Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any one else here ride a tandem trike?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-17-19, 01:07 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts

My wife and I ride a recumbent Trike Tandem, which at the moment has a drive train set up of a "Efneo 3 speed drive unit", (instead of a standard triple chain wheel) and a NuVinci N330 CVT rear hub, ie: no derailleurs. On Thursday Sept. 19 we are having the rear drive set up changed to a 10 speed derailleur/11x42 cassette set up to try for more "low" hill climbing gearing!! We'd really like to do at least some "overnight or weekend touring" on our tandem trike so we are hoping the change will make it work for us to do this! Does anyone tour on their recumbent trike tandem? If you do let us know any tips, tricks, ideas you may have to help us make it easier! BTW, we are both 64 years old, I have Reiter's Syndrome, (heavy arthritis) and the wife is a type II diabetic who is also recovering from a heart attack in Jan. 2019 so we are NOT a strong tandem team but we REALLY enjoy being a tandem team, thanks!

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 09-18-19, 02:41 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Great looking bike! You may be the only trike in this group. :-) It looks like you have a good set-up for weekend touring. It looks like you have a set of panniers and a trunk bag which should be good for short tours. It would be interesting to see what other options are available for hauling your gear. I suppose a trailer could be used. Go to hear that your health is on the mend and you are getting out on the road.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 09-19-19, 01:23 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Great looking ride.

My wife and I have a road and mountain tandem, the 2 wheel kind.

But, there was a local couple who picked up a TerraTrike tandem. She was heavy when they first started riding, but the ended up riding the thing all the way across the country. Trikes like that are really stable and people who have them love them.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 09-24-19, 04:26 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Great looking ride.

My wife and I have a road and mountain tandem, the 2 wheel kind.

But, there was a local couple who picked up a TerraTrike tandem. She was heavy when they first started riding, but the ended up riding the thing all the way across the country. Trikes like that are really stable and people who have them love them.
Our first tandem was a really nice Trek 900 recreational tandem and we LOVED it! The problem is I have Reiter's Syndrome a very mean arthritic condition that effects all the "ligaments and tendons" around all the major joints in the body. Well with a 2-wheeled tandem at the stops the captain has to hold up their self, the stroker and a heavier tandem bicycle so after a days ride my KNEES would just swell up and be quite painful!! So sadly we sold the Trek tandem and bought our 1st. recumbent bicycles (singles). I thought about trying a 2-wheeled recumbent tandem but didn't want to put out the expense and find I had the same problem. Happily with the recumbent Trike Tandem I don't have to support any one or thing at stops so it works great for us! We just had a major upgrade to the tandem trike, went from the NuVinci N330 CVT Internal Geared Hub to a 10 speed derailleur/cassette set up for the rear so we now have the drive train: 28/40/52-11x42 and it is making climbing HILLS much easier!! Wish we could afford E-assist but it's beyond our merger fixed income. LOL, still may take a try at a Recumbent Tandem Bicycle if I could find one, used and fairly cheap!