Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are mountain bikes so popular?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are mountain bikes so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 04:22 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I like that you listed the phantoms before barends.
I really miss this setup, but these barends had too much of a dogleg to them. I'll have to hunt for some less bent long barends, maybe figure out a way to run interrupter levers on the flatbar, too.

I spent most of my time on the barends, then moved to the flatbar for climbing.

Old 01-16-17, 04:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Flat bars actually have 3 positions:

1. hands on grips
2. hands near stem
3. IAB

+ one or two more if you have barends!
Don't forget the underhand grip.
Old 01-16-17, 04:55 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm tempted to do an organized century on a MTB with knobbies as I know I will pass hundreds of riders in road bikes.

Then I'll go home and noodle around some more!
Old 01-16-17, 05:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by durangotang
"I don't understand why mountain bikes are so popular"... all I hear is that these people live somewhere that sucks... move somewhere cooler and ride some trails with other cool people...
Totally failed to understand the thread (typical for a mountain biker, thinks clueless is cool) but did post some amazing photos so we will let it slide.
Old 01-16-17, 05:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I really miss this setup, but these barends had too much of a dogleg to them. I'll have to hunt for some less bent long barends, maybe figure out a way to run interrupter levers on the flatbar, too.

I spent most of my time on the barends, then moved to the flatbar for climbing.
Yeah? Did you need to use the brakes a lot while climbing?
Old 01-16-17, 05:47 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
I'm tempted to do an organized century on a MTB with knobbies as I know I will pass hundreds of riders in road bikes.
The 26" tires I used on Century rides 35 years ago when I was selling bikes were not knobbies. The Cruiser Mit had a hard rubber strip down the center, and when you pumped them to 80psi they rolled like a road tire. I forgot to mention I built a set of extra-light wheels too.

The disadvantage to the 26" wheels is that they are heavier, which means you accelerate slower, but at 80psi the top speed was the same. I raced on the road, and I know how to maximize my effort, how to sit in and when to take a big pull. It's not like I passed a lot of riders just because I was on a mountain bike, but because I was a pretty good rider and the bike didn't make that much difference.
Old 01-16-17, 05:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah? Did you need to use the brakes a lot while climbing?
Nope. Thought some on the flats would be nice for riding more technical sections, though.
Old 01-16-17, 05:51 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Then I'll go home and noodle around some more!
Probably ixnay on the obbiesknay, unless it's an offroad century.
Old 01-16-17, 05:55 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Yes.

I should have been less specific and simply stated that most prefer a bar with multiple positions (whatever style that may be) for distances longer than a few trips around the block. A flat bar just doesn't cut it with a single position.

I agree about flat bars, personally I loathe them, and I do have a bike with drops for the usual reasons some folks choose them over flats.

I was simply pointing out there are other choices that meet or exceed the variety of positions drops offer, and that there are single position bars other than flats that provide day long comfort without the need for multiple positions.

Of course this is all subjective, as we all have different ergonomic and riding style needs. At one time I loved road bikes with drops, and tolerated flat bars because mountain biking was so much fun, but my preferences and riding style have changed (and now I'm more willing to try new things), so I have moved beyond them.
Old 01-16-17, 05:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Repack Rider
The disadvantage to the 26" wheels is that they are heavier, which means you accelerate slower, but at 80psi the top speed was the same.
One of these days I'm gonna build some nice, light 26er wheels. I mean, with 350g rims out there, I might as well...

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=24955
Old 01-16-17, 05:58 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably ixnay on the obbiesknay, unless it's an offroad century.
You're right. I once did a local ride on my MTB with slicks. I caught and passed a cycling club of about 12 riders. They hopped my wheel. Later one of the club riders said, "you must be killer on a road bike!".

But yeah, now that you mention it, I'd go with slicks!

It is all about the rider, an MTB can be used for more than just noodling around if you make it do what you want!
Old 01-16-17, 06:16 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
But yeah, now that you mention it, I'd go with slicks!
The kicker is that with many riders it won't change perception at all. You can show up to a road group ride on a bike with drop handlebars and a road fit, and the tires might be slicks with very supple casing... but if they happen to be 2" wide and the bike has fenders, suddenly the fact that you're able to keep up makes you some kind of herculean beast.
Old 01-16-17, 06:36 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The kicker is that with many riders it won't change perception at all. You can show up to a road group ride on a bike with drop handlebars and a road fit, and the tires might be slicks with very supple casing... but if they happen to be 2" wide and the bike has fenders, suddenly the fact that you're able to keep up makes you some kind of herculean beast.
True! I was training for a big ride few years back. I rode my MTB on a road ride with a couple partners. We caught another group of 3 and they hopped on. I was at the front so one guy sprinted around. Heck,let's have some fun! I caught him and sat on his side so he could not claim I was drafting him. We left the other 4 behind. He looked over at me and said, "you realize you are doing 24 MPH, dontcha!?".

That was a pretty good speed for the terrain we were on at the time. But he thought I was some kind of god on 2.25 knobby tires!

