Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any interest with Velosurance? Other bike insurance providers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 10:40 AM
Svenicus

Bikes: '09 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got into a dust up with a vehicle and found that my insurance won't be covering damage to my steed (it is covering my medical, thankfully).

Does anyone have any experience or reviews of Velosurance they'd feel pertinent? Any other companies they recommend (Canada specific, if possible). I'm hoping the damage to my bike isn't too substantial but I don't want to run this risk again down the road.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-16, 11:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I have no idea how Ontario insurance law works, but is filing a claim with their insurance for property damage an option (assuming they were at fault)? Michigan allows for such an action, depending on exactly how the bike was being used/transported when the collision with the vehicle took place.
Old 04-15-16, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK, not Canadien so I really have No input.
Old 04-15-16, 01:53 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
No idea for you. I know that when my first recumbent was totaled, my homeowners insurance said they'd cover it fully if the driver's insurance didn't.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-15-16, 02:22 PM
GSJon

Bikes: Specialized Crux Expert Evo, Felt DA, Surly Crosscheck, Divvy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same as BlazingPedals here but not with a recumbent. However, the woman who crumbled my bike did actually pay for it outside of her insurance company.
Old 04-15-16, 09:53 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I checked into it here in the states it was too expensive to be worth it. I believe many have a deductible and are still pretty expensive. It would be very unusual to crash bad enough to destroy everything on the bike. So keep in mind that they are just going to be fixing what is broken and not buying you a whole new bike. Many frame and wheel manufacturers have pretty good crash replacement deals and for the rest of the stuff you can buy it from Ribble or PBK to save some money. I don't know about Canada but here in the states you could always sue the driver in civil court if they were at fault and their insurance isn't covering the damage.

Last edited by Dunbar; 04-15-16 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-16-16, 06:20 AM
MuddyBikeRider

Bikes: Haibike FS RS

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I've used them all last year, and I've renewed with them this year. I haven't had any issues but I haven't reported any claims either. I think I pay $300USD a year on $5000USD of coverage. It's a lot, but not having to worry about anything feels great. For instance, I can put a cable lock on my bike and not worry about being ripped off and losing my investment in my bike. If I crash it's covered also. Some have mentioned that you might (not sure about Canada, this is for US) be able to get various riders on your homeowners at a cheaper rate though.
Old 04-16-16, 11:44 AM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would never leave either one of my CF bikes locked up outside.
Old 04-16-16, 12:32 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only insure what would be a real financial blow to me. My house insurance costs $500CDN a year but it covers full replacement of my house, perhaps about $300,000CDN.

I only carry liability insurance for my car. $500CDN a year covers 1 million. I don't carry collision. Another $500CDN which would covers maybe $8000CDN. The loss of the car would not be a financial burden.

Loosing a bicycle would not be a financial burden. I ride restored vintage bicycles and no insurance policy would cover all the work I put into them.
Old 04-16-16, 10:16 PM
jamisFan

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2014 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a policy with them. Dave is very courteous and always replies fast whenever I email him.
In about 10 years I will have paid enough money to buy a new bike. This is my first year, so I don't know if the premium will go up next year.
I tried to include my bike as a "floater" on my home owner's policy but, someone here suggested it in fact. The price was almost twice of what I piad on Velosurance.

As much as I hate paying insurance, I hope I have never ever have to file a claim though.
Old 04-17-16, 05:22 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom
I only insure what would be a real financial blow to me. My house insurance costs $500CDN a year but it covers full replacement of my house, perhaps about $300,000CDN.

I only carry liability insurance for my car. $500CDN a year covers 1 million. I don't carry collision. Another $500CDN which would covers maybe $8000CDN. The loss of the car would not be a financial burden.

