Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

First time "real" MT. Biking....it sucked!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 07:49 PM
kmulder

Bikes: Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just purchased a used Specialized Rockhopper recently and took it out today for my first real ride. It absolutely sucked.

Some background: I'd consider myself a road cyclist. I'm in pretty decent shape, have done some races, and enjoy going on 30+ mile rides 3x a week. I have no problem doing climbs on a road bike.

But, today, I felt like I was dragging a dead horse behind me. I had absolutely no energy to grab a bigger gear, stand up, and mash up the climbs. I found myself sitting down in the granny gear the whole time, spinning like mad, and sucking air. When it came time for a downhill, I simple sat down and coasted down, too tired from the climb to do anything.

I'm not sure what the deal was. Is MT. Biking just THAT much different than road biking? (muscles, etc.) Is the bike I got just that low-end? (it's in like-new condition) What's the deal!

To be honest, it felt like my tires were flat (which they weren't) and I was riding through loose sand the whole time (which I wasn't)

And even though it sucked, I still had a blast, and will hit the trails again to mix up my road riding.
Old 05-01-10, 08:07 PM
zeo_max

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB IS that much different from road cycling. MTB climbs will get the air out of your lungs much faster than a road climb. Learning to maintain momentum is also much more crucial in MTB than in roadie. There are many short climbs on the trails that can only be conquered by keeping momentum, no way to power through them. And obviously a lot more handling skill is required. Keep at it. You'll see that MTB will help your road biking, and road biking will help your MTB (increasing your cardio).
Old 05-01-10, 08:09 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
it's just different. bike is heavier, wheels & tires are heavier, your bike isn't "fit" for peak power all the time, knobbies roll less easy than slicks, etc.
did you drink water at all? did you eat right before your ride?
Old 05-01-10, 08:12 PM
kmulder

Bikes: Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply zeo....I figured it was different, but didn't think it would be THAT much different. But then again, if I tried to run a mile......

Darth - I had water, and at about 1 hour before the ride.

Also, the ride was 9.8 miles with LOTS of steep little climbs and very few flat sections.
Old 05-01-10, 08:36 PM
Al Slick

Bikes: 2010 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To second what max said already, momentum can be a key factor. I've learned to gain speed everywhere that I can in order to get up and over some of the more ridiculous climbs. I can get up a lot of steep hills now that I used to stall and fall on. If you're already riding 3 30mile rides a week on the road then you should learn to like off-roading very quickly!
Old 05-01-10, 08:41 PM
Covalent Jello
DEJA VU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOunds like you just picked a lot of tough trails !
Old 05-01-10, 09:03 PM
bchboy1206

Bikes: IBEX Expert X9, Trek Madine 5.2, Giant Advanced TCR SL 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree, well for me too I should say. MTB is a different animal. I went out to a 7 mile loop and it about killed me. I had to push my bike up a couple climbs.
I just think I am a little too old for it now. I may just put my mountain bike up for sale, thats how much I suffered...
Old 05-01-10, 09:14 PM
Business810

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As another roadie turned MTB'er, I can vouch for how big of a role skill and technique play. It can be really discouraging, having fitness but feeling really slow. You've got to keep at it, though, in order to improve.

I still am profoundly lacking in skill, but at least I have fun while I'm doing it...
Old 05-01-10, 09:31 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Sounds kinda like skiing, you went straight to the Black diamonds. Get the feel for the bike on some easier trails and progress. But MTBing is a kick. The only reason for paved roads is to find new trails. The day to catching some air is only a few more rides away.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-01-10, 09:34 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bchboy1206
I have to agree, well for me too I should say. MTB is a different animal. I went out to a 7 mile loop and it about killed me. I had to push my bike up a couple climbs.
I just think I am a little too old for it now. I may just put my mountain bike up for sale, thats how much I suffered...
Hey, I'm 56 and enjoy riding. Dont sell the bike. I have some 7 mile loops around here that take an hour and include some portage. I also have found some 20 mile 3 hour loops that include a stop for a cigar. This is the fun sport. NEVER GIVE UP!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-02-10, 05:57 AM
BurnNotice
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another fellow roadie hits the wall! Catdaddy.........don't give up on mtn. biking due to your first real ride. It is a different style of riding and while it does not use a different set of muscles, it attacks the muscles in a different way. I too ride alot on the saddle when mtn. biking as compared to road riding. You just don't have the stiffness in a mtn. bike as compared to a road frame. But why would you? You need the front fork and a if you ride "fs" then the rear gives some too for the beating you take on a great downhill trail with rocks and roots!

You may want to ride some easy trails to get your legs adjusted to the style of riding then progress to intermediate trails and then do it in stages! You will learn to like it and actually find where each compliment the other.

I think roadies are better at standing and smashing but trailers as I call mtn. bikers are more level endurant.

It still kicks my arse to this day depending on which trail we ride but I have to say, once I am screaming down the trail like a banshee with his arse on fire it is worth every smile!

