Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Why you should buy a Quarq! Customer Service.

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-18-13, 10:38 PM
skinnyguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had purchased a used Quarq that I have had for the last 4 months. I has worked flawlessly until last week when it began to give me a few mid ride issues. One day it was okay next day no good. So I contacted Quarq and was instructed to send it in for them to have a look at it. They thought it may have an electronics pod problem. My unit was purchased by its first owner in February 2010. So that meant it was just out of the 2 year warranty they offer but was told that they could let it slide. Their customer service was very interactive. I received notification of its arrival to Quarq on Friday. I received and e-mail today that reads as follows:

Dan,

We have your powermeter ready for return shipment. Just to let you know, your S975 failed in-house testing. It has been replaced with the RIKEN powermeter since the S975 has been discontinued. The RIKEN is on a new platform with upgraded features including LED indicator and OMNICal (choice of chainrings will not compromise calibration accuracy).

Here is a link to the product info on our website: https://www.quarq.com/quarq-riken-10r

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel to contact our Customer service Team.

Lorrie Thorman

Quarq Customer Service

So a one day turnaround and they ship back a new quarq from a company that was not obligated to do anything from their end. The finest customer service I have ever experienced. All companies should take note of this. I am a Quarq user for life and that is all I have to say.
Old 03-18-13, 11:38 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
That's good. Virtually everyone I know with a Quark has had to return at least one, some as many as 4.

FWIW both SRM and Saris also provide excellent customer service.
Old 03-19-13, 12:26 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never returned my Quarq, but every time I have an odd-ball question they answer it on the spot and have been great about everything I've needed.
Old 03-19-13, 04:02 AM
The_Cretin
Pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best customer service is the one you never need.
Old 03-19-13, 05:24 AM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I called them with questions about my own quarq the guy I talked with was not only pretty funny, he heckled me a bit. I thought it was pretty amusing.
Old 03-19-13, 06:16 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Cretin
The best customer service is the one you never need.
True, but when we are dealing with electronics like this there is usually issues at some point and knowing they stand behind their product is extremely important...

Skinnyguy, you sent it directly to the US...correct?
I just got mine and don't foresee a problem, but knowing that I don't need to deal with a local distributor will make me happy.

I've heard all the feel good stories about Saris, but dealing with the Canadian distributor was a nightmare. Sent my PT in and it took 3wks to get it back and they buggered up something else and it was another 3wks before it was returned.
Old 03-19-13, 06:21 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
That's good. Virtually everyone I know with a Quark has had to return at least one, some as many as 4.

Not to derail the thread but is SRM excellent about second hand purchases as well? They do seem to be going down in price in the used market.
Old 03-19-13, 06:35 AM
skinnyguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506
True, but when we are dealing with electronics like this there is usually issues at some point and knowing they stand behind their product is extremely important...

Skinnyguy, you sent it directly to the US...correct?
I just got mine and don't foresee a problem, but knowing that I don't need to deal with a local distributor will make me happy.

I've heard all the feel good stories about Saris, but dealing with the Canadian distributor was a nightmare. Sent my PT in and it took 3wks to get it back and they buggered up something else and it was another 3wks before it was returned.

I sent it direct to Quarq. I used to have a PT and found the same problem. Their CS was good but you had to go through a PT dealer and it was usually 3 weeks or so to get it back. They did fix my wheel every time no cost also but timing is important.
Old 03-19-13, 07:09 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quark you say?

Old 03-19-13, 07:47 AM
shovelhd

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, they sold quite a few of them with bad electronics pods that caused a rash of repairs. Something got redesigned and the problem went away.

No matter what kind of power meter you have, there are going to be times when it has to go in for service. I have a Powertap wheel and a spare Apex crank as a backup.
Old 03-19-13, 08:24 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have an early quarq (that has never been sent in.....Racer Ex) but the original design of the battery cover was faulty. It was essentially the screw cap of a contact lens case. It cracked. I called them and they over-nighted me a replacement and a couple of quarq water bottles for my trouble. on my desk via UPS in 24 hours.

The new batter cover is different/more robust design and it has been a non-issue.
Old 03-19-13, 08:33 AM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Yeah, they sold quite a few of them with bad electronics pods that caused a rash of repairs. Something got redesigned and the problem went away.

