Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 02:41 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I wondered who made those receipts for CVS.

Old 07-21-20, 02:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery.

#N-1

Old 07-21-20, 03:09 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
There is a 4000 foot tall hill behind the house. I guess technically we live on the upslope to the hill. There is a road to the top which is closed to cars and people walk and bike on it
How long is the car-free road?
Originally Posted by SwtBadger
And what of Flugelhorns and playing in a large instrumental band.
No one plays the flugelhorn in the band. #NerdFree
Originally Posted by rjones28
Lazy co-worker.
He must not be in the hot zone.
Old 07-21-20, 03:30 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
"A lot" is a funny term. I haven't gone past The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in the Legendarium, but I do think of them a great deal. I read A Song of Ice and Fire fully (such as it is now, anyway), twice. Other than that though, no such fantasy - lots of Middle Eastern history a decade ago, the Bourne series a few times, most of the pulpy Wingman series, and now I'm tackling It (since I constantly mock the current notion that clowns are scary). And some other randomness - Red Eagles about the research on captured Soviet fighter planes during the Cold War, the first few Clan of the Cave Bear books, some other stuff.
When you're done with It, perhaps the Dark Tower series may be on your list. Perhaps The Talisman.
Old 07-21-20, 03:31 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery.

#N-1
Nice. Bike shortage, you know.
Old 07-21-20, 03:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Nerd:

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-21-20, 04:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
"A lot" is a funny term. I haven't gone past The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in the Legendarium, but I do think of them a great deal. I read A Song of Ice and Fire fully (such as it is now, anyway), twice. Other than that though, no such fantasy - lots of Middle Eastern history a decade ago, the Bourne series a few times, most of the pulpy Wingman series, and now I'm tackling It (since I constantly mock the current notion that clowns are scary). And some other randomness - Red Eagles about the research on captured Soviet fighter planes during the Cold War, the first few Clan of the Cave Bear books, some other stuff.
If you want another great and frustratingly as yet unfinished fantasy, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. He and GRRM both published their most recent installment in 2011, though the next should be the last for Kingkiller.

Another fun fantasy author, and one that can churn out (good) books, is Joe Abercrombie. Start with the First Law trilogy.

In sci-fi, my favorite is Iain M Banks (RIP ). Just started rereading some of his Culture books, since there are no more forthcoming.
Old 07-21-20, 04:19 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
You know what's funny, speaking of unfinished? I'm surprised no one has made a GOT-esque adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It's both finished and public domain, and would make quite a series.
Old 07-21-20, 04:23 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 388 Posts

#N-1
You're doing it wrong. It is supposed to be N+1
Old 07-21-20, 04:47 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
When you're done with It, perhaps the Dark Tower series may be on your list. Perhaps The Talisman.
I'm part way through The Dark Tower, some of it in print and some in audio format. It's been awhile since I've dabbled, but I believe my next installment will be print.

Old 07-21-20, 04:49 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

I have in my life spent zero time poring over spreadsheets. And I last played trumpet in high school. It seems I am not a nerd. A fred, yes.

Old 07-21-20, 04:51 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by gnome
You're doing it wrong. It is supposed to be N+1
I spent my first 37 cycling years of N+1 but have now reached a point where N-1 is more prudent. My wife is scared that she is going to be left with a mess of old parts and bikes some day.

Seriously, over the last couple years, I've managed to reduce my garage to just two uprights, a tandem, and a trike. Sadly, I think the tandem will go next.

Old 07-21-20, 04:57 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Question for the nerds:

I just tried a max heart rate test on my trainer, I tried test #2 here.

My high score today was 185, and I was feeling a little queasy and light headed afterwards, which lasted a minute or so while I was cooling down.

I know I've seen higher out on the bike, at least 187 and on a hot day I've seen low 190s before. Any value in adding a couple BPM for a wuss factor from being on the trainer and not pushing as hard as I theoretically could have physically? Or should I just run what I brung and try it again sometime to see if I can verify the results?

Looking around it seems like the 185-187 value would put my Z2 range from around 150-165, which is what I've found works fairly well for longer rides, so I'm glad to see that correlation. Whether I'm just finding the data that I want to see I'm not sure, I saw another calculator that put the top of Z2 for me at 140. That seems way too low from my experience, but what do I know?
Old 07-21-20, 05:09 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I spent my first 37 cycling years of N+1 but have now reached a point where N-1 is more prudent. My wife is scared that she is going to be left with a mess of old parts and bikes some day.

