Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Raleigh Max Ogre

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 10:10 PM
Dupre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Max Ogre

Hi All,

Is the Max Ogre a good bike, or is it a piece of cr*p? I'm just considering buying one second hand for a spot of fun biking and commuting.

Thanks!

Dupre.
Old 03-17-06, 06:58 AM
Dave_m
Intermediate

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, this range is excellent for general usage (at least for what you described). It's notoriously one the heaviest mtb's produced by Raleigh, the components are mid range shimano / okay quality stuff on entry level models. My own features older tech, like sti thumb shifters and (my personal braking type preference)- cantilever with aztec pads. 20 gears, very easy for he layman, intermediate or enthusiast to maintain. This thing has a beast of a steel frame with ridiculous unnecessary proportions. I wouldn’t recommend considering it for all-terrain...very impractical. It is however a excellent comfortable touring bike which is very tough. Okay if you're not a cycle snob.

My own has got me to work for 7 years but for leisure, I prefer something alloy & lighter. I tried sliming my ogre down / adding lighter components but this thing's still too damn heavy for anything other than road usage. Pic for any interest >>

Old 03-17-06, 07:13 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ogre is a good name for a mountain bike!

Congratulations to the marketing department .

I hope that their track bike is named "Elf"
Old 08-28-20, 03:51 PM
fivish

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ogre Max

Originally Posted by Dupre
Hi All,

Is the Max Ogre a good bike, or is it a piece of cr*p? I'm just considering buying one second hand for a spot of fun biking and commuting.

Thanks!

Dupre.
Today I took my 28 year old Ogre Max to Halfords to have new tyres and tubes fitted under the Gov £50 voucher scheme.
The bike is in fine condition and has many more decades of use left in it. Well it did come with a 50 year frame guarantee!
Likes For fivish:
Old 08-28-20, 03:52 PM
fivish

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I took my 28 year old Ogre Max to Halfords to have new tyres and tubes fitted under the Gov £50 voucher scheme.
The bike is in fine condition and has many more decades of use left in it. Well it did come with a 50 year frame guarantee!
Likes For fivish:
Old 08-28-20, 06:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Zombie thread alert! 14 years asleep.