Last edited by BurnNotice; 05-02-10 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-02-10, 06:04 AM
BurnNotice
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SportLeg

Try some of this too..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Legs..jpg (13.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-02-10, 06:20 AM
estabro
lungbuster

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road, SSFG Road, Kona FS MTN, Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
MTB IS that much different from road cycling. MTB climbs will get the air out of your lungs much faster than a road climb. Learning to maintain momentum is also much more crucial in MTB than in roadie. There are many short climbs on the trails that can only be conquered by keeping momentum, no way to power through them. And obviously a lot more handling skill is required. Keep at it. You'll see that MTB will help your road biking, and road biking will help your MTB (increasing your cardio).
Exactly.
Old 05-02-10, 09:59 PM
W Cole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB biking is a lot different, I had a bit of trouble with the conversion as well, but its definately great training. With MTB you have to put out a lot of watts (25% hills are not uncommon) for a short period of time and then recover. On a roadbike you put out a much more steady wattage without ever really needing to recover. On the roadbike you can try doing hill repeats and shorter intervals to mimic mtb.
Old 05-02-10, 11:34 PM
carkmouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how the OP feels.

I recently borrowed a friend's mid/high-end Novarra mtn bike to take out on a local single track trail at a state park nearby. I usually ride out to the same lake on my touring bike, but getting out in the woods on a mountain bike let me experience the same park from a completely new level.

The ride through the woods kicked my ass. I got exhausted, dirty, and came close to hurting myself a few times. But the whole experience was sublime. It's hectic and loud when moving and peacefully silent when stopped. There's also no idiots yelling out the windows of a passing trucks - a definite plus.

Mountain biking though the woods is a whole different animal from riding on paved roads --- a whole new set of hazards and skill requirements present themselves, and it can be very challenging and intimidating to those of us who are used to just riding roads.

I definitely want to try it again soon.
Old 05-02-10, 11:54 PM
Al Slick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah dudes often tell me to "get a car" when I'm riding on the streets. The funny thing is I think my bike costs more than most of their autos.
Old 05-03-10, 06:55 AM
BurnNotice
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Slick
Yeah dudes often tell me to "get a car" when I'm riding on the streets. The funny thing is I think my bike costs more than most of their autos.
********** That came from left field!
Old 05-03-10, 06:57 AM
Covalent Jello
DEJA VU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lmao
Old 05-03-10, 07:40 AM
Al Slick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carkmouch
I know how the OP feels.

I recently borrowed a friend's mid/high-end Novarra mtn bike to take out on a local single track trail at a state park nearby. I usually ride out to the same lake on my touring bike, but getting out in the woods on a mountain bike let me experience the same park from a completely new level.

The ride through the woods kicked my ass. I got exhausted, dirty, and came close to hurting myself a few times. But the whole experience was sublime. It's hectic and loud when moving and peacefully silent when stopped. There's also no idiots yelling out the windows of a passing trucks - a definite plus.

Mountain biking though the woods is a whole different animal from riding on paved roads --- a whole new set of hazards and skill requirements present themselves, and it can be very challenging and intimidating to those of us who are used to just riding roads.

I definitely want to try it again soon.

See!!! Not totally random..
Old 05-03-10, 09:30 AM
craigcraigcraig
Don't really have a bike.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are all just a bunch of nancies.
Old 05-03-10, 10:07 AM
Johnny Law
Firm Believer

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Element Race, Azonic DS1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my Hardtail Giant on a 15 mile road ride to my Grandparents yesterday just for the fun of it.. It was really simple lol.. There were pretty tall hills and all but i didn't even notice them i just peddled right on through them and got there in about a 45 mins or so. So now i can say from experience.. Mountain Biking is a whole lot more difficult that road biking (In that case)
Old 05-03-10, 10:32 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by craigcraigcraig
you are all just a bunch of nancies.
I agree. It sounds like you guys just suck.
Old 05-03-10, 10:47 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have a classic Stumpjumper M2 and compared to my Surly Cross Check or either of my 80s steel Italian racers it is like peddling through molasses even on smooth pavement much less off road but then, save for the Surly CC, none of my others bikes would hold up to rough trails etc. So it is what it is, fat, heavy tires and wheels and 26 inchers at that and a heavier bike all add up and the front suspension that sucks up energy also. It is mostly the wheels and TIRES, the squishy, knobby tires suck.
Old 05-03-10, 11:12 AM
Al Slick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I have a classic Stumpjumper M2 and compared to my Surly Cross Check or either of my 80s steel Italian racers it is like peddling through molasses even on smooth pavement much less off road but then, save for the Surly CC, none of my others bikes would hold up to rough trails etc. So it is what it is, fat, heavy tires and wheels and 26 inchers at that and a heavier bike all add up and the front suspension that sucks up energy also. It is mostly the wheels and TIRES, the squishy, knobby tires suck.
You suck!
Old 05-03-10, 11:21 AM
BurnNotice
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Slick
See!!! Not totally random..
Yes your right! I guess when you have a AMC Gremlin or a Ford Pinto go by you then we all have bikes worth more than the cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.