Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 06-21-21, 06:35 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 06-21-21, 06:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
B.O.B done for now. Used thin two-hole conduit clips to anchor the copper to the trailer but they give under movement so I added thicker one-hole clips for reinforcement. Slotted one clip for a screw to move in that acts as a stop at the ends of the swing when deploying or stowing the stand. Now the mesh flexes so I need to add a reinforcing plate but this should support the weight I expect this thing to haul.

Old 06-26-21, 04:20 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Modified some fenders and bent some bike bits to fit 42-622 tyres on the Koga-Miyata Graveller and redished a front wheel because my laziness caught up with me.
The rear fender cut would have been cleaner if it didn't turn out the chainstay bridge/kickstand plate was too close and needed to be bent up- and backwards.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 06-27-21, 07:18 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Atala patiently waited for it’s turn on the stand...a little Phil’s on some key areas and I was down the road! Just around the block!

Great ride, and it’s pretty! Stupid busy! Gotta find some quality ride time for this one!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 06-27-21, 07:21 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by billnuke1
Atala patiently waited for it’s turn on the stand...a little Phil’s on some key areas and I was down the road! Just around the block!

Great ride, and it’s pretty! Stupid busy! Gotta find some quality ride time for this one!

Actually, the brakes sucked! Gotta clean the rims off!
Old 06-28-21, 02:16 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Fixed some clearance issues of the front fender using rivets.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-01-21, 11:53 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Likes For leftthread:
Old 07-01-21, 01:06 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 425 Posts
Just picked up this Vitus, every time I find a Vitus there is always issues. I had to drill out one of the shift cables out of the shifters and there’s two dings on the frame. It was missing wheels and a front derailleur, but it came with new frame decals. A friend brought me a derailleur today so I’ll be able to finish it tomorrow.
Old 07-01-21, 02:20 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I picked up this Andy Gilmour tandem recently for cheap. I did a complete overhaul and replaced the straight bars, stem, cheap friction thumbies and rear derailleur with upgraded components. I had everything except the new rear brake cable which I had to purchase.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 07-03-21, 12:53 PM
leftthread

Next in this week's episode of "Seized Stem:"

After a boatload of Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, heat on the stem plug in the steerer tube and various whacks, nothing. My body weight on the headset wrench is not budging the knurled adjustable cup on the 600 headset either. Cool Nitto stem though.
Old 07-03-21, 04:21 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I've been doing a lot of repair to the horse barns as horses get pretty bored and chew on things. That includes painting and, today, while waiting for the paint to dry I decided to make a proper FW holder. I've had a rough one of these cobbled together. I clamp it into my strong vice and it holds very well while I use "the mother of all chain whips" to loosen the screwed on cogs, as needed. I decided I should have a well made one, suitable for the four sizes of large cog I have in my collection. Simple but effective.

You can see the cog sizes written near each set of screw holes. Easy. The goop in the screw holes is bee's wax to lubricate the threads, making repeated insertion and retraction easy. Screws are about 25 mm long. The lumber is 1 1/2"
Likes For Prowler:
Old 07-03-21, 04:29 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I've been doing a lot of repair to the horse barns as horses get pretty bored and chew on things. That includes painting and, today, while waiting for the paint to dry I decided to make a proper FW holder. I've had a rough one of these cobbled together. I clamp it into my strong vice and it holds very well while I use "the mother of all chain whips" to loosen the screwed on cogs, as needed. I decided I should have a well made one, suitable for the four sizes of large cog I have in my collection. Simple but effective.

You can see the cog sizes written near each set of screw holes. Easy. The goop in the screw holes is bee's wax to lubricate the threads, making repeated insertion and retraction easy. Screws are about 25 mm long. The lumber is 1 1/2"
So cogs are just screwed onto a multi speed freewheel? Similar to how the freewheel screws unto the hub?
Old 07-03-21, 05:36 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
So cogs are just screwed onto a multi speed freewheel? Similar to how the freewheel screws unto the hub?
I cannot make a broad sweeping statement like that. My fav FWs (Suntour) vary over the years. Some have only the first cog screwed on, others 2 or 3. The rest are splined on. The design changed over the years. I'm not too familiar with Shimano or others. pastorbobnlnh is the foremost authority. As with all things Bicycle, you have to study, ask questions and "conduct unspeakable experiments" to learn all that stuff.

Many folks do not care as they would never consider disassembling a FW and servicing it. I have the skill set, the tools and the time. And it amuses me.
Old 07-03-21, 07:12 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I cannot make a broad sweeping statement like that. My fav FWs (Suntour) vary over the years. Some have only the first cog screwed on, others 2 or 3. The rest are splined on. The design changed over the years. I'm not too familiar with Shimano or others. pastorbobnlnh is the foremost authority. As with all things Bicycle, you have to study, ask questions and "conduct unspeakable experiments" to learn all that stuff.