Loosing a bicycle would not be a financial burden. I ride restored vintage bicycles and no insurance policy would cover all the work I put into them.
That fits with my view of the purpose of insurance. I look at it as a means to avoid financial ruin, not to save me from every eventuality.
Old 04-17-16, 05:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When I lived in Canada, I had bicycle insurance through CAA.
Old 04-17-16, 06:41 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
That fits with my view of the purpose of insurance. I look at it as a means to avoid financial ruin, not to save me from every eventuality.
Indeed. For me it's just a numbers play. The insurance companies make money by charging a premium that's greater than the expected risk, and having enough of a cash cushion to cover a reasonable number of claims at any given time. Thus, if I have enough of a cash cushion to cover minor losses, then I can afford to be self insured.
Old 04-17-16, 06:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
When I checked into it here in the states it was too expensive to be worth it. I believe many have a deductible and are still pretty expensive. It would be very unusual to crash bad enough to destroy everything on the bike. So keep in mind that they are just going to be fixing what is broken and not buying you a whole new bike. Many frame and wheel manufacturers have pretty good crash replacement deals and for the rest of the stuff you can buy it from Ribble or PBK to save some money. I don't know about Canada but here in the states you could always sue the driver in civil court if they were at fault and their insurance isn't covering the damage.
They've been adverting cycling insurance on Eurosport the last year in the UK.

Depends on your line of "too expensive to be worth it". When a mechanically simple front derailleur has a US street value of $200USD. Brifters can cross $900USD. Wheels $2000USD....and so on....and factor in that prices are only going up....what is "too expensive" today probably won't be for very long.
Old 04-17-16, 08:12 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The way I think of it is not the total value of the bike, but the total repair cost per year. For $300 per year, I'd practically have to wreck my bike every few years, to justify the insurance.

There is another way of thinking about it as well. If riding a bike would be financially irresponsible without insurance, the solution is less bike, not more insurance.
Old 04-17-16, 08:58 AM
Krazy Koz
enjoy the ride

Bikes: The Ship of Theseus - the only bicycle that I own or have ever owned. It is a bike that I built, with a constantly shifting constellation of parts & frames.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiences with Velosurance. Dave Williams, who runs it, is super courteous and always quick to respond via phone or email. This is my third year carrying it, and while I've never had to report a claim yet, I don't regret the purchase for a second. The way that I look at buying insurance is as follows: is it worth the cost of a premium ($170 per year in my case) to not have to worry about replacing a stolen bicycle? Obviously the answer for me is yes, and I think that is a useful question for anyone to ask when considering buying insurance.

Regarding costs and other details, I believe (but may be wrong) that the minimum amount of insurance you can buy is $2000 dollars worth, which costs $100 per year. For me, every additional $100 dollars of insured value costs $5. I currently insure my bike at $3200, which makes my premium $160 + $10 for roadside assistance (towing the bike in case of an accident, flat(!?), or for any other reason, really). The only other thing that seems pertinent is that every claim has a $100 dollar deductible, which means that if you were in three wrecks per year (heaven forbid), it'd cost you a minimum of $300 + your premium.

To me, $170 dollars is a fair price to ease my anxious mind. I hope this was helpful in some way.
Old 04-17-16, 04:29 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The way I think of it is not the total value of the bike, but the total repair cost per year. For $300 per year, I'd practically have to wreck my bike every few years, to justify the insurance.
That's basically how I looked at it. I was quoted $375/yr. for $5k of insured coverage. I believe there is a $100 deductible. That basically pays for a new crash replacement frame and Zipps every 5-6years. How often are you crashing? How much on average are you spending to repair it? If a driver hits you and is found at fault their insurance pays. It's only if the driver is not insured (or runs) would this insurance pay out. I don't race and I'm not worried about my bike getting stolen (it never leaves my sight outdoors.)

