Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Old 11-06-14, 04:54 PM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I came in here searching Surly to read the pros and cons of the Crosscheck. So far I've seen that they are great bikes, they are so so bikes, that they are no that great, that people need to learn how to be better comprehensive readers, that American has craft beers and Europe doesn't, and that some people really haven't a clue what they are talking about.
Likes For Drummerboy1975:
Old 11-06-14, 04:57 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
I came in here searching Surly to read the pros and cons of the Crosscheck. So far I've seen that they are great bikes, they are so so bikes, that they are no that great, that people need to learn how to be better comprehensive readers, that American has craft beers and Europe doesn't, and that some people really haven't a clue what they are talking about.
It's one of the more entertaining threads in a while within the Commuting forum.
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 11-06-14, 11:32 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have excellent reading comprehension...
Likes For headloss:
Old 11-07-14, 02:13 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All spot on except for the craft beer part. Europe has a vibrant