Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Only 1 chainstay and seatstay

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Only 1 chainstay and seatstay

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 06:41 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by seibaatgung
Does a tube patch work equally well on a tire?
There are different types of patches. Most work equally well on the inside of a tire. You probably have patches where you apply the glue, wait for it to be touch dry, then apply the patch. They should work equally well on the inside of a tire.

If you are running sealant in your tire, you need to clean and dry the area to be patched. That might be a challenge out on the road.

Running sealant in tubes is less messy when patching a puncture. However, on very rare occasions you can have a very large hole, and a lot of the sealant comes out.
Old 05-24-21, 07:02 PM
seibaatgung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Large punctures need to be patched.

It is normally a lot less messy if you have sealant in a tube, compared to having sealant in a tubeless tire.

Where I am in S E Asia, they just remove the bead from one side of the tire, and remove the tube, while it is still on the bike. The tube still passes through the frame. I don't like it. I remove the wheel.
I've never patched a tube. Putting a patch on the outside of a tube seems a lot less lasting than patching the inside of a tire based on the physics of it.
Old 05-26-21, 06:58 AM
Inisfallen

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I've never patched a tube. Putting a patch on the outside of a tube seems a lot less lasting than patching the inside of a tire based on the physics of it.
I've never had a bike with tubeless tires, and probably never will. If patching a tubeless tire is fast and easy, that's great. Do tubeless tires require special rims, or can they mount on standard spoked rims? My only experience is with motorcycle tires, and you most definitely cannot mount tubeless tires on the same rims you'd use for tube tires, or on spoked rims.

Anyway, I've had patched tubes that have outlasted tires. In fact, I recently put new tires on my bike, but re-used the tubes already in used. The back tube has a few patches in it. No problem, it's still going strong.
Old 05-26-21, 08:04 AM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by Inisfallen
I've never had a bike with tubeless tires, and probably never will. If patching a tubeless tire is fast and easy, that's great. Do tubeless tires require special rims, or can they mount on standard spoked rims? My only experience is with motorcycle tires, and you most definitely cannot mount tubeless tires on the same rims you'd use for tube tires, or on spoked rims.

Anyway, I've had patched tubes that have outlasted tires. In fact, I recently put new tires on my bike, but re-used the tubes already in used. The back tube has a few patches in it. No problem, it's still going strong.
It's actually kind of difficult, since you need an air compressor or air cartridge to seat the bead.
Old 05-26-21, 09:07 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I'm tubeless. I'm familiar with plugs but if that's not enough how should I patch it?
Me, I’d use a stamp-sized piece of non-woven or nylon cloth, saturate it with liquisole and apply on the inside. Some use tube patches. I believe there also are special tire patches to use.
Old 05-26-21, 09:27 AM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by dabac
Me, I’d use a stamp-sized piece of non-woven or nylon cloth, saturate it with liquisole and apply on the inside. Some use tube patches. I believe there also are special tire patches to use.
Any recommendations on tube or tire patches? I'm not interested in carrying liquisole on my corner bag.
Old 05-26-21, 08:01 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Are there any bikes with a chainstay and seatstay only on the side of the drivetrain?
STRiDA.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-27-21, 12:28 AM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by sweeks
Looks like it could pass for a mobility aid when folded!

Last edited by seibaatgung; 05-27-21 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-27-21, 05:14 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Looks like it could pass for a mobility aid when folded!
Hahaha! Yes, it is a curious design. I had one about 18 years ago... my first foray into folding bikes. It was a brilliant commuter for short hauls: a mile here, two miles there with a train ride in the middle. The belt drive was clean and reliable. It could be folded *literally* in under 5 seconds. I put 1,000 miles on it, but the wheel bearings required frequent maintenance. I was sad to move on from it... but not *that* sad, as I found other, more serviceable, folders.
Old 05-27-21, 06:14 AM
seibaatgung

the wheel bearings required frequent maintenance
frequent lubing?
I found other, more serviceable, folders.
such as?
Old 05-27-21, 08:45 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
In practice, patches on tubes work fine. Many, many people have been doing it for many, many years.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-27-21, 08:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
IDo tubeless tires require special rims, or can they mount on standard spoked rims?
Pretty much every wheel has spokes.

