Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling shorts

Old 06-14-21, 01:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
When i first took up riding, i rode in street cloths. I thought cycling cloths were silly. A few years later, I somewhow switched. And was really upset that I hadn't done so sooner. SO much more comfortable. So better at managing sweat.
I'm sure that's how you feel about it now, but that may be hindsight. If you had thought the "silly" clothes were a necessity, you might never have started biking. I have talked to people who say they'd like to bike, but they don't want to wear the clothes. Under those circumstances, I encourage them to try it in street clothes (not jeans, duh). I think they're more likely to figure out they like biking that way and then try on the clothes than they are to figure this out the other way around.

My case is a bit special--I've found the best way to ascertain the latex content of clothes is for me to put them on and see how big a rash it gives me. So. I have to avoid cycling kit out of necessity, and I get super-amused by people telling me I can't do what I'm doing in the clothes I wear.
Old 06-14-21, 01:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I DO suffer with out it...when i was riding in the summer, wearing ordinary shorts iwth underwear, I would get HORRIBLE itching. And worse. Cycling shorts got rid of that. Maybe depends on how much you sweat?
Probably depends on a lot of things. Any latex, and I'm itching more than possibly could be caused by sweat.

I think there may be more than one group here--people who know they'll suffer, people who think they might suffer, and people who are fine without the special clothes. I also think there's a lot more riding being done by that third group than people on BF might suspect. We get stuck in our atypical sample of cyclists here.
Old 06-14-21, 03:04 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Probably depends on a lot of things. Any latex, and I'm itching more than possibly could be caused by sweat.

I think there may be more than one group here--people who know they'll suffer, people who think they might suffer, and people who are fine without the special clothes. I also think there's a lot more riding being done by that third group than people on BF might suspect. We get stuck in our atypical sample of cyclists here.
The winter is what led me to wearing cycling clothig. I was commuting to work in street cloths. And even in winter I'd sweat some. I was wearing jeans or dockers....and then: the wind would come through, hit the sweat, and I'd be freezing extra. So I got some cycling tights. And they were a revelation. Next summer, I gave cycling shorts a try: and suddenly, despite all my previous desire to never wear them, felt liberated.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 06-15-21, 04:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

My case is a bit special--I've found the best way to ascertain the latex content of clothes is for me to put them on and see how big a rash it gives me. So. I have to avoid cycling kit out of necessity, and I get super-amused by people telling me I can't do what I'm doing in the clothes I wear.
There is plenty of cycling clothing without latex, especially on the more casual road, gravel/mtb side of things. But who are these people telling YOU you can't do what you are doing in the clothes you choose? You can ride in a gorilla suit for all anyone cares. It's more your advice to others asking about cycling clothes that people would tend to disagree with. Just because they don't work for you, doesn't make them "silly" clothes as you put it.
Old 06-15-21, 09:05 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I own a fitness hybrid bike and want to get cycling shorts. I notice there is mountain biking shorts and the road bike shirts , I like mountain biking Ones because they have pockets and look more casual , but is the comfort going to be worse ?

which type should I get and how much should I spend ?
please recommend some models that are reasonable priced
Just wear whatever works best for you whether it's a hybrid, mountain, or road bike. Personally, I like gel padded shorts. However, I also have non gel padded mtn bike shorts with pockets.
Old 06-15-21, 10:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I haven't reidden "mountatin bike" type shorts in 15 or 20 years, so maybe things have changed. When I first got cycing shorts,....that's what I got. When i switched, I found road bike shorts to be way more comfortable. But maybe they're better now. I've bought a lot of shorts from an online place, I've bought some from aerotech design that are pretty good, and cheaper than Pearl Izumi...I've never bought their shorts, but I've bought tights from places like Nashbar and Performance bike, and they tend to end up having problems (like defective zippers at the ankles).
I still have a couple of pairs of quality mtb shorts from 15-20 years ago. What I notice with the latest mtb shorts is that they are much lighter and more breathable, yet just as durable. Mtb liners are also a lot better than they used to be.

Having said that I still think road bib-shorts are the most comfortable to ride in. But they are less versatile and not as tough. I ride a lot of narrow singletrack with overhanging trees and bushes that would potentially shred my road bibs.

So it’s horses for courses. Road bibs for road riding and mtb shorts for trail riding.
Old 06-16-21, 07:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When i first took up riding, i rode in street cloths. I thought cycling cloths were silly. A few years later, I somewhow switched. And was really upset that I hadn't done so sooner. SO much more comfortable. So better at managing sweat.
I, too, have evolved in this way. When I first started out a few years back, I would ride in regular shorts and a cotton T-shirt. It didn't take long for me to realize that wearing a cotton T-shirt in high heat and humidity means that it would quickly get soaked, but not wick away or evaporate to provide cooling. Instead, it felt like I was covered in a wet blanket. I quickly bought nylon workout shirts and cycling jerseys which wick moisture away, keep me cooler, and are far more comfortable. And while I still wear gym shorts for short rides, like my morning 10 mile rides, I have gotten a pair of proper bike shorts which I'll wear on long rides.

But I'm still not interested in clipless pedals & shoes, though.
Old 06-16-21, 07:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I heard on tv that if you have one of those that lasts for more than two hours you should seek emergency treatment.
Or just look at a picture of Rosie O'Donnell.
Old 06-16-21, 07:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The winter is what led me to wearing cycling clothig. I was commuting to work in street cloths. And even in winter I'd sweat some. I was wearing jeans or dockers....and then: the wind would come through, hit the sweat, and I'd be freezing extra. So I got some cycling tights. And they were a revelation. Next summer, I gave cycling shorts a try: and suddenly, despite all my previous desire to never wear them, felt liberated.

I think this is the way most people come around to wearing cycling clothes--they find themselves enjoying the riding, then look to improve it.

I've specifically had people tell me they didn't want to ride because they didn't want to wear the clothes, all I've said is that I tell them they should try the riding without the clothes then, and you'd think from some of the responses I've gotten here that I'd ripped the clothes out of their hands as they were eager to wear them.

That last part isn't aimed at you, by the way.
Old 06-25-21, 10:08 AM
Cakonopka

Bikes: Cube Attain Pro 2020

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From personal experience as long as they are decent quality and some good padding either should be fine. Unless your needing aero benefits. I used to find the MTB shorts did bunch up etc a little.
Old 03-16-22, 02:10 AM
melisaford

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own custom padded short from vizapparel.com, I used them for both mountain biking and for cycling too, the shorts are super comfy, lightweight, and also affordable