Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Warranty Related

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 06:46 PM
Aagra1207

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale New Supersix Evo 105 disc minor dent on Top tube

Hello Guys,

Need advice! I recently bought a new Cannondale SSEvo 105 Disc. While buying I noticed there is very small depression or dent kind of on the top tube. When I asked the shop keeper he just said it is just clear coat lift issue and is not an issue. So i didn't made a big deal and brought it. But because it is on top tube, i see it every time when I ride. Although it is not causing any issue whatsoever but just after spending full price this is not satisfying. I reached again to the shop and they said if I want I can raise the warranty claim but will have to leave the bike in the shop and Cannondale warranty team will inspect it and then decide what needs to be done.

I am not sure what should I do. I don't know with so much scarcity of bike in the market if Cannondale will have any replacement and how much time this will take. Also i am bit paranoid in leaving my new bike in the bike shop for extended period of time. I am attaching pic which clearly shows the dent. Please advice based on your experience.

Also I tried to press the top tube with thumb and it flexes little bit but I found that is normal as I went to the shop and tried with another SSEvo and it flexes ...probably top tube is very thin carbon

i have circled the point where there is a dent.
Old 05-25-21, 07:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I would not have bought that particular bike. It's probably not a big deal but it's not supposed to be there.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-25-21, 07:11 PM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I would not have bought that particular bike. It's probably not a big deal but it's not supposed to be there.
Well unfortunately I can't change that...so do you suggest to go for warranty claim?
Old 05-25-21, 08:50 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
One option is to put a sticker over it.

https://www.vcgraphix.com/collection...-name-stickers

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/cannondale+stickers
Likes For themp:
Old 05-25-21, 09:01 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If I were you I'd ride the bike for now until winter. Supply should hopefully be better then, and it'll cut into what I assume is your prime riding season more. I agree that it's almost certainly cosmetic.
Old 05-25-21, 09:27 PM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpach
If I were you I'd ride the bike for now until winter. Supply should hopefully be better then, and it'll cut into what I assume is your prime riding season more. I agree that it's almost certainly cosmetic.
Thx..i also tried the tap test and i dont hear any dead spots so i also feel it is cosmetic
Old 05-27-21, 11:25 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
So you purchased a product knowing there was a defect, getting much from the manufacture for warranty could be challenging, far better would to have asked for a discount for the imperfection at the time of purchase, as asking for one now will be harder as you have no leverage over the shop.
Old 05-28-21, 11:01 AM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Guys,

Need advice! I recently bought a new Cannondale SSEvo 105 Disc. While buying I noticed there is very small depression or dent kind of on the top tube. When I asked the shop keeper he just said it is just clear coat lift issue and is not an issue. So i didn't made a big deal and brought it. But because it is on top tube, i see it every time when I ride. Although it is not causing any issue whatsoever but just after spending full price this is not satisfying. I reached again to the shop and they said if I want I can raise the warranty claim but will have to leave the bike in the shop and Cannondale warranty team will inspect it and then decide what needs to be done.

I am not sure what should I do. I don't know with so much scarcity of bike in the market if Cannondale will have any replacement and how much time this will take. Also i am bit paranoid in leaving my new bike in the bike shop for extended period of time. I am attaching pic which clearly shows the dent. Please advice based on your experience.

Also I tried to press the top tube with thumb and it flexes little bit but I found that is normal as I went to the shop and tried with another SSEvo and it flexes ...probably top tube is very thin carbon

Also I have ridden it for around 150 miles so far and there is no problem in riding...
so I want to understand if anyone of you have experience with Cannondale Warraty claims and should I go for it as of now?

i have circled the point where there is a dent.

although it is very hard to see but I have marked two circles where there is very very minor bump if you trace with your finger...it is visible if you see from an angle..hard to capture on image
Old 05-28-21, 11:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just my opinion, but they'll have a hard time making a case that the *imperfection* is a dent caused by you. Technically it's a defect and they should cover it. It's too bad the shop didn't have the fortitude to file a claim before they sold it to you.
Old 05-28-21, 11:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
Duplicate? https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-top-tube.html
Old 05-28-21, 12:07 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
That does not look like a LIFT issue but a dent/depression but in photos can be hard to ascertain. I guess I'm also somewhat surprised that a carbon top tube would yield to pressing on your and those other bikes. I'd have to head down to the basement and press my Trek Madone in various places....