No matter what kind of power meter you have, there are going to be times when it has to go in for service. I have a Powertap wheel and a spare Apex crank as a backup.
Good point on the spare crank. I was getting ready to sell two sets collecting dust. Now I think I'll hand onto one.
Old 03-19-13, 08:48 AM
The_Cretin
Pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using SRMs for 15 years and have never had to send one in for service of any sort.
Old 03-19-13, 09:30 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm on my 4th Quarq unit in two years, but this last time they replaced it with a Riken, and I'm hoping that will be the end of my issues. My first unit started drastically underreporting power (no, really), and they replaced it. I crashed, and that unit started doing the same thing. They replaced that one, but the replacement immediately started exhibiting the underreporting issue, and they replaced it with a Riken. Initial feedback on the Riken is that it has much less zero-offset drift. It can drift some after a warmup, but if you do a calibration after warmup, any material drift goes away, I haven't done any re-torquing or applied carbon past.
Old 03-19-13, 09:33 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using SRMs for 15 years and have never had to send one in for service of any sort.
Those are some pretty stout batteries.
Old 03-19-13, 09:37 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
battery changing?

i've been using a quarq since 2010 and only time i've sent mine back was to have the crankset changed to accomodate a different bb when i got a new frame. it came back with new chainrings!

maybe i dont pay attention enough to the readings or something, but i've heard about lots of issues but have never had any.

although a few versions ago, my ptap was a different story, didnt work in the rain, cold, wind, sunshine if too bright, music too loud in the basement, etc., and the bearings in the hub were crap.
Old 03-19-13, 09:58 AM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I'm on my 4th Quarq unit in two years, but this last time they replaced it with a Riken, and I'm hoping that will be the end of my issues. My first unit started drastically underreporting power (no, really), and they replaced it. I crashed, and that unit started doing the same thing. They replaced that one, but the replacement immediately started exhibiting the underreporting issue, and they replaced it with a Riken. Initial feedback on the Riken is that it has much less zero-offset drift. It can drift some after a warmup, but if you do a calibration after warmup, any material drift goes away, I haven't done any re-torquing or applied carbon past.
I've got an ELSA and a Garmin 500. Before I ride I try to let the bike sit outside or inside (wherever I'm riding) for 10 minutes or so before I do anything, then I find the PM setting on the 500 hit calibrate, and when a number comes up (generally around the same number) I ride. Should I do more? Pedal backwards 4 times after riding for 10 or 15 minutes?
Old 03-19-13, 10:01 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by island rider
I've got an ELSA and a Garmin 500. Before I ride I try to let the bike sit outside or inside (wherever I'm riding) for 10 minutes or so before I do anything, then I find the PM setting on the 500 hit calibrate, and when a number comes up (generally around the same number) I ride. Should I do more? Pedal backwards 4 times after riding for 10 or 15 minutes?
Check it a couple of times 10-15' into your ride, by calibrating with the 500 to see if the number changes significantly from when you started. If not, then you're golden.
Old 03-19-13, 10:21 AM
The_Cretin
Pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are some pretty stout batteries.
I always changed them myself. Even in the PCV. I replaced SRM crank batteries less frequently than people replaced their entire Quarq cranks.
Old 03-19-13, 10:48 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't send them in for service because you were willing to void your warranty and you are handy with a soldering iron. That's a rather disingenuous argument.
Old 03-19-13, 10:53 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by thechemist
Not to derail the thread but is SRM excellent about second hand purchases as well? They do seem to be going down in price in the used market.
Yep.
Old 03-19-13, 10:56 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

You didn't send them in for service because you were willing to void your warranty and you are handy with a soldering iron. That's a rather disingenuous argument.
Well, if it was out of warranty then it didn't matter. FWIW I usually get 18-24 months out of my SRM batteries and always end up sending them in before they die.
Old 03-20-13, 07:12 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
I've never returned my Quarq, but every time I have an odd-ball question they answer it on the spot and have been great about everything I've needed.
6 months in, and this is my story.
Old 03-20-13, 09:31 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I e-mailed them about a low battery indicator I was getting after about 50-100 hours. I was told that the temps could be playing a role, makes sense as I was riding in low to sub 30 degree temps. However, he also said I should check the voltage because the temps could result in lower voltage, rather than actual battery drain. I asked how I could check the voltage. The reply, "You can check the voltage with a volt meter." ... ya don't say...

I'm still not sure if he was busting my balls.

... and no I'm not complaining.
Old 03-20-13, 09:50 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another tip for quarq users (or any users of devices with 2032 or similar batteries): wear gloves when handling the batteries. seriously.

oils from fingers get on these batteries and they tend to discharge faster than they should. your hands may seem clean, or you may think you're handling the battery carefully, but for anyone experiencing what they think is batteries dying too early, give this a shot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.