Last edited by Dunbar; 04-17-16 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 10:59 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
If a driver hits you and is found at fault their insurance pays.
To be fair, that varies wildly by jurisdiction. In Michigan, if I am hit by a car while riding, that is covered by their property damage coverage. Of course, if they don't have insurance, I have to sue them in court, and if they refuse to pay, have to go back to court to file a claim to get their wages garnished. If I have my bikes in a rack on my car and they hit me while parked, they pay. If I am driving, and they hit me and damage bikes on or in my car, I am responsible for paying, by law their insurance doesn't cover property damage to anything in or on a car they hit, that is the responsibility of my insurance. If my bikes are in or on my car, and they get stolen, homeowners or rental insurance is supposed to cover it, if I have bought that coverage.
Old 04-18-16, 04:49 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure if a driver hits you while riding your bike, and is at fault, their insurance has to pay to repair the bike regardless of what state you live in. I don't drive around with my bike in my car very often nor am I concerned about theft so I don't consider that something I need to insure against. I agree that suing someone in court would not be worth my time for less than $1k+ in repair costs. I am including that in my cost/benefit analysis. All I can say is that in the past 4 1/2 years of riding I have certainly come out ahead financially by saving $375/yr not buying bike insurance.
Old 11-14-19, 02:22 PM
carpetri

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velosurance won’t Pay

In summary, they want to pay about 10% of my bike's insured vale. I also pay about 10% annually ...

Here's the full story:

Unfortunately I am in the process of making a claim for an SWORKS Venge that was damaged during a flight. So far the quality of the service has not been as high as the price. I pay, almost 10% of the complete bike's value a year.

To begin, Velosurance does not insurance you directly but trough Markel. I don't have a problem with that directly, but, when I got the insurance I was asked by Velosurance to upload photos and receipts to their website so that in the event of a claim, they could process you faster.

I uploaded all the receipts and photos but this was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME. Apparently Markel doesn't get access to the Velosurance data so it's totally useless.

To file a claim you can follow the instructions on Velosurance website. Where they recommend to include photos, receipts, a description of the damage and an estimation of the damage from a local shop. To be proactive I included all this from the first email.

My authorized Specialized dealer clearly stated that my carbon frame can not be repaired and doing so can be potentially life threatening and will, of course, void Specialized Lifetime warranty. This means that the replacement, being a high end bike, would be of 5.5k plus labor, taxes and some parts, adding up to $6,369.78.

Two days later, I received my first call. Where they asked me to send all the items to a Markel's email. I did it immediately.

During the call I felt push back. The person was suggesting repairing my 5.5k 2019 Sworks Venge carbon bike, making me loose my Lifetime warranty and diminishing my bike’s value. I would never have an insurance this expensive for a solution like that.

A day after the call I got a new email, this time from Markel, once again asking for all the items, photos, description, .... I send that again immediately.

After all the inefficiencies, I eventually got a second call from Merkel. The person explained that according to their experts (which happened to be Jack Kane from kanebikes.com) my ultra light, high end 5.5k carbon frame could be repaired for just $1,175. That means that with all the shipping costs plus the labor, taxes and minus the 500 deductible, they were determined to pay for just $1,330.40 out of the 6,369.78. It’s ridiculous.

My next step was to negotiate back with my authorized dealer. I got a replacement discount (20%). I also went to other 2 different authorized dealers to back me up and make the point clear. The three dealers agree that my bike cannot be repaired.

I sent the updated quotes for $5,196.90 including taxes and everything needed.

Guess what...... Of course they did not care.

Which is funny (not really) because they have "TRUSTED PARTNERS" in their website. The letters I sent included partners from their trusted partners list. So it seems very convenient for them to ignore what 3 of the largest Authorized distributors in NYC and probably, the US, had to say to favor an "expert" who happens to have 5 reviews on yelp....

I will continue to defend myself this is ridiculous.

Have you been in an experience like this???

Please contact me and share any information that might help.

WE CANNOT LET THIS BE

PLEASE SHARE, COMMENT OR TAG SOMEONE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION

I really miss my bike...... =(

Originally Posted by Svenicus
I recently got into a dust up with a vehicle and found that my insurance won't be covering damage to my steed (it is covering my medical, thankfully).

