Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Abiding hatred for bicycle derailleur drive trains

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Abiding hatred for bicycle derailleur drive trains

Old 05-22-21, 08:56 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I hope that everyone realizes that the OP has an even more abiding hatred for BF. Considering this is his only thread but it took him almost 50 years to get around to ranting about derailleurs.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-22-21, 09:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
I hate bicycle tires and tubes. They go flat, they require air, they wear out, they are tough to take on and off, they have to be checked for air and require taking the wheels off, don’t get me started on removing a wheel, to change a tire or tube. Then when riding in the middle of nowhere they go flat and you have to carry tools, spare tube, patch kit, OMG! Why don’t they make solid rubber tires or run flats or the ones with a plastic honeycomb inside that never need air or go flat? Many more bikes would be sold and ridden if there were no maintenance tires and tubes.

Yes I am kidding.

Old 05-23-21, 06:41 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ariane
The haters who rubbish Rohloff hubs and other gearboxes like Pinion are people who cannot afford them. The drag is so much of a non issue..
I have been riding a Rholoff this year that I got in trade to cover a debt. I much prefer my old derailleur system, and I do consider the drag an issue.
Old 05-23-21, 09:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
The OP should be in the Hall of Fame. He started this thread a year-and-a-half ago, it has over 150 responses, and his total post count is still only 2!
Old 05-24-21, 02:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I don't hate derailleurs but my next bike will have a Rohloff, disc brakes, and a belt drive.
Old 05-24-21, 02:33 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
I have to say that derailleur drivetrains are like democracy. They are the worst system for changing gears except for everything else that has been tried.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-24-21, 08:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
NO noise??? LOL hahahahaha
The newest itteration of defaileur bikes sound like little kids' and New Years Eve noisemakers, when coasting. I would ride ZERO miles with such. I hear their grinding shifts 50 feet away. Then there's the clips crunching in when starting up. Gross.

But yah, my Rohloff is noisy too, going up hills. My SA wheels are silent except for the click the shift makes. I HATE noise.
Nope, in probably 98 out of 100 shifts on both my bike and trike all you hear is the click of my twist shifter.

I you hear a lot of ratchet and clatter coming from the rear on a shift, your adjustments are bad. And you have to know the art of shifting.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-25-21, 06:29 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Let's stop this incessant bickering and all agree to going back to A) a Schwinn American with a 2-speed kickback hub or B) a Schwinn Collegiate with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub. Both with coaster brakes, of course.
Old 05-25-21, 08:54 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
Once you go Rohloff you will never go back. This is one long ass thread. I have had my Rohloff for over 7 years. I do not miss derailleurs or chains. It is easy enough to remove the wheel and repair a flat and that has happened exactly once so far. It was more costly than the derailleur version. Around $1000.00 more. The derailleur model weighs 17oz less than the Rohloff version. The Rohloff is a 7 speed with a reduction set to have 14 gears. I read an article where Thorn was interviewing Rohloff. They stated that it is possible under certain conditions for the hub to jump from gear 7 to gear 14. The next day it did just that and only that one time. I haven't been able to repeat that situation. At first the lower 7 gears were quite noisy. Not so much now. The oil in the hub can weep out some over time leaving an oil mist on either side that I wipe off. This seems to happen mostly after an oil change. Rohloff states that it is impossible for enough oil to leak out that the internals would be damaged. Rohloff wont guarantee their hub with a belt drive unless you use a snubber. So I'm guessing the force of a snapping belt could scramble the gears. My Co-Motion came with their version of the Rohloff grip shifter fit to drop bars. I have changed handlebars several times and my new bars from Velo Orange are the crazy bar. And being a lefty I ordered the optional Rohloff left handed shifter. Changing the shift cables is different enough that I have to say I am thankful for YouTube. There are some variations in how you wire the Rohloff shifter in different versions of aftermarket products. CyclingAbout has allot of experience using the Rohloff hub and articles explaining the pros and cons.
Likes For Rick:
Old 05-26-21, 08:54 AM
Ariane

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TricycleTom
I have been riding a Rholoff this year that I got in trade to cover a debt. I much prefer my old derailleur system, and I do consider the drag an issue.
Well the Rohloff hub you have may well have not been looked after properly as drag has never been my experience with my Rohloff hubs.
Old 05-26-21, 10:32 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ariane
Well the Rohloff hub you have may well have not been looked after properly as drag has never been my experience with my Rohloff hubs.
That hub has had very little use, and no abuse. You can look up the official minimum drag, whereas many "performance parts" have no measurable effect at all. Human power is precious, and human brains are built to conserve it. That's why we ride bicycles. It is unfortunate that direct drive to a big wheel loses efficiency in other ways, but quite wonderful that a chain drive can both transfer power, and provide a wide gear range. If there is a chain, gears are redundant.
Old 05-26-21, 10:46 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
I kinda hate deraiulleurs, chains and cassettes myself. I like the idea of pinion drive bike or this new technology called Ceramic speed that might hit the market soon. Problem for me becomes price or price and weight compared to the conventional system.