Rims for tubeless tires need to be airtight. This requires more manufacturing finesse, which means the tubeless rims will be more expensive.

The "standard" wheel won't be airtight.

You can use tubes (and regular tires) on tubeless rims but not vice-versa.
Old 05-27-21, 06:30 PM
sweeks

frequent lubing?
More like adjusting, replacing axles, eventually the bearing cups in the rear wheel cracked along the ball track. The cups were stamped out pieces of steel pressed into the plastic wheels. I was in the bearings on the rear wheel literally every 100 miles. Servicing them was easy, but it was clear I was too heavy (at 200 pounds), though well under the raated maximum rider weight.

such as?
Dahon Helios XL, retired after about 3,500 miles, though I still have it as a "spare".
Dahon Mu XL, relegated to "winter bike" status in 2013 (current mileage 12,500), when I got my current folder,
Tern Verge S11i (current mileage 9,000)
The Verge is as stable and rigid as my full-size titanium road bike. All of these bikes have internally-geared rear hubs, which I prefer for bikes with small wheels. I've done centuries on the Dahon Mu XL and the Tern Verge S11i.
Old 05-27-21, 06:49 PM
seibaatgung

More like adjusting, replacing axles, eventually the bearing cups in the rear wheel cracked along the ball track. The cups were stamped out pieces of steel pressed into the plastic wheels. I was in the bearings on the rear wheel literally every 100 miles. Servicing them was easy, but it was clear I was too heavy (at 200 pounds), though well under the raated maximum rider weight.
S11i.
Do you still have it? I'm only 150-155 pounds, depending on how far I am from a pizzeria.
Old 05-27-21, 08:29 PM
sweeks

Do you still have it? I'm only 150-155 pounds, depending on how far I am from a pizzeria.
Yes, I do. I'm not sure parts are available to restore it or upgrade it. I plan to give it to a grandchild if I can do either.
Old 06-07-21, 03:56 AM
Ultimer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some folk craftsmen definitely have
Old 06-07-21, 08:29 AM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by Ultimer
Some folk craftsmen definitely have
source?
Old 07-01-21, 10:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 07-01-21, 11:42 PM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by Reynolds

That yours?
Old 07-02-21, 12:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It's actually kind of difficult, since you need an air compressor or air cartridge to seat the bead.
Are there on the road methods to seat the bead?

I've always thought one could make a hose to connect the front wheel to the rear, and use the opposite tire as an air reservoir. It should be small and compact. Just needing hose, a few valves, and an air inlet valve.

I think I've seen diagrams of using something like a metal water bottle as an air tank, but I don't know if it has gone commercial.
Old 07-02-21, 01:03 AM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by CliffordK

I've always thought one could make a hose to connect the front wheel to the rear, and use the opposite tire as an air reservoir. It should be small and compact. Just needing hose, a few valves, and an air inlet valve.

I think I've seen diagrams of using something like a metal water bottle as an air tank, but I don't know if it has gone commercial.
Air cartridge I've heard works, but they're not refillable.
Old 07-02-21, 08:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Starting at the valve and using a tire lever, you pull as much of the bead onto the bead seat as you can before you start pumping. If it's tight it will make a seal enough to pump up and finish seating. That's the theory anyhow. So far I've still never had a puncture out on the road that would not seal. I'm sure it's harder with a little frame pump but the same idea would help a cartridge do the job.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-02-21, 04:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
That yours?
Not mine, I saw the pic years ago on the web and saved it because it was odd.
Old 07-03-21, 06:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Might search for a Cannondale Onbike. I believe they made like 100 of these (?). It doesn't just have a single sided fork and chainstay, oh no. It has no seatstays at all,F/R disc brakes, an enclosed driveline and a super-special single sided SRAM i9 IGH.

Old 07-03-21, 09:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Those are some wild bikes!
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.