Does anyone have any experience or reviews of Velosurance they'd feel pertinent? Any other companies they recommend (Canada specific, if possible). I'm hoping the damage to my bike isn't too substantial but I don't want to run this risk again down the road.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-19, 02:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by carpetri
What are terms of the policy regarding repair. E.g., Does it address who has the final say on whether it is repairable or not?
Old 11-14-19, 02:41 PM
carpetri

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“We will pay for repairs that are made in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications or accepted repair practices.”

So clearly they will do whatever they want...
Old 11-14-19, 03:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
“We will pay for repairs that are made in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications or accepted repair practices.”

So clearly they will do whatever they want...
And does it at who gets to determine what "accepted practices" are?
Old 02-17-20, 08:55 PM
ranger052

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

any updates on your case? Did they ever paid for your bike?

In summary, they want to pay about 10% of my bike's insured vale. I also pay about 10% annually ...

Here's the full story:

Unfortunately I am in the process of making a claim for an SWORKS Venge that was damaged during a flight. So far the quality of the service has not been as high as the price. I pay, almost 10% of the complete bike's value a year.

To begin, Velosurance does not insurance you directly but trough Markel. I don't have a problem with that directly, but, when I got the insurance I was asked by Velosurance to upload photos and receipts to their website so that in the event of a claim, they could process you faster.

I uploaded all the receipts and photos but this was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME. Apparently Markel doesn't get access to the Velosurance data so it's totally useless.

To file a claim you can follow the instructions on Velosurance website. Where they recommend to include photos, receipts, a description of the damage and an estimation of the damage from a local shop. To be proactive I included all this from the first email.

My authorized Specialized dealer clearly stated that my carbon frame can not be repaired and doing so can be potentially life threatening and will, of course, void Specialized Lifetime warranty. This means that the replacement, being a high end bike, would be of 5.5k plus labor, taxes and some parts, adding up to $6,369.78.

Two days later, I received my first call. Where they asked me to send all the items to a Markel's email. I did it immediately.

During the call I felt push back. The person was suggesting repairing my 5.5k 2019 Sworks Venge carbon bike, making me loose my Lifetime warranty and diminishing my bike’s value. I would never have an insurance this expensive for a solution like that.

A day after the call I got a new email, this time from Markel, once again asking for all the items, photos, description, .... I send that again immediately.

After all the inefficiencies, I eventually got a second call from Merkel. The person explained that according to their experts (which happened to be Jack Kane from kanebikes.com) my ultra light, high end 5.5k carbon frame could be repaired for just $1,175. That means that with all the shipping costs plus the labor, taxes and minus the 500 deductible, they were determined to pay for just $1,330.40 out of the 6,369.78. It’s ridiculous.

My next step was to negotiate back with my authorized dealer. I got a replacement discount (20%). I also went to other 2 different authorized dealers to back me up and make the point clear. The three dealers agree that my bike cannot be repaired.

I sent the updated quotes for $5,196.90 including taxes and everything needed.

Which is funny (not really) because they have "TRUSTED PARTNERS" in their website. The letters I sent included partners from their trusted partners list. So it seems very convenient for them to ignore what 3 of the largest Authorized distributors in NYC and probably, the US, had to say to favor an "expert" who happens to have 5 reviews on yelp....

I will continue to defend myself this is ridiculous.

Have you been in an experience like this???

Please contact me and share any information that might help.

WE CANNOT LET THIS BE

PLEASE SHARE, COMMENT OR TAG SOMEONE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION

I really miss my bike...... =(
Old 04-11-21, 07:57 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C

There is another way of thinking about it as well. If riding a bike would be financially irresponsible without insurance, the solution is less bike, not more insurance.
5 Years later, thought I'd ask what current thinking is on these insurance plans? One benefit unmentioned is liability coverage, which in theory could run quite a bit higher than any bike's value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.