While we can sometimes be too perfectionist, I can understand your position. I'd pursue it.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-21, 12:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Aagra1207
While buying I noticed there is very small depression or dent kind of on the top tube. When I asked the shop keeper he just said it is just clear coat lift issue and is not an issue.
Shoulda stopped buying it right there.

Although it is not causing any issue whatsoever but just after spending full price this is not satisfying.
Weigh whether it bugs you enough to be without the bike for awhile.

I am not sure what should I do. I don't know with so much scarcity of bike in the market if Cannondale will have any replacement and how much time this will take.
Yup. The dealer should be able to help give you a time estimate, but stock levels are pretty inconsistent these days and for the foreseeable future.

Also i am bit paranoid in leaving my new bike in the bike shop for extended period of time
I wouldn't worry about that. It'll just hang there until this is resolved, or they'll ship it back.

if anyone of you have experience with Cannondale Warraty claims
Cannondale has always been responsive to warranty claims at the shop I worked at (mostly fork issues).

should I go for it as of now?
This is going to have to be your call. Again, discuss it with the shop. See if they can get Cannondale on the phone while you're there.

And I'd bet you dollars to dognuts that it was shipping damage -- I've seen other bikes with dented top tubes where they lashed the handlebar without enough padding between.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-28-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 12:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you since you bought it knowing you were going to worry about it and be fussy about the looks.

I doubt it's anything structurally to worry about. Especially if you aren't riding it in a BMX type of event.
Old 05-28-21, 12:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Why the hell did you buy it, knowing the imperfection was there?

At a minimum, you should have at least asked for a discount. But since it apparently bothers you, I just keep coming back to the question above.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-28-21, 01:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
The first place to start when evaluating a potential warranty claim is, you know, the terms of the warranty. If, for example, the warranty only covers defects in materials and workmanship and that "imperfection" were caused during shipping or something that happened at the dealer, I think you would be SOL.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-28-21, 01:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
Certainly an unfortunate lapse in judgement. And of course your options are diminished due to Covid shortages. I agree you should start by discussing it with the shop.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-28-21 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 01:15 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Just my opinion, but they'll have a hard time making a case that the *imperfection* is a dent caused by you. Technically it's a defect and they should cover it. It's too bad the shop didn't have the fortitude to file a claim before they sold it to you.
Agree, the shop never should have sold you this frame even though it might just be cosmetic. You pay top $ for a new bike and that is what you should receive.
I would not even buy it at a small discount, as it will hurt the resale value.

Now saying all that, I did buy a carbon bike that was advertised as having a small blemish from Framed for around $900 a few years ago. I know it was heavily discounted and I never did find a blemish in the frame or fork.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 05-28-21 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 01:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Merged duplicate threads. Please do not crosspost.

Old 05-28-21, 02:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
Agree, the shop never should have sold you this frame even though it might just be cosmetic. You pay top $ for a new bike and that is what you should receive.
correct. I got a custom built bike a couple years ago… The frame was sent back to the builder three times before the shop was satisfied with the paint job. None of the flaws were as noticeable as the one in the OP‘s picture.
Old 05-28-21, 02:58 PM
waxcrazy

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Cannondale just gave me a BRAND new bike for a warranty exchange on a 1992 mountain bike that I recently found out had a fork recall and was never notified..Bike was in the shop for over a month but they did not *****foot around and went above and beyond in my situation... I have a Specialized now and can't even get a human to speak to me about some questions.... Cannondale is a stand up company... You may lose some riding time but if you are unhappy it may be worth it.. Having the dealership go to bat for you would also be in your corner... Good luck... That dent should not be there.. I'm sure that is the first thing your eye goes to if you are anything like me.