Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shoes for toe clips

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shoes for toe clips

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 07:43 PM
shmish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoes for toe clips

Hi,

I’m getting my older road bike ready for this spring and it will have pedals with toe clips. Are there any bike shoes that are somewhat suitable for road riding with toe clips? All I’ve ever known are clipless pedals. Well, I used to use toe clips back when I was a kid and rode around in my runners, which isn’t what I’m looking to do here. Thanks.
Old 02-11-18, 09:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Well, there are slotted cleats that will bolt into your clipless shoes. Be aware that modern bike shoes tend to have a much larger toe box than traditional bike shoes, so you may need to use off-road toeclips for them to fit.

Otherwise there are traditional bike shoes either used, NOS, or new production out there as well.

If you're not planning to use slotted cleats, you could look at some of the bike shoes marketed to modern fixed gear riders from e.g. Vans and such like.
Old 02-12-18, 06:56 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Van's was a top choice when I shopped for toe clip shoes. Went with heavy, flat sole Fubu. The toe box was indeed too large for the clips and required a little manual adjusting of the clip.

Keeping eyes open for a 1970's style leather cycling shoe (sans cleats).
Likes For Oakman:
Old 02-12-18, 07:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Bowling shoes maybe?
Old 02-12-18, 07:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I've been commuting with toe clips for 26 years. I've been using skateboard style shoes with a firm, flat sole. In my latest pair I put in a firm insole to give it more stiffness. Also, I look for "Vans" or traditional "Converse" style shoes where the sole doesn't stick out wider than the foot, and the "collar" at the heel is low. A stiff upper material works better for me, like leather...and man-made plastic-based uppers have not fared well as both metal and plastic toe clips have cut into the material rather quickly after a few rides. Canvas uppers work well, but leather, or suede uppers work best (although suede will scuff quickly, but holds up well).

The "blockier" the shoe and it's sole, the more difficult it is to slide in and out of the clips. That may be a plus for competitive riding, but not for commuting.

FWIW I keep my toe clips on the loose side of firm, especially in the winter, where blood circulation in the feet is important (so I keep my shoes a little looser then too).
Old 02-12-18, 07:37 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I've been using an old pair of Reeboks that are light, have a flat thin sole and leather top. But, I have heard elsewhere on the forum that indoor soccer shoes work well, so I plan on researching that for spring.
Old 02-12-18, 10:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're looking for shoes to use with cleats for toe clips, check out Scott Road Pro shoes. Only $59 at Jenson USA, lowest price around at the moment.

Just got a pair a couple of weeks ago. The fit is pretty close to my old Detto Pietros, including the relatively slim toe box. Not quite as slim as the Dettos but closer than some clipless shoes I've seen, with stiffer soles that the old Dettos. I have very narrow feet with long, skinny toes and the shoes are just about perfect for me, depending on whether I layer my socks.

But if you don't plan to install cleats the Scott shoes and most clipless shoes would be a pain in the neck. The soles are so hard and slick you'd have trouble keeping your feet on the pedals. The Detto Pietros had hard leather covered soles and were somewhat usable in toe clips even without cleats. But the only way to keep slick hard plastic soles like most clipless shoes on pedals without cleats would be to get some extra grippy rubbery textured platform pedals. Or modify the soles of the clipless shoes by adding a rubbery grip material -- maybe Plasti-Dip liquid rubber for tool handles, Shoe Goo or other tenacious liquid/adhesive covering.

I've tried makeshift alternatives on pedals intended for toe clips and the results were uncomfortable. Most casual shoes with small enough toe boxes and narrow enough to fit inside toe clips will have soles too thin for those jagged sawtooth pedal edges.

With more practical platform pedals, Power Grips pedal straps might work better. Although I wonder how many people actually use them. I've seen several folks with Power Grips on their pedals, but they rarely actually stick their feet through them. Seems dangerous to ride with big loops ready to snare road debris under the pedal.
Old 02-12-18, 11:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
REW Reynolds in UK still hand makes old style leather touring shoes..for toe clip pedals,, https://reynolds-england.com/
Old 02-12-18, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
been getting a lot of use out of these Lake Cycling 2015 Men's MX100 Mountain Bike Shoes (Black/Grey - size 48) these work great for my size 13 foot

Old 02-12-18, 01:37 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
They used to make shoes for toe clip pedals back in the 1980s. I still have mine - they're Specialized. These shoes are very comfortable and I will still use them when I ride with toe clips. Here is what makes them work so well and what you should look for in a shoe that you want to wear using toe clips:
Pointy toe - lets shoe slip into the clips easier.
Flat sole - treads get caught in the pedal.
Leather tops - it protects your toes which will hurt after a short ride if there is no protection.

