Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 08:56 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Time for something a bit on the lighter side of the subject here.

Old 03-08-19, 09:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Time for something a bit on the lighter side of the subject here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3dBbTc_1U
It's a good gag, and it's actually something people really do. They actually add calories because they think they are eating something virtuous.

Juicing is probably the best example -people think they're doing something healthy while taking in an absurd amount of carbs.
Old 03-08-19, 09:52 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
Some of the best info I have learned over the past few months:

Weight loss is not linear.....You can't manipulate diet and exercise and lose precisely 2.78543 pounds per week. Your body needs to do things, it will go through cycles, etc.

Consistency is key.......staying consistent with your diet and exercise regimen will yield best results. One single skipped meal isn't going to do anything nor is one 85 mile ride followed by 12 days off.

Sacrifice...... you have to change/give up something to get results. You cannot keep to your old ways and expect weight loss. You must only drink one night per week instead of six. You need to chose a salad and veggies over burger and fries. Go to the gym instead of surfing Facebook for an hour. etc. etc. etc.

I am down 15 pounds in 2 months. My focus has been: exercise 5 x week, 60 minutes or more (anything from walking to gym to long rides). My sacrifice has been: 0 beer, 0 bread, 0 fried food and only having a red wine or two twice during the week (it was beer about 5 nights a week). I have doubled my vegetable intake. I have yet to count a calorie!
These are good points and you are to be congratulated for having the discipline to follow them and successfully lose weight. What a lot of people don't realize is that if they eat carbs to satiate exercise induced hunger, they are immediately undoing the benefit they gained from exercise. Carbs will cause you to stay hungry and overeat, and in addition your body will deposit fat cells. You need to consume protein and fat and very few or no carbs. No cakes, no cookies, no chips, no fruit. American dietary guidelines over the last 30 years have disparaged fats and encouraged people to consume carbs and to what result? An obesity epedemic as has never been seen before. People are blaming themselves for lack of will power and laziness, when a large part of it is fatally flawed dietary advice from the government itself.
Old 03-08-19, 10:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Those government standards notwithstanding we already know how to eat right, its just that we're lazy. Nobody wants to cook anymore, and 7/10 women I see every morning are carrying a meal they picked up from fast food.

After all those supersize containers of sweet coffee mixes and pastries along with mechanical devices that do all our physical labor for us and what do you expect? The fattest population in the history of mankind.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-09-19 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 11:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by willibrord
These are good points and you are to be congratulated for having the discipline to follow them and successfully lose weight. What a lot of people don't realize is that if they eat carbs to satiate exercise induced hunger, they are immediately undoing the benefit they gained from exercise. Carbs will cause you to stay hungry and overeat, and in addition your body will deposit fat cells. You need to consume protein and fat and very few or no carbs. No cakes, no cookies, no chips, no fruit. American dietary guidelines over the last 30 years have disparaged fats and encouraged people to consume carbs and to what result? An obesity epedemic as has never been seen before. People are blaming themselves for lack of will power and laziness, when a large part of it is fatally flawed dietary advice from the government itself.
All the research I'm reading now suggests that no or extremely low carbs is either not sustainable or pretty bad for you. In losing 150 pounds, I overdid the low carbs, and ended up accidentally in ketosis at one point. I felt absolutely miserable, and really noticed a drop in my mental acuity. I deliberately reintroduced fruit into my daily routine, continued to lose weight at the same rate, and didn't feel like I wanted to kill someone.

I do restrict carbs still because it's too easy to binge on them. But I'm finding that's true of some foods that are not high carb as well. That old cliche about not being able to stop eating peanuts is definitely true in my case.
Old 03-09-19, 07:03 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
All the research I'm reading now suggests that no or extremely low carbs is either not sustainable or pretty bad for you.
Ditto.

