Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

giro d’italia 2021-fantasyland

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

giro d’italia 2021-fantasyland

Old 05-23-21, 02:20 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
looks like Grain Brain and d (e)strong(o) are about to ascend the leaderboard, slide past a couple of putters and, consequently,
relegate slcbob and myself into a gladiatorial struggle for the maglia nera. that short sword always pokes me in unspeakable
places and the sandals are a size too small. for those about to...
Old 05-24-21, 01:24 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
I was thinking back fondly to the days before I read David Hunter wax lyrically about how Remco was going to take the opening TT and the whole enchilada. I think that team had Yates, Ganna, and Martinez on it. I'm not really sure. It's all a blur now.

What I wish was more blurry is the couple of DFLs in our little league that I've had in the past few stages and my clear trajectory to the bottom of our pack. At least my floundering provides redemption for others who can now float up to be the cream of the crap. I still may wind up in the top 80% of the general population so the proper maglia nera is too good for me, but I am going to snatch that maglia marrone of our little league. ooga-booga , I hope the broom wagon doesn't treat us like the Bike Exchange car did Serry.
Old 05-24-21, 01:53 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by slcbob
I was thinking back fondly to the days before I read David Hunter wax lyrically about how Remco was going to take the opening TT and the whole enchilada. I think that team had Yates, Ganna, and Martinez on it. I'm not really sure. It's all a blur now.

What I wish was more blurry is the couple of DFLs in our little league that I've had in the past few stages and my clear trajectory to the bottom of our pack. At least my floundering provides redemption for others who can now float up to be the cream of the crap. I still may wind up in the top 80% of the general population so the proper maglia nera is too good for me, but I am going to snatch that maglia marrone of our little league. ooga-booga , I hope the broom wagon doesn't treat us like the Bike Exchange car did Serry.
depends on who's driving...if it's @USAZorro or @canam73, we're both in serry/hoogerland territory. probably much deserved but still...ouch.

truly thought buchmann had a good chance to finish as high as second and as low as sixth. bummed we didn't get to see him go the distance. strikes me as more of a tdf guy vs punchy vuelta guy.
still hoping carthy can climb into the top three but current status in the 4th-6th range is probably more realistic.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-24-21 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 02:08 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Oh, poor Johnny. We were talking here about that garish incident a few days ago. I think a glimpse of barbed wire triggered the PTSD.

I'll be Flecha and take the shot from the TV car. You can have the barbed wire and the gory glory on the podium.

GrainBrain , that was before your time. Google "Hoogerland barbed wire" and try to catch some of the ride to the podium, not just the crash site.

I'll have to take more of these walks down memory lane to keep myself amused as we in the autobus soft pedal our way to the finish. Don't worry; I won't post them. Well, not all of them. There isn't a time cut, is there?
Old 05-24-21, 04:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Oh, poor Johnny. We were talking here about that garish incident a few days ago. I think a glimpse of barbed wire triggered the PTSD.

I'll be Flecha and take the shot from the TV car. You can have the barbed wire and the gory glory on the podium.

GrainBrain , that was before your time. Google "Hoogerland barbed wire" and try to catch some of the ride to the podium, not just the crash site.

I'll have to take more of these walks down memory lane to keep myself amused as we in the autobus soft pedal our way to the finish. Don't worry; I won't post them. Well, not all of them. There isn't a time cut, is there?
please attempt to exclude our boy menchov from the proceedings...oops.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-24-21, 11:01 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

The Dauphine can't get here soon enough! It starts this Sunday while all the people I didn't pick roll into Milano for glory.

Another chance to choose poorly excel.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 05-24-21, 03:43 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
"Must...hold......on....." They're breathing down my neck.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-24-21, 04:22 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by 2cam16
"Must...hold......on....." They're breathing down my neck.
Channel your inner Taco or Fortunato. NOT your Rasmussen or Talansky.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 05-25-21, 02:24 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

rest day due recap:

not including blow by blow weather predictions stage by stage here as i don't get paid enuff for this particular gig.
let's just assume the weather in italy will continue to be cold, windy and rainy during the remaining giro stages.

stage seventeen-30 kms of hard ascent mixed with hard descent. may possibly be the best chance for the race to get reshuffled. if the stage isn't shortened...carthy.

stage eighteen-classics styled finish last 35 kms. sagan.

stage nineteen-screams breakaway. maybe cataldo, mollema or roche. cataldo. *edit the edited stage...sticking with cataldo. that actually happens, i'm retiring from the workplace.*

stage twenty-last chance for mountain romance. bernal gifts it to dani martinez.

stage twenty one-tt flatfest. plenty of hard turns in that first two-thirds of the course. last third relatively straight. cavagna.

MTBrider looking to go wire to wire. currently haz a little pin...er...points cushion with the gc 10, 11 and 12 riders onboard. those riders (d martin, formolo and almeida) need to make serious hay
in the last few stages. most immediate challenger-canam73-haz the #1, 5 & 6 current gc riders. those end of tour final gc classification points are huge. looking at approx a 650 point diff if things stay the way they are.
some other possibilities but canam73 looks to be in a good spot if current trends continue. maglia nera is as nebulous...donaldo solidly entrenched but if yatesie goes off in the final stages, all bets are off.
will recap after stage nineteen.

wacky wacky giro.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-26-21 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 02:34 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

*exclusive bonus* historical fantasy giro analysis by our very own @slcbob...

I feel like I'm pedaling Cadel's bike for the last 2k of Tre Cime, watching all you folks pass me by here at the end.

See you in France.
Old 05-25-21, 03:29 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Solid recap.

