Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Embarrassed Rider

Old 02-07-20, 04:32 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
In Australia have never heard anyone comment about my weight. I think it is because there are a lot of overweight people in Australia. I am not unusual. I feel good about myself. When I go cycling, I am not concerned what others think.

I also spend a lot of time in Cambodia. During the early visits, I would walk a lot. Cambodians would often say, look how fat he is. While I feel good about myself, It starts to get annoying after 100 times.

Since then I bought a fat bike. It is ideal in Cambodia when you go on dirt tracks, where there can sometimes be a lot of mud. Most Cambodian villagers have never seen a fat bike. Now, people often comment more about the bike, than they comment about me.

Maybe those concerned about comments could get some kind of bike which stands out. Or add accessories to the bike so it stands out. So the bike gets the attention.
Old 02-07-20, 04:46 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Fat bikes are good for tall and fat challenged people.

The handlebars are normally higher than ordinary bikes because the tyres are higher. Get one with front suspension for even more height. It is easy to get a long seat post, and raise the seat. But if you raise the handlebars, you may also need to replace the cables. It is good if the handlebars are higher to start with.

The large tyres also spread out the weight, so you are less likely to break spokes on a fat bike. I have not broken any yet.
Old 02-10-20, 05:33 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
I'm a big boy too 290, getting back on it now...this thread is o e of the reasons I hoind this forum...motivation, thank you!
Old 08-22-20, 05:31 AM
LOPOLOYAS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2nd, I知 not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I知 a Clyde.
Old 08-27-20, 08:20 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Let me tell you a little story......I am going to be 70 this year, Im in fairly good shape. Up until a double knee replacement I was an avid rider. My wife passed away from cancer in 2005.......Several years later I decided to do a charity ride up here in Canada. Its a two day event, about 180 km. You can pound it or smell the roses. Anyway, went to a pre ride fund raiser and this snotty little millenial looked at my 5' 11' 175 lbs body and said, "Hey dad, you got an ebike?" I was alone at this very partisan event, I was about 65 at the time, felt like packing it in...... So, off I went on the day struggling up a real good hill, many were walking, I was in the saddle. Who did I see sitting on the side of the road breathless, you got it. I sarcastically asked him if he needed a tow, a flip of my fiunger and I was off. Later that day I learbned my time up that hill was the 6th fastest, EVER! Get out, ride, enjoy, its for you, not anyone else.
Likes For banjaboy:
Old 03-17-23, 09:20 PM
starjet905

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 96kg when I first made an account here a little over three months ago, but due to various reasons, never got around to post
I am now 89kg, so technically below the mark, but still very much borderline (I am also pretty short at 167cm, so this is still pretty fat)
I've been cycling every other day since then and got to the point where I do at least 10km in one go, which is admittedly not a long distance, but as someone who has been working from home and being very much sedentary since 2017, it feels like an achievement (I could barely do 2km without panting like a dog or something)

However, my problem is that no matter what, I can't seem to be able to go fast enough
I ride a cheap single speed bike, so that would probably limit what I can do, but I still see posts around (not just here) by people who claim to do 20 miles/h on average on single speed bikes, whereas my average tends to be around 16 km/h (which is roughly 10 miles/h) even when there's very little traffic
Hoping to get faster with time though
Old 03-17-23, 11:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by starjet905
I was 96kg when I first made an account here a little over three months ago, but due to various reasons, never got around to post
I am now 89kg, so technically below the mark, but still very much borderline (I am also pretty short at 167cm, so this is still pretty fat)
I've been cycling every other day since then and got to the point where I do at least 10km in one go, which is admittedly not a long distance, but as someone who has been working from home and being very much sedentary since 2017, it feels like an achievement (I could barely do 2km without panting like a dog or something)

However, my problem is that no matter what, I can't seem to be able to go fast enough
I ride a cheap single speed bike, so that would probably limit what I can do, but I still see posts around (not just here) by people who claim to do 20 miles/h on average on single speed bikes, whereas my average tends to be around 16 km/h (which is roughly 10 miles/h) even when there's very little traffic
Hoping to get faster with time though
Your speed on a singlespeed bike is very much dictated by the gearing. Your fitness will also be a major factor, but a low gear ratio will be limiting, no matter how fit you are. For example, I知 pretty fit, and an experienced cyclist (former racer), but my singlespeed MTB is geared for climbing hills. On flat ground, I am comfortable at 12mph, and spun out at 14mph.
Old 03-18-23, 07:37 AM
starjet905

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Your speed on a singlespeed bike is very much dictated by the gearing. Your fitness will also be a major factor, but a low gear ratio will be limiting, no matter how fit you are. For example, I知 pretty fit, and an experienced cyclist (former racer), but my singlespeed MTB is geared for climbing hills. On flat ground, I am comfortable at 12mph, and spun out at 14mph.
Thanks for the response
I will look into figuring out what my gear ratio actually is
I'm very new to this and where I am it's the norm for people to just buy a pre-built bike and ride away without paying much attention to things like gearing