I'm sure he could have beat me in the long run, I think, but we sure left our friends on road bikes far behind!
Old 01-16-17, 06:36 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
One of these days I'm gonna build some nice, light 26er wheels. I mean, with 350g rims out there, I might as well...

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=24955
They are nice. I had a set built -- Mavic XC717 Disc on XT hubs w/db spokes around '08 -- great wheels. Very snappy when paired with suitable tires (on or off-road). Still going strong, as is the whole bike ('05 Giant Rainier, aka Blue Beast). On-road or off (with appropriate tires), still a great bike. I'll never get rid of it; rode my first (of three) solo century rides on it. Apologies for the crap pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rainier 1.jpg (97.2 KB, 109 views)
Old 01-16-17, 06:54 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Funny, It reminds me of a time a guy on a road bike thought I was a beast because I kept up with him while riding my Dutch bike, when in truth it was simply a case of the tortoise and hare on bikes. He would drop me like a bad penny every time conditions allowed, but I would eventually catch up every time when he was recovering from his last sprint, or road conditions came into play.
Without a doubt I was clearly a much slower rider on a slower bike, but because I never went away his perception of my abilities was grossly overestimated.

Perception, accurate or not can have a powerful effect.
Old 01-16-17, 08:30 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If you really want to claim that you can lock a tire at 40 mph on a road bike but not on an MTB (with generally canti-, V-, or disc brakes) then you live in an alternate universe with different physics ... in this world, your Back brake is going to lock first in hard braking on a downhill.
Your back wheel will lock if you apply enough pressure, obviously I wasn't that day though the last thing I expected was the front to lock. But this is just another characteristic of racers, with a super narrow tire and 120PSI pressure of course you have less traction. That IS physics in this world.

Wide tires do not make a bike more stable---one can crash on Any bike.
Yes, but I personally only know two people who died on a bike, and both were racers. One somehow lost it on a pedestrian bridge and broke his neck on a steel railing, the other was a young woman who was cleaned up by a truck while riding in a group down by the bay. Speed was no doubt a factor in both accidents but the fact is wider tires at lower pressures give better traction, allow you to turn faster due to that, especially on a loose surface.

I am not telling you guys what you should ride, I'm not saying racers are not good bikes, they are great, for what they are designed for, but you guys are carrying on like they have all the best aspects of every bike? Well they don't. They have limitations, just like every design.

Other bikes are now coming along, like the Giant Anyroad with it's 700x32c tires. A fast bike if that's what floats your boat. Personally I think the racer fad is passing into history with the advent of all these new designed hybrids. Sure there will always be true and semi pros, dedicated enthusiasts, all still wanting them, but many the coffee club set which make up the vast majority of those riding them now will transition when they perceive it's "cool" to do so.
Old 01-16-17, 08:39 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by coominya
Yes, but I personally only know two people who died on a bike, and both were racers. One somehow lost it on a pedestrian bridge and broke his neck on a steel railing, the other was a young woman who was cleaned up by a truck while riding in a group down by the bay. Speed was no doubt a factor in both accidents but the fact is wider tires at lower pressures give better traction, allow you to turn faster due to that, especially on a loose surface.
Sorry to say this but you are being ridiculous. What, if they had been on MTBs they wouldn't have died?

Fact is, people die riding bikes all the time---all kinds of bikes. Riding a wide-tired bike won't keep you safe. I was run over by a semi-trailer on my full-suspension mountain bike.

[QUOTE=coominya;19317457]I am not telling you guys what you should ride, I'm not saying racers are not good bikes, they are great, for what they are designed for, but you guys are carrying on like they have all the best aspects of every bike? Well they don't. They have limitations, just like every design.[QUOTE=coominya;19317457] So do wide-tired, bikes, flat-bar bikes, unicycles, helicopters ... so in essence you are saying nothing.

What most people here are saying is that bikes designed to be ridden on the road tend to be more efficient when ridden on the road than bikes designed to do other things. You can ride an Abrams main battle tank if you are scared .... but you might find it hard to maneuver, and it burns tons of fuel.

Other bikes are now coming along, like the Giant Anyroad with it's 700x32c tires. A fast bike if that's what floats your boat.
No bike is fast. Riders are fast ... when they want to be.

I don't know exactly what argument you are trying to make here, and I am not sure you do either. please figure out exactly what it is you are trying to say, so we don't talk at cross purposes. This has gone on so long I cannot even remember where we started, and I am getting the feeling we may end up wandering int he wilderness.
Personally I think the racer fad is passing into history with the advent of all these new designed hybrids.
You are delusional.
Sure there will always be true and semi pros, dedicated enthusiasts, all still wanting them, but many the coffee club set which make up the vast majority of those riding them now will transition when they perceive it's "cool" to do so.
Care to supply the raw data which led to this conclusion?
Old 01-16-17, 08:55 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I see we got a sensitive one. If you "wanted to do that"? Do what, go on long rides or ride in high winds? What do you do, putt around on walking paths? You have some seriously thin skin and didn't directly address what I specifically said. There is a purpose for drop bars, and it's not just to get into an aero position to race in the Tour de France.
If you want to ride in a headwind all day feel free, Obviously you consider yourself a legend and no doubt take a day off work if it's really windy just so you can go out and prove to the world, and all the starlings watching from the trees, just how great you are
As for me I do my riding with an eye to the weather, sea breezes from the coast in the afternoon, that sort of thing

And yes yes yes, we all know how great drop bars are, we all KNOW about aero. Just some of us don't care if we have to ride at 30 km/h, we still get our fun and fitness, and actually have a better view of the road in the process.