Low-carb diets could shorten life, study suggests
Old 03-09-19, 07:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
In the study, published in The Lancet Public Health, 15,400 people from the US filled out questionnaires on the food and drink they consumed, along with portion sizes.
From this, scientists estimated the proportion of calories they got from carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
Estimation, based on self-reporting of eating habits. Folks, this study is more psychology than nutrition.
Old 03-09-19, 07:16 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What a lot of people don't realize is that if they eat carbs to satiate exercise induced hunger, they are immediately undoing the benefit they gained from exercise. Carbs will cause you to stay hungry and overeat, and in addition your body will deposit fat cells. You need to consume protein and fat and very few or no carbs.
This is wrong, I have no idea where you getting all this nonsense from.
Old 03-09-19, 07:25 AM
wolfchild
Banned

All the research I'm reading now suggests that no or extremely low carbs is either not sustainable or pretty bad for you.
That's exactly right...Majority of people who follow low-carb and keto diets do so temporarily and eventually go back to normal way of eating...After they go back to normal way of eating they also end up gaining more weight than before because their bodies and metabolism is all messed up from eating vary high fat and no carbs.
Old 03-09-19, 07:38 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not incorrect. It may not be as scientifically stated as it could be, but it is essentially true. Carbs are the least satiating of the macro nutrients so you will typically overeat. And again, carbs illicit the greatest insulin response, which cause your body to store more fat.

Try the test yourself. I went from a pot belly to a flat waist just by manipulating carbs.
Old 03-09-19, 07:41 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

That's exactly right...Majority of people who follow low-carb and keto diets do so temporarily and eventually go back to normal way of eating...After they go back to normal way of eating they also end up gaining more weight than before because their bodies and metabolism is all messed up from eating vary high fat and no carbs.
I will admit that cutting out ALL carbs is pretty extreme. However, people need to abandon the myth that eating fat is what makes people fat. Excess carbs are what's causing the bulk of the obesity epidemic in this country, that and larger portion sizes, and especially soda consumption.
Old 03-09-19, 07:46 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not incorrect. It may not be as scientifically stated as it could be, but it is essentially true. Carbs are the least satiating of the macro nutrients so you will typically overeat. And again, carbs illicit the greatest insulin response, which cause your body to store more fat.

Try the test yourself. I went from a pot belly to a flat waist just by manipulating carbs.
If you’re training you need to replenish the carbs used during exercise. The suggestion to eat protein and fat and very few carbs after exercise will lead to poor performance. You might lose weight but it’s a poor way to train.
Old 03-09-19, 08:16 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not incorrect. It may not be as scientifically stated as it could be, but it is essentially true. Carbs are the least satiating of the macro nutrients so you will typically overeat.
Carbs such as oatmeal, potatoes, rice, beans, peas, pasta are very satiating and hard to overeat.

Originally Posted by KraneXL,20829859
And again, carbs illicit the greatest insulin response, which cause your body to store more fat.
Complex carbs which are high in fibre cause minimal insulin spike.... and when those carbs are combined with protein and a little bit of healthy fat the insulin response is even smaller. The way I look at it is that, any diet which eliminates and forbids certain food groups is just a fad diet..
Old 03-09-19, 08:37 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
60% carbohydrates, 25% fats and 15% protein is what works for me.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-09-19, 08:41 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Carbs such as oatmeal, potatoes, rice, beans, peas, pasta are very satiating and hard to overeat.
Vegetables and fruits too. It's tough to go wrong with natural unprocessed foods (of the type humans were intended to eat) due to the fiber content, there only so much of them you can eat. It's difficult to over-eat them, nearly impossible.
Old 03-09-19, 09:35 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
From Taubes and Teicholz particularly, but not exclusively. They are overturning decades of false information and pseudo science promoted by the industrial food lobby.

Gary Taubes ? Author of The Case Against Sugar, Why We Get Fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/
Old 03-09-19, 10:26 AM
wolfchild
Banned

From Taubes and Teicholz particularly, but not exclusively. They are overturning decades of false information and pseudo science promoted by the industrial food lobby.