Seriously, over the last couple years, I've managed to reduce my garage to just two uprights, a tandem, and a trike. Sadly, I think the tandem will go next.
And I'm right behind. One bike is gone, and three are reduced to framesets. One of the still complete bikes is promised to a man in Nebraska (as a frameset). I will soon have just two riders, one town bike, and one coupled bike. One of those riders is earmarked for Bob, every time he visits. I'm right behind in age too. I just turned 68. Catching up.

Old 07-21-20, 05:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Question for the nerds:

My high score today was 185, and I was feeling a little queasy and light headed afterwards, which lasted a minute or so while I was cooling down.

I know I've seen higher out on the bike, at least 187 and on a hot day I've seen low 190s before. Any value in adding a couple BPM for a wuss factor from being on the trainer and not pushing as hard as I theoretically could have physically? Or should I just run what I brung and try it again sometime to see if I can verify the results?

Looking around it seems like the 185-187 value would put my Z2 range from around 150-165, which is what I've found works fairly well for longer rides, so I'm glad to see that correlation. Whether I'm just finding the data that I want to see I'm not sure, I saw another calculator that put the top of Z2 for me at 140. That seems way too low from my experience, but what do I know?
Are you using the zones for indoors or outdoors? The Twitcherati will have separate zones set for each, because they are (or can be) different. I'm too lazy for that.

Also, if you want real data from it, you should consider testing for different zones individually. My HR jumps high and then plateaus, so my low zones are always higher than calculated (and I can't stay in them without doing effectively nothing). Above Z3 it gets more normal.
Old 07-21-20, 05:19 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you want another great and frustratingly as yet unfinished fantasy, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. He and GRRM both published their most recent installment in 2011, though the next should be the last for Kingkiller.

Another fun fantasy author, and one that can churn out (good) books, is Joe Abercrombie. Start with the First Law trilogy.

In sci-fi, my favorite is Iain M Banks (RIP ). Just started rereading some of his Culture books, since there are no more forthcoming.
Kingkiller is great, except he’s never going to finish it , First law is really good too.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series if you’ve got 125k pages worth of time. Erickson’s world building and history is phenomenal.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-21-20, 05:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How long is the car-free road?.
The paved section is 5 miles, all steep with a few small dirt sections. Easy to climb on a road bike but hard to descend because it's steep, twisty and bumpy and people walk on the lower part.
On top of the ridge you can go 2 miles east on dirt and it goes to a fire station/lookout with helipads and once there, you can connect to roads going all over the hills. Lots of cyclists ride these roads and they are open to traffic.
Today I went on the dirt going east and there are roads and trails but I wouldn't take a road bike that way. There are no cars anywhere going that way.

Last edited by big john; 07-21-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 05:22 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
By the way... contract is signed. We should be closing between 8/22-28
Old 07-21-20, 05:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Nerd:

Hey, I could post something similar, but most of them would probably be other D Smiths.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-21-20, 05:52 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
What a relief! You guys must be super excited.
Old 07-21-20, 05:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Question for the nerds:

140 looks reasonable; 150 seems too high. Better to use a calculator that you seed with threshold HR instead of max. Of course, your HR/power will increase during any long ride, especially in the heat.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-21-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 06:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series if you’ve got 125k pages worth of time. Erickson’s world building and history is phenomenal.
I've stayed away from Erikson because I just can't make that big of a commitment. Someday. Maybe.
Old 07-21-20, 06:15 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Are you using the zones for indoors or outdoors? The Twitcherati will have separate zones set for each, because they are (or can be) different. I'm too lazy for that.

Also, if you want real data from it, you should consider testing for different zones individually. My HR jumps high and then plateaus, so my low zones are always higher than calculated (and I can't stay in them without doing effectively nothing). Above Z3 it gets more normal.
Outdoors, likely. The trainer sucks.

Pretty much all of my miles are junk miles, but I'm really looking to make some lifestyle changes and drop a decent amount of weight so even "a training plan" that's not exactly spot on is probably better than what I do now. Which is really JRA for various lengths of time.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
140 looks closer. 150 seems too high. Better to use a calculator that you seed with threshold HR instead of max.
Ah. Comes back to the "what do I know".

I was confusing max with threshold. Using the various online calculators I'm getting a Z2 topping out at around 150 if I put in a threshold heart rate of 165.

I could probably see that, but I guess I need to do another test, eh?
Old 07-21-20, 06:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Excellent!

Old 07-21-20, 06:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Every HR Zone calculator seems to miss mine, so I have to set them manually based on experience.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.