Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threaded Shimano Hollowtech II Bottom Brackets Road

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-26-21, 08:14 PM
Ryan1044

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a question.
I had to have my 2x10 crankset replaced. I previously had a treaded bottom bracket and wanted to stay with the threaded style.
Replacing the crankset was not a problem, but the only bottom bracket they could get their hands on, at the tim, was the Shimano RS500.
I know I can upgrade that with different manufacturers. I am not at that point yet.
My question is, how much difference/better are either the Shimano SM-BBR60 (Ultegra) or the Shimano BB-R9100 (DuraAce), compared to the RS500?
Thinking about life span of bearings, smoothness, and any thing else you would like to add.
Thank you in advance!
Ryan
Old 07-26-21, 08:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
My understanding is that the bearings are (or were when these first came onto the market) the same. The outside finish and total weight changed with price.

BTW there's a swing back to threaded BB shells as this decades old design is proving to be a really good design after all. Andy
Old 07-26-21, 08:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
You will not be able to tell any difference. However, bottom brackets are inexpensive. When this one wears out, treat yourself to an Ultegra or DA if you think it would look better with your other components.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-27-21, 06:50 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
BTW there's a swing back to threaded BB shells as this decades old design is proving to be a really good design after all.
Wonderful, seems like all the creaking has had some influence. I'm fine with square taper. Do hollow BBs require a larger threaded shell diameter to accommodate the bearings, and therefore a different standard size threaded shell from that of square tapers?
Old 07-27-21, 07:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Wonderful, seems like all the creaking has had some influence. I'm fine with square taper. Do hollow BBs require a larger threaded shell diameter to accommodate the bearings, and therefore a different standard size threaded shell from that of square tapers?
Current Hollowtec 2 BBs place their bearings outside the shell, only their threaded skirt is inside. This allows for the BB axle to grow from the "classic" 16mm to the current 24mm. The T47 shells allow for the bearings to stay within the shell and still use the 24mm axle. The other reason for a builder to spec a T47 shell is that it's larger OD better fits OS frame tubes (or whatever the carbon structures are called as they are rarely tubes any longer). Andy
Old 07-27-21, 07:24 AM
Ryan1044

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the information!
The Mechanics page is always my first stop when I log onto the forum. The knowledge is awesome to read and is very much appreciated!

Thank you
Ryan