Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sweat in the eyes on warm days

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-20-21, 12:39 AM
NextDIYikeproj
DIY:er

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

I’m a guy that is blessed with a beautiful head and therefore have no hair 😉. I also tend to sweat a lot when I ride on warm days. The sweat simply flows down in to my eyes and drips on to my glasses.

I got an idea to solve this in a cheap and simple way and I thought I would share it.

Do you have the same problem? How did you sole it?

Likes For NextDIYikeproj:
Old 07-20-21, 01:05 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Interesting solution.

I like cotton sweat bands. I was doing a lot of commuting earlier, so I would simply hang it out to dry whenever I would stop, then rotate the driest, least white section to the front. But they would generally do fine for longer rides too.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-20-21, 01:41 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I wear a cycling cap
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-20-21, 01:46 AM
NextDIYikeproj

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I wear a cycling cap
I've tried a lot of caps, but I like the helmet tight and a cap tends to be uncomfortable and sqeezed in. But that is a matter of personal preference!
Old 07-20-21, 02:06 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Never found anything that effectively wicks away all of the moisture, for the full duration of a ride (or run, or hours of tennis, or whatever).

A cotton sweatband around the head seems to work as well as anything, for me. Perhaps with today's newfangled wicking materials, a better "mouse trap" has been designed.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-20-21, 02:16 AM
NextDIYikeproj

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Never found anything that effectively wicks away all of the moisture, for the full duration of a ride (or run, or hours of tennis, or whatever).

A cotton sweatband around the head seems to work as well as anything, for me. Perhaps with today's newfangled wicking materials, a better "mouse trap" has been designed.
I doubt there is a 100% solution, it''s more about damage control. And some ways are better than others!
Old 07-20-21, 02:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Cotton bandanas. I have a zillion of 'em. They're thin enough that my helmets fit fine over the bandana. They keep the sweat out of my eyes. It disperses and evaporates quickly.

If I want to leave the top of my head exposed I'll fold the bandanas to cover only my forehead. My older bandanas are worn and thin enough that it doesn't hinder my helmet fit.

I have enough of them that I can wear a fresh one every day for a month, so I wash 'em every couple of weeks.

Usually I'm a fan of newer synthetic wicking tech fabrics, but in this case plain ol' cotton works fine for me.

FWIW, I have long hair and that usually helps control sweat. But not always.

I also have helmets with drip channels over the brow to divert sweat away from the face. It works pretty much like your window sealing method -- the sweat band diverts sweat to the drip channels. Those kinda work, but the dripping sweat gets blown back into my face anyway. Kinda feels like fat raindrops in a summer sun shower. So the cotton bandanas work better for me.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-20-21, 03:51 AM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Skull cap with SPF50 rather than a cycling cap. Super thin but no more sweat in eyes or on glasses.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 07-20-21, 05:02 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
With temps in the mid to high 90's here in Maryland, I've struggled with sweat in my eyes for most of July. My brother suggested a skullcap. I bought this one, which is also SPF50 rated, helpful as my bald head burns if I forget sunscreen. I've taken a few rides with the cap, it's definitely not a 100% solution, but helps. The weather strip solution.in the video doesn't look viable to me, it seems like the helmet would be too snug.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093GBGKPD...roduct_details

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....483369110_.gif
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 07-20-21, 05:35 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by NextDIYikeproj
I’m a guy that is blessed with a beautiful head and therefore have no hair 😉. I also tend to sweat a lot when I ride on warm days. The sweat simply flows down in to my eyes and drips on to my glasses.

I got an idea to solve this in a cheap and simple way and I thought I would share it.

Do you have the same problem? How did you sole it?

https://youtu.be/DjVf2K-9qag
I always ride with a do rag. Don’t you get helmet lines all over your head?
Old 07-20-21, 05:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
https://store.haloheadband.com/
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-20-21, 06:02 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Bandana and another in jersey pocket for quick dry and swap when needed.
Can also rinse for cool / clean off.
Old 07-20-21, 07:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I have less hair than this guy and I use a halo headband AND a Under Armor Skullcap. Adter 90 minutes I usually stop and wring the headband, and I'm good for another hour or 90 minutes.
Old 07-20-21, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
SweatVac has worked for me for quite a while. I got one just to keep from getting those strange spotted patterns on my head from where the sun shines through my helmet. It's also seems to cool my head better than without. Sometimes I wet it before the ride on real hot dry days.

There was a time a few years ago that I was having a lot of trouble with sweat again rolling down into my eyes, then I realized I'd just started putting my SweatVac on so it sat further up on my brow, concealed by my helmet. When I started putting it just over my brow again, the sweat stopped getting in my eyes.

