Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Leg Shaving-Episode 2

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-15-21, 08:46 PM
Paul_Smit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The previous post regarding Leg Shaving seems raised a fierce discussion, here’s what i thought after reading all the feedback and thoughtfully decided

I am SHAVING my legs

Call me hypocritical but I’m doing it to make me look pro-like. TBH i don’t really believe in those Areo-related theory, and as a newbie, shaving my legs is the quickest way to blend in.

The follow-up question would be relating to the long-term commitment issues of shaving.

So to those of you who SHAVES, is shaving a long-term thing once you started? Shaving repeatedly sounds like an annoying thing to me.

And would you be open to methods that could lead to permanent hair reduction (e.g. laser)?

Much appreciated to yours responses.
Likes For Paul_Smit:
Old 07-15-21, 08:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_Smit
I’m doing it to make me look pro-like.
Better go on a diet since you need to be below 150lbs.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-15-21, 10:05 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
If you had a girlfriend, you would know how often legs have to be shaved.
Old 07-15-21, 10:48 PM
Paul_Smit

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
guity
Old 07-15-21, 10:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The first time takes a while. If you’re hairy, it helps to knock it down with clippers first, and then razor. Then it’s a 10 minute commitment once a week for me.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-16-21, 12:06 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
It’s about hair removal, not only shaving.

There are many techniques short of anything permanent. Waxing, lotions, etc. Many types of shavers for bony shins. Check online.

Years ago, my 1st wife liked to wax&strip the hairs - gosh only knows why, but she did smile with my every wince or grunt. Just the legs, luckily.
Old 07-16-21, 04:50 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I've been doing it for over a year. I went straight to the epilator and haven't looked back. First time was painful, but thankfully I had a female friend who suggested moisturizing cream after each session and that has reduced the irritation by quite a bit. I can use mine in the shower but I've found that my leg hairs don't cooperate when wet. But now that I'm in a routine, I only have to do it once every three weeks or so. Epilating takes longer than shaving, but again, once every three weeks versus every week. I maybe spend about an hour doing both legs all the way up to the groin. My battery doesn't last that long anymore so I do it in two sessions; up to the thighs one night and the rest the second night. I shower immediately afterwards and at the end of the shower I use coconut oil on the epilated areas and rinse off without scrubbing. I'll use a moisturizing cream once my skin is dry if the coconut oil didn't do the trick. In the case of ingrown hairs, a good scrubbing natural loofah will help free those itchy bastards without a lot of skin irritation.

And I know, it's not very masculine. I really don't care. Maybe it's the smooth skin. Maybe it's the thrill of the pain. Doesn't matter. I like the way it looks and feels and that's the route you wan to go, cool. Don't let anyone stop you
Old 07-16-21, 04:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Once per week after the initial cropping. Wet your legs. Apply shaving cream. Shave. 5 minutes soup to nuts. 80 seconds faster. Cheap speed.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-16-21, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_Smit
The previous post regarding Leg Shaving seems raised a fierce discussion, here’s what i thought after reading all the feedback and thoughtfully decided

I am SHAVING my legs

Call me hypocritical but I’m doing it to make me look pro-like. TBH i don’t really believe in those Areo-related theory, and as a newbie, shaving my legs is the quickest way to blend in.

The follow-up question would be relating to the long-term commitment issues of shaving.

So to those of you who SHAVES, is shaving a long-term thing once you started? Shaving repeatedly sounds like an annoying thing to me.

And would you be open to methods that could lead to permanent hair reduction (e.g. laser)?