In 29.5 years of road cycling on "racers" as you call them,
As I call them? That's what they were called 30 years ago or have you forgotten? Or perhaps you really haven't been riding that long? And guess what, they still call them that, interchangeably with roadies. Your response to my calling them what they are is interesting though, you are obviously so caught up in the "roadie" image thing it's effecting your ability to see reality.

Here, let me help you back.

The racing bike proper has low dropped handlebars, very narrow tyres (20 to 25mm) and high gears. It's good for maximum speed on smooth roads
Racing Bike | Cycling UK

There are several important aspects to choosing a quality road / racing bicycle,
Road / Racing Bikes

A racing bicycle, also known as a road bike, is a bicycle designed for competitive road cycling, a sport governed by according to the rules of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_bicycle
Old 01-16-17, 09:06 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sorry to say this but you are being ridiculous. What, if they had been on MTBs they wouldn't have died?
Probably not. If the woman was on an MTB it's doubtful she would be in a group flying down a busy road and distracted and hemmed in by the bikes around her. Similarly the guy on the bridge would have no doubt been going slower and even if he'd lost control not broken his neck.

You're arguments are pointless, indefensible. You insist on claiming that a road bike is as safe on any hard surface as any other bike but a narrow pedestrian bridge is not the place to be racing. Nor along the verge of a busy road with trucks plying back and forth. I don't ride those busy roads but I'm sure you do all the time. Let's hope you're not the next news snippet.

As for the rest of your post it's all just the rantings of an angry old man and I wont engage in it. This forum has standards and if you can't accept that people have other opinions than your own then that's your problem.
Old 01-16-17, 09:18 PM
Maelochs

The racing bike proper has low dropped handlebars, very narrow tyres (20 to 25mm) and high gears. It's good for maximum speed on smooth roads
Racing Bike | Cycling UK
Okaym, but the article doesn't equate "road bike" and "racing bike" and doesn't ever use the term "racer." The article simple says that racing bikes have drop bars ... which I am sure will astound a lot of MTB and downhill racers.

There are several important aspects to choosing a quality road / racing bicycle,
Road / Racing Bikes v
Again, no equivlaency between "road" and "racing" bike and no mention of the word "racer."

A racing bicycle, also known as a road bike, is a bicycle designed for competitive road cycling, a sport governed by according to the rules of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_bicycle
Of course, this ignores the fact that most bikes 40 or 50 years ago were very much "Road" bikes but didn't have drop bars--and ALL bikes were designed for the road. There simply were no "off-road" bikes. All bikes were designed to be ridden mainly on roads, with the ability to handle the occasional unpaved driveway or lane.

So by your definition, VERY bike was a "racer," until they actually developed racing bikes ... and then every bike was still a "racer," including bikes designed not to be raced but merely ridden on the road.

In fact, "English Racer" referred to steel bikes, often with three-speed hubs, and upright riding positions with swept bars.
(1965 Rudge DeLuxe 3 Spd English Racer, Raleigh 2030, Sturmey Archer, Brooks B72 | eBay) (1950's English Racer BICYCLE Young Man Automobile ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPH | eBay)

Let me also point out that until sometime in the 70s, there Were no bike tires more than about 1.5 inches wide. There was no "mountain biking" and there were no "mountain bike" tires. So again, it seems Every bike was a "racer" until mountain bikes were developed in the early '70s---if we use your ridiculous definitions.

Face it, so long as you are trying to win a fight on the Internet, you will never succeed.

Please do as I asked: refine and define your message so that people can respond. This pointless wandering gainsaying isn't really helping anyone.
Old 01-16-17, 09:23 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Flat bars actually have 3 positions:

1. hands on grips
2. hands near stem
3. IAB

+ one or two more if you have barends!
I have never used IAB or barends but for a change of pace on long straights I often put the heel of my palms on the grips and wrap my fingers around the v-brake controls. that's on an older Giant MTB I ride road with. The new hybrid has very little up top to grip onto in that regard.
Old 01-16-17, 09:29 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sorry mello, I put you and your abusive mate on the p*ssoff list. I don't want to involved in pointless squabbling.
This is a curtsy post.

Old 01-16-17, 09:32 PM
Maelochs

Well .... I guess some people want to fight but also need everyone to agree with them. Maybe someday he will learn to actually form ideas and discuss them.
Old 01-16-17, 09:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Why do you ask so many questions?
Old 01-16-17, 09:51 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Round 15.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.