Gary Taubes ? Author of The Case Against Sugar, Why We Get Fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/
What false information ??....It's a fact that ancient humans have been eating various types of carbohydrates for thousands of years, long before agriculture and farming became mainstream.
Old 03-09-19, 01:42 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
He's actually quite wrong historically. Being fat has at many times been a symbol of status. What better way to show affluence than to over-indulge when food is generally scarce? Drinking alcohol pretty constantly was the norm in the U.S. during the pre-industrial era when clean water and uncontaminated beverages were scarce. We underestimate how drunk these people were habitually. Life was generally short, they weren't operating heavy machinery and cars, and pre-machinery farming was actually a pretty miserable life.

I put this radroad guy on ignore because he does the same thing on every topic. He'll start by sounding kind of reasonable, then just gets more and more extreme and insulting. Very dull trolling.
Off topic, but how do you put someone on "Ignore" on this board?
Old 03-09-19, 01:43 PM
OBoile

Again... no.
Old 03-09-19, 01:48 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
However, people need to abandon the myth that eating fat is what makes people fat.
True.
Excess carbs are what's causing the bulk of the obesity epidemic in this country, that and larger portion sizes, and especially soda consumption.
Somewhat false. Excess *everything* (except fruits and vegetables) is what's making people fat in the USA.
Old 03-09-19, 01:49 PM
OBoile

Complex carbs which are high in fibre cause minimal insulin spike.... and when those carbs are combined with protein and a little bit of healthy fat the insulin response is even smaller. The way I look at it is that, any diet which eliminates and forbids certain food groups is just a fad diet..
Correct. High fibre carbs are very satiating.
Old 03-09-19, 05:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by OBoile
Off topic, but how do you put someone on "Ignore" on this board?
You have to be on the full site, not the mobile version. Your ignore list is on your control panel.

My favorite part of that list is that I don't get an email message when one of these guys tries to troll me further.
Old 03-09-19, 05:18 PM
KraneXL

Fine, but nobody eats like that. When was the last time you saw a mom cook old fashioned oats and feed it to her kids? They get the sugar coated cereal where you can eat the whole box and still not feel full.

The other morning I saw a dad feeding his elementary school son and daughter M&Ms, a bag of potato chips and soda pop for breakfast. Your suggestion is ideal, but this is how it plays out in the real world.
Vegetables and fruits too. It's tough to go wrong with natural unprocessed foods (of the type humans were intended to eat) due to the fiber content, there only so much of them you can eat. It's difficult to over-eat them, nearly impossible.
Where there's a will there's a way. But yes, you're only going to chew so many apples.
True.
Somewhat false. Excess *everything* (except fruits and vegetables) is what's making people fat in the USA.
No, you were right the first time. Healthy or not any excess with ultimately make you fat.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-09-19 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 05:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think all of the decent science being done in the area is suggesting that the ideal balance of macronutrients, calories and activity varies enormously from person to person.

It makes sense that there would be enormous genetic variation. We are descended from people who were adapted to very different food supplies and climates.
Old 03-09-19, 05:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

True.
Juicing makes excess fruit intake pretty easy, and french fries are vegetables too, so I probably would drop the qualifiers.

When they were researching props for Mad Men, they realized they had to scale down almost all of the foods, especially pastries and breads. They had to make little bagels and danish, for example, because pretty much no bakeries do so anymore.

When I was losing weight by controlling calorie intake only, I pretty much never ate out because the servings of carbs were always so absurd. If I'm eating with someone who orders fries, I have noticed that they have turned into some kind of loss leader with a really low price for a huge portion. I think 5Guys started this, and it seems to be becoming a universal. I honestly can't think of a worse food to binge on.

BTW, I don't make pasta or rice at home because I find I have no limits on how much I can eat. Refined (white) starches really aren't metabolized significantly slower than sugar. The false belief that they were was one of the fallacies that led to the high carb/low fat disaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.