Much appreciated to yours responses.
Why the concern about what others do? You can do your own thing with out getting our approval. Heck we'll probably not notice whether your legs are smooth, stubbly or hairy. We'll just be judging your bike and whether you cross the line in front or behind us to gauge your status.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-16-21, 01:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I guess OP is hoping for pics but I'm gonna wait until he starts a fourth thread before I send them.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-16-21, 02:06 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The first time takes a while. If you’re hairy, it helps to knock it down with clippers first, and then razor. Then it’s a 10 minute commitment once a week for me.
Also, after you shave your legs for the first time, you'll freak out about how it feels putting jeans on the first few times. Did I just post that??? Not kidding though.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-16-21, 02:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Also, after you shave your legs for the first time, you'll freak out about how it feels putting jeans on the first few times. Did I just post that??? Not kidding though.
And sheets...the first time you climb into bed it's weird feeling the sheets touch ALL of your legs. I did soap in the shower, not shaving cream. Works great. Definitely use the trimmers first time then shave.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-16-21, 03:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If you’re hairy, it helps to knock it down with clippers first, and then razor.
QFT Do not overlook this advice. Your blade will clog within seconds if you try to shave a wookiee leg with it.

also FWIW I do not shave my legs anymore. There was more risk of crashing when I raced. Now that I don't take as many risks, I don't bother. Plus (most importantly), my wife finds it unattractive.

Last edited by urbanknight; 07-16-21 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 07-16-21, 03:54 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
One can also use a flame, judiciously.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 07-16-21, 04:29 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
And sheets...the first time you climb into bed it's weird feeling the sheets touch ALL of your legs. I did soap in the shower, not shaving cream. Works great. Definitely use the trimmers first time then shave.
This ^^ The first time crawling in to bed with freshly shaved legs. Hard to describe. But once you experience the sensation, you won't forget it.
Old 07-16-21, 06:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Just buy sheer pantyhose. Shaving is a PITA. Since I have Wookie legs, I knock the hair down monthly with Wahl clippers. Super easy and you dont look like a TdF wannabe

Old 07-16-21, 07:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why the concern about what others do? You can do your own thing with out getting our approval. Heck we'll probably not notice whether your legs are smooth, stubbly or hairy. We'll just be judging your bike and whether you cross the line in front or behind us to gauge your status.
there are folks asking about taking a poop before a ride. This is weird to me but tame in comparison.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-16-21, 08:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
there are folks asking about taking a poop before a ride. This is weird to me but tame in comparison.
No, the weird thing was that there was a question about taking a poop during a ride. I only hope they meant getting off the bike first.
Old 07-17-21, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
No, the weird thing was that there was a question about taking a poop during a ride. I only hope they meant getting off the bike first.
The poop thread thing I took as mostly sarcasm from it's OP. Maybe in response to all the threads that seem to be someone needing verification and approval to do something that is entirely a personal preference.

The poop thread was a fun read, even the responses from those that took it very serious.
Old 07-17-21, 09:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This ^^ The first time crawling in to bed with freshly shaved legs. Hard to describe. But once you experience the sensation, you won't forget it.
Many years ago I read about shaving the legs for the first time. the advice was do NOT do it before a race because the feeling of bedding on bare skin often makes getting to sleep difficult.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-18-21, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I don't have enough leg hair to worry about but it's just enough to prevent bandaids from sticking, or to interfere with using a percussion massager and topical analgesics. So once in awhile I'll use the old Norelco when the leg muscles get sore from running -- rarely from cycling. With the Norelco you can even shave over minor abrasions and cuts -- don't try that with a razor. But I haven't used a real razor in decades. I'd consider it if I got serious about time trials or tri-bike stuff.
Old 07-18-21, 04:35 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The poop thread thing I took as mostly sarcasm from it's OP. Maybe in response to all the threads that seem to be someone needing verification and approval to do something that is entirely a personal preference.

The poop thread was a fun read, even the responses from those that took it very serious.
After reading through both threads I called my Dad and thanked him for instilling in me the basic common sense needed to make decisions such as what to shave and when to poop.
Old 07-19-21, 01:18 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Way too much thought is being put into this shaving thing. I've been doing it for 7-8 years. Actually, I shave my arms, legs, chest, and I get my wife to shave my back. I hate having all of that hair on my body. Most of the really fit guys you see, whether it be MMA, professional wrestlers, what the hell ever sport they're in, they are shaven all over. You don't see too many fit guys looking like a sasquatch. I just use a cheap Gillette disposable razor while I'm in the shower. I cut myself every once in a while but not much. It ain't nuclear physics. Do whatever makes you happy and to hell with what anybody else thinks.