Many folks do not care as they would never consider disassembling a FW and servicing it. I have the skill set, the tools and the time. And it amuses me.
I think the knowledge would be useful and fun to pull the cogs off a cheap 6 speed. Turn into a single speed by reinstalling one cog and changing where that cog is to get chain line straight. Like a ghetto cassette system.

I didn’t have a freewheel tool when I pulled freewheel off one of my kids bikes to give her easier gearing. Saw all the tiny balls as I destroyed it.

Determined that if a freewheel needs more than synthetic auto oil/gear oil/ATF to wake it up- then it’s beyond what I’ll deal with.
Old 07-03-21, 07:46 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Thank you prowler for bringing this up. For some reason I thought they were pinned together or something.

Thank you RJ. Calvin Jones. Sheldon Brown.
Old 07-04-21, 03:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
1973 Raleigh Grand Sport

I've been working on a '73 Raleigh Gran Sport. It's a 22 and a 1/2 (57) CT so I think it's my size but it does look a bit small. I may have to run a tallish stem to make this fit right. It has nice zeus drop outs but the PO chopped off the hanger and used a raleigh branded suntour on a hanger. The bike has been spread to 126 mm. The frame is in nice shape paint wise. It's missing the Carlton decal on the seat tube and the 531 stickers but I can get those from VeloCals. It came to me with a very nice brooks leather saddle, a nifty 13-30 7 speed Maillard freewheel, and nice quality suntour derailleurs and shifters. The wheels are mismatched but they're in good shape as well.

It has 3 issues.

(1) There is some rust on inside of the seattube. I've never done an OA bath but I'm likely to try one out on this bike.

(2) The seat tube is out of round so that a 27.2 doesn't fit right. The existing seatpost is tight as heck. I may just sand the existing seatpost until it inserts right and call it a day.

(3) The crank dust cap is stuck. I carved out a flat for a screwdriver using a dremel tool and I've hit it with PB blaster but so far no dice. I think I'll try some freeze off next.

I finally found a bike that even gugie might like.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-04-21 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-04-21, 04:10 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Very nice @bikemig. Almost identical to my Competition (paint, Zeus dropouts)

I also think that mine looks small, and have to break out the tape measurer to reassure myself.
Likes For natterberry:
Old 07-04-21, 04:29 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
Very nice @bikemig. Almost identical to my Competition (paint, Zeus dropouts)

I also think that mine looks small, and have to break out the tape measurer to reassure myself.
I like the white and blue a lot. I've looked for one on and off for a while but it was tough finding one in a 22 and 1/2 for some reason. I hope we do that SW WI ride one of these days again. That's a heck of an area to find some hills to ride in.
Old 07-05-21, 06:44 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I have this old Schwinn Suburban I had to buy as part of a bundle and I've almost literally been kicking it around the garage as it was just stuck together for the seller to take pictures of. That combined with never getting anything more than the dose of Cosmoline or whatever they used made it hard to move around. While it is pretty much in survivor condition, it is rough and I don't think there is any sense in the labor I'm putting into it let alone what it is going to cost to put new cables on it. I grew up poor and never imagined I would ever own a Schwinn and seeing how these things were built I think I did better with the second hand bikes my dad bought me when I was a kid. I just don't have any love for this thing but I'll get it ridable anyway. I think I just like the hubs.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-06-21, 08:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
@bikemig, you and I have very similar tastes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 07-06-21, 10:16 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 411 Posts
Picked this 2002 LeMond Buenos Aires, I've been working on the overhaul.
As found,

Today, still waiting on some new tires,

Old 07-08-21, 03:26 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Damn.
by djk762, on Flickr
Likes For djkashuba:
Old 07-08-21, 04:06 PM
leftthread

Thanks again to pastorbob, iirc, for the dental floss trick to hold the pawls.
Likes For leftthread:
Old 07-08-21, 07:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
I've been away from cycling related stuff for a while and while not bicycle related I have been "wrenching" on a number of things that have been in need some attention. All of the glazing failed on the window at my backdoor. Some of the aluminum bars were damaged during the initial instal which caused the leaking and are no longer available from the manufacturer so I had to do a bit of fabrication. Cut and file along with glazing tape and a bit of silicone and it should be good for a few more years.

2 more aluminum pieces to fabricate and I am done...luckily no broken glass, but a B .;2h to get it out of the frames.

Threshold is next, along with the ADU.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 07-08-21 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 07-08-21, 10:48 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I have been away for a while due to work and other stuff, I have been playing with my Mini Cooper, a chassis upgrade has kept me busy collecting parts. It's morphing into a dual purpose track day car and world class bicycle hauler.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr
AST Coilovers with 7 Kg Swift springs and spherical ball mounts with adjustable camber.

M7 Maxx G control arms and sway bar end links

Powerflex race bushings on control arm mounts

A set of new modified engine and trans mounts (much stiffer) and a racing torque link. in addition all ball joints and steering bits have been replaced, As usual I'm waiting on sway bars and various other bits to show up from Germany, a major brake upgrade is also in the works.

My R55S still on the stock suspension.
: Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.