But I'm sure most anything like a sweat band, dew rag or whatever works as long as you get it in the right place.
Old 07-20-21, 09:14 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Halo headband works for me...and I doubt any of you sweat more than me That little rubber strip on the headband works better than any cotton product. Forces all the sweat away from your eyes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-20-21, 09:17 AM
NextDIYikeproj

Originally Posted by BikingViking793
I always ride with a do rag. Don’t you get helmet lines all over your head?
Do you mean from the sunburn or from the sealing?

From sunburn, no, never had that problem.

From the sealing, a bit, check the video, but it wears off in half an hour or so. 😃
Likes For NextDIYikeproj:
Old 07-20-21, 09:21 AM
NextDIYikeproj

Originally Posted by Warbird21
The weather strip solution.in the video doesn't look viable to me, it seems like the helmet would be too snug.
since I removed the original padding, the sealing doesn’t build much more than before the switch. So not a problem. 👍
Old 07-20-21, 09:33 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Depend on how much you sweat. For extreme cases a GUTR headband is good. Halo is next in line. There used to be a product called a Sweatshoot, which was like a GUTR sewn into a wicking headband. Those were best in my opinion.
Old 07-20-21, 09:41 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
There's another thread on this very topic that's been discussed in detail.

I'm a firm believer in the Halo head band and Halo "bandana". I live in the muggy southeast and the way these are designed with a silicone rubber band built into the head band keeps sweat from running into the eyes. Quite effective actually and also saves the inner pads on the helmet.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-20-21, 09:43 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My favorite is the headsweats shorty
Likes For kingston:
Old 07-20-21, 09:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
In my racing days, I took a different approach. I did nothing to keep sweat out of my eyes, but I did remove the salt from my sweat. It didn't sting.

The solution was very simple (but very un-American). I kept sodium out of my diet. Consumed perhaps 1000mg/day. But this meant I ate virtually no prepared foods. 3/4s of the supermarket was simply off limits.

Prior to starting this routine, I read that the human body adjusts its salt output (via sweat and urine) to the average amount of sodium it consumes. In other words, if you regularly consume 2000mg of sodium/day, your body puts a percentage of salt your urine and sweat to add up to 2000mg at the end of the day. But our bodies only have a very broad based "sodium-a-stat". It cannot react to what you are doing now. So a person who consumes a lot of sodium will be placing a large percentage of sodium into his/her sweat. The person who stays near sodium free will have near salt free sweat. No salt in the eyes. Also very little need for salt intake on very hot days. (Potassium doesn't play by the same rules. It must be replaced by everybody.)

That this works can be seen simply by looking at other parts of the world. There are people who live in desert climates with no local salt sources. Salt may be very expensive, an item for the wealthy. The poor? They don't eat it and don't need it. We westerners go there and if were aren't hanging with the wealthy, we'd better bring our salt or we suffer. And in contrast, my dad's stories of marching through Texas in the Army, WW2. Very high salt diet. More was consumed before the hot marches. The issued blouses streaked white down the back from salt. Those who consumed too little keeled over. Got rounded up by the medics, given salt intravenously (very, very unpleasant according to my dad) and sent back out.

Lastly, the low salt routine is NOT a quick fix. It takes many months to retrain the body to not excrete sodium. You have to taper down gradually or riskj sodiun deficit. (I found that came fairly naturally. It took my months to identify all the sources of salt; it is so pervasive.) I warned that this was un-American. But there is a real plus. Your jersey will stay far more pleasant!
Old 07-20-21, 09:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Ride a recumbent.

No sweat in your eyes.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-20-21, 12:43 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I don't know if it was you or another poster that mentioned these but I got two from Amazon about a week ago. I've used it on my walk and my eyes are now protected from the salty, burning sweat for my three mile hilly walk. I have a bit less problem while biking where a HeadSweat works. But hiking I'm always wringing out the Headsweat or other bands. Have not tried the Halo on a hike yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-II-Headb...%2C230&sr=1-11
Old 07-20-21, 01:42 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I know I've mentioned this in another thread or two but the halo headbands don't work any better/longer than a cheap cotton headband for me, dripping into my eyes after about 30 minutes. I have 4 different halo models (skullcap, wide, regular, narrow). Lately I have been using a SweatBlocker Headband from Original Free Range (https://originalfreerange.com/collec.../sweat-blocker). These are the same concept (although a much simpler implementation) as a gutr but are $7 vs $20+ for a gutr.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 07-20-21, 02:24 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting solution.

I like cotton sweat bands. I was doing a lot of commuting earlier, so I would simply hang it out to dry whenever I would stop, then rotate the driest, least white section to the front. But they would generally do fine for longer rides too.
I used to take two sweat bands with me. One to wear and one to hang out to dry on my handlebar.

I have found the ultimate solution but you might not want to hear it. Since I started riding recumbents I haven't had sweat in my eyes while riding. Actually I had forgotten about sweat in the eyes until the OP brought it up.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.