Let's take a moment to celebrate your predictions. About the weather. Those have been on point. The shortened stage? Nailed it! Have you considered any of the meteorological professions?

History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes. I don't recall what was wrong with Cadel's bike. Maybe Remco does. But I seem to be going in the same direction. At least we haven't seen Andy's mom scattering thumb tacks in the road. Yet.
Old 05-25-21, 12:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

forgot to add on the recap that 8 of the top 21 riders on gc are also eligible in the young riders competition. bodes well for the giro in the next handful of years.
Old 05-26-21, 01:56 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Solid recap.

Let's take a moment to celebrate your predictions. About the weather. Those have been on point. The shortened stage? Nailed it! Have you considered any of the meteorological professions?

History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes. I don't recall what was wrong with Cadel's bike. Maybe Remco does. But I seem to be going in the same direction. At least we haven't seen Andy's mom scattering thumb tacks in the road. Yet.
let's not and say we didn't. oh, the legacy of horrible predictions! truth be told...it's done to make everyone else that's not dumb enuff to commit their pix to pixels feel better about their chances at any particular moment/race.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-26-21 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-26-21, 02:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

congrats to those of us that actually took cepeda. total goose egg so far. he is in exclusive company tho...only four riders priced at 6 velobux or less have scored
zero points. yay?

the dauphiné looks like a blast again.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/criterium-du-dauphine/
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...age-1/overview

Last edited by diphthong; 05-26-21 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-26-21, 03:53 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Re: Dauphine - Rohan, Geraint, Carapaz
Old 05-26-21, 04:50 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Does it strike anyone as funny that 3 of the 4 of us in the basement of our humble little league are the ones that make the most [horrible] predictions here?
Old 05-26-21, 10:51 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
stage seventeen-30 kms of hard ascent mixed with hard descent. may possibly be the best chance for the race to get reshuffled. if the stage isn't shortened...carthy.
Well that was the kiss of death for poor Hugh. Make sure you're not home when Vaughters knocks. I'm going into witness protection with my Remco pick. LeFevre is a mob boss. He says he didn't buy into all the hype, but that doesn't mean he'll forgive.

I guess the fat lady is going to stand up for a little while longer before she chooses who to sit on and when to sing. Today made things a little more interesting and it will make 19 & 20 a lot more interesting.

If Cepeda doesn't take stage 18 after the anti-matter boost he just received, perhaps Brambilla will make it interesting and not just a Sagan coronation. Old Peter has a good haul of velopoints and it's a good reminder that failing to choose him is done at your own peril. I want to but can't bring myself to hear the drums for Fernando; perhaps it's something else in the air that night.
Old 05-26-21, 11:26 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
What a teammate Martinez was for Bernal today. Super impressive to actually turn in his saddle in a difficult section, look Bernal in the eyes and shout encouragement, with a few fist pumps for good measure.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Last edited by dstrong; 05-26-21 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Marinez...not Caruso
Likes For dstrong:
Old 05-26-21, 03:38 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Thank you Danny Boy, for keeping me alive. lol
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-27-21, 01:30 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Does it strike anyone as funny that 3 of the 4 of us in the basement of our humble little league are the ones that make the most [horrible] predictions here?
feeling personally attacked...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-27-21, 01:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Well that was the kiss of death for poor Hugh. Make sure you're not home when Vaughters knocks. I'm going into witness protection with my Remco pick. LeFevre is a mob boss. He says he didn't buy into all the hype, but that doesn't mean he'll forgive.

I guess the fat lady is going to stand up for a little while longer before she chooses who to sit on and when to sing. Today made things a little more interesting and it will make 19 & 20 a lot more interesting.

If Cepeda doesn't take stage 18 after the anti-matter boost he just received, perhaps Brambilla will make it interesting and not just a Sagan coronation. Old Peter has a good haul of velopoints and it's a good reminder that failing to choose him is done at your own peril. I want to but can't bring myself to hear the drums for Fernando; perhaps it's something else in the air that night.
why should you have all the fun?
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-27-21, 07:51 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

If Cavagna and Bevin emerge near the front of this break, it's going to ruin my run at the Maglia Marrone. ooga-booga is always playing at these mind games. And winning.

What was the name of that dirt bag that suggested Cepeda might be a value pick? I want to make sure I don't hear any of his nonsense before the Dauphine. After Remco, I'm not sure I'm listening to the mole again, either.

Last edited by slcbob; 05-27-21 at 10:32 AM. Reason: because typos made me look stoopid
Old 05-27-21, 09:54 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

If Cavagna and Bevin emerge near the front of this break, it's going to ruin my run at the Maglia Marrone. ooga-booga is always playing at these mind games. And winning.

What was the name of that dirt bag that suggested Cepeda might be a value pick? I want to make sure I don't here any of his nonsense before the Dauphine. After Remco, I'm not sure I'm listening to the mole again, either.
so much winning...have you seen the standings lately?
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-27-21, 10:30 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Thank you Danny Boy, for keeping me alive. lol
The hills, the hills are calling!

Two stage winners in a row and Cavagna got some points as well today! Well done and thank you for really making me guilty about not picking Dan Martin or Betiol!

Oh yeah a resurgent Almeida, final TT with Ganna and Sagan in purple I think your looking good. Enough to hold off canam with Bernal and end of tour points?

Last edited by GrainBrain; 05-27-21 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 05-27-21, 10:32 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by dstrong
What a teammate Martinez was for Bernal today. Super impressive to actually turn in his saddle in a difficult section, look Bernal in the eyes and shout encouragement, with a few fist pumps for good measure.
Can't wait to watch replay of that stage, I'm a sucker for feel good moments!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.