You can probably find a cheap pair of shoes with these characteristics.
Old 02-12-18, 01:46 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I use Nike Air Mavin low 2's. Not the best for power transfer because of the padding, but I solved that with a custom wood sole I made with a hinge for walkability. I have smaller feet, but the tip is rounded, the top is padded, and it doesn't look to dorky. It is a basketball shoe, so there is a little bit that sticks out. For me, I can pull the strap behind that and it "locks" into place, so that could be a pro or a con depending on what you like. It comes in all black.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Nike_Air_Mavin_Low_2_600.png (359.3 KB, 451 views)
Old 02-12-18, 02:45 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Oxfords, not brogues.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 02-13-18, 04:09 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Canklecat,
Thanks for the link. I am still riding my Detto's 30-plus years after purchase. They're starting to show their age. I was wondering what I was gonna' get to replace them. Now I know. Thanks.
Jon
Old 02-13-18, 06:25 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I'm still using my Specialized 'touring shoes' from the late '80s... They look like these:

Stiff thin soles, leather uppers where the tow clip/straps would interface, nylon otherwise.

I had Bata Bikers before those, bought in the '70s...

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 02-13-18, 06:29 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Your best bet is to try to find some 70-80's vintage ones on ebay. But if you wear a common size like 45 they're few and far between. If you have tiny feet or you're a bigfoot there's usually a lot of them for sale.
Old 02-14-18, 06:04 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I had Bata Bikers before those, bought in the '70s...

Also my shoe of choice for riding in the 70's. Liked them better than the leather sole models. Any shoe like this available today?
Old 02-14-18, 11:55 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I got these Louis Garneau Nickels at Nashbar for $39 on sale. They are very walkable off the bike, the toe box (Euro 47, US 11) is a little tight in the clips, so I use Velo Orange Half Clips which are a little taller, and don't have the straps to deal with. I only use the clips since Eroica demands them. The rest of the time I use Shimano MTB SPDs, and these shoes work great either way. They also supply black laces if the day-glo bling is too much. I also have Vittoria 1976, which look cool, accept vintage style, but plastic, traditional cleats, but aren't much good for walking, and cost a lot more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shoes.jpg (172.1 KB, 403 views)
shoes2.jpg (160.8 KB, 404 views)
vittoria.jpg (61.8 KB, 405 views)
Old 02-14-18, 12:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I use Lake shoes with their 3-bolt cleat system, Exustar aluminum track cleats (the $20 simple ones, not the $70 ones for velodrome sprinters), Shimano 600 semi-platform pedals and their plastic toeclips for all my fix gears. The shoes and cleats are available. Really high quality cleats. We would have died for a cleat and mounting system that good 40 years ago.

Keep in mind - I ride this system to be locked in more securely than with clipless, NOT so I can have good walking shoes. My setup is for serious rides and is as good as it comes for power transmission and ability to pull up on the pedals to go up step hills in very big gears. My knees cannot tolerate "float" so the slotted cleats give me exactly the degree of freedom my knees need. And, just as important, my feet stay on the pedals at RPMs over 200. Always. Even if I uncleat (which only happens if my cleats are worn, my straps are tired or I forgot to pull them tight. (Don't believe the 200 PRM? That's 40 mph riding 42-17, my usual gear. Car drivers have told me I've been going downhill faster.)

I don't know how big the OP's feet are. I have no issues with modern shoes and old-fashioned large (for a snug fit) of extra large Christophe toeclips. My feet are 43/US 10.

Ben
Old 02-14-18, 12:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I've had zero difficulty using modern Shimano MTB shoes with traditional cage pedals with toe clips and straps. I cannot imagine street cyclist using cleats with toe clips and straps. Track cyclists have someone to catch them after a sprint! I also ride a vintage Raleigh from the 80's and untightened toe straps (with clips) does not prevent a wide variety of footwear from being used.
Old 02-14-18, 02:04 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
You could buy a pair of new Detto Pietros. 180€, or $225 or so.

Detto Shoes - Detto - Detto Pietro Store

Old 03-22-18, 10:49 AM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was using Puma Speedcats. Very comfortable, and Academy sometimes has them discounted. Got mine for 30 bucks, but now I use them for fencing. Found a pair in a discount store (Ross)for 20 bucks that are just fine. Not familia with the name Perry Ellis, but they look well made.
Old 03-22-18, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you are in Milan, you can try them on in the Detto store.
Old 03-22-18, 11:13 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
In doing some searching online for just such shoes I discovered a Belgian brand called Cycleur de Luxe. Anyone have any experience with these? They come in alotta different styles and look pretty nice, so I picked up a used pair on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CYCLEUR-DE-...3/152911381678
When they arrived I was happy to find they fit perfectly! I can't wait till the weather is warm again so I can put the clips and straps back on my pedals and try these shoes out.
Old 03-23-18, 12:07 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
REW Reynolds in UK still hand makes old style leather touring shoes..for toe clip pedals,, https://reynolds-england.com/
Those are some good looking shoes. Back before clipless pedals took over the world, shoes of that style were commonly available. Avocet marketed some.

Have to check with the bank tomorrow about a second mortgage.
Old 03-23-18, 12:16 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I've had zero difficulty using modern Shimano MTB shoes with traditional cage pedals with toe clips and straps. I cannot imagine street cyclist using cleats with toe clips and straps. Track cyclists have someone to catch them after a sprint! I also ride a vintage Raleigh from the 80's and untightened toe straps (with clips) does not prevent a wide variety of footwear from being used.
I use the Shimano shoes as well. They are a bit bulky -- someone once suggested that I must have gotten them from Herman Munster (not really). They also have a tendancy to snag when removeing them from the clips and that has scared me a couple times but I survived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.