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycling/d3

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycl...ain-revolution

https://pinion.eu/en/mtb/

Last edited by prj71; 05-27-21 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-26-21, 11:56 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Nope, in probably 98 out of 100 shifts on both my bike and trike all you hear is the click of my twist shifter.

I you hear a lot of ratchet and clatter coming from the rear on a shift, your adjustments are bad. And you have to know the art of shifting.
I happened to be biking on the road that was closed for a regional bike race while I was on it, so I got to watch the race which I normally don't get the opportunity to do. I was on top of a climb, nothing drastic, just decent hill ending in a pass with the road starting to drop into descent almost right away, and when the main pack of some 30 riders went over the top, it was a cacophony of mechanical noise from the shifting, pretty impressive but certainly not silent.
Makes me wonder how it is on the roadside when pro racers in a pack need to shift simultaneously like in the situation I just described.
Old 05-26-21, 12:02 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by TCollen
Let's stop this incessant bickering and all agree to going back to A) a Schwinn American with a 2-speed kickback hub or B) a Schwinn Collegiate with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub. Both with coaster brakes, of course.
Thanks, but I’ll stick with single speed, particularly if it means I don’t have to use a coaster brake. 😊

Otto
Old 05-26-21, 12:46 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
That hub has had very little use, and no abuse. You can look up the official minimum drag, whereas many "performance parts" have no measurable effect at all. Human power is precious, and human brains are built to conserve it. That's why we ride bicycles. It is unfortunate that direct drive to a big wheel loses efficiency in other ways, but quite wonderful that a chain drive can both transfer power, and provide a wide gear range. If there is a chain, gears are redundant.
Sounds like you are having a real drag over this. CyclingAbout has the most comprehensive info on anything Rohloff. I can't detect the difference in efficiency and once your derailleur chain system gets a little dirt mixed in with the oil, it is not in any way an advantage. Like most people I rode the cheaply produced overpriced derailleur setup for years. Compared to the Rohloff with a belt, the derailleur system is a high maintenance B!. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go somewhere in my car I want to drive it. Even though there is maintenance to be done on a car, It is not a high maintenance B!. I just want to ride my bicycle and not mess with the drive train and the Rohloff with a belt accomplishes this. Once you go Rohloff you will never go back!
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-21-21, 12:04 PM
Ariane

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TricycleTom
You know what, I just prefer riding my bike with Rohloff hub and Gates belt. I'm not a weird nerd who spends ages researching stuff to support their dislike or dissatisfaction of something. If you really don't like the Rohloff hub then sell it. Perhaps you should ride yours more. The more miles you put on them the 'freer' they become. Yours probably isn't even run in yet if it's had little use, so still quite 'tight'.
Likes For Ariane:
Old 06-21-21, 07:17 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
NO noise??? LOL hahahahaha
The newest itteration of defaileur bikes sound like little kids' and New Years Eve noisemakers, when coasting. I would ride ZERO miles with such. I hear their grinding shifts 50 feet away. Then there's the clips crunching in when starting up. Gross.

But yah, my Rohloff is noisy too, going up hills. My SA wheels are silent except for the click the shift makes. I HATE noise.
Not so at all!!!!! If you have a good quality RD, and ALL the adjustments that affect the shifting are correct, and your shifting technique is correct, the RD just walks the chain up and down with almost no noise what so ever.

It does take a good mechanical tech that knows ALL the adjustments, and as a say a good rider that know the secrets to good shifting.

Last edited by rydabent; 06-21-21 at 07:26 PM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-24-21, 09:10 AM
drahimi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chain drives with derailleurs are a beautifully evolved design. Yes, they need to be cleaned and maintained, but so does the rest of the bike. I happen to enjoy the maintenance part, though I know many people don't. How about internal gear hubs and belt drive? Much cleaner, to be sure.
Old 06-24-21, 09:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Things got a lot better for me once I stopped putting oil on chains and moved to wax based lubes about 15 years ago. Now I have nice clean drivetrains that require very little maintenance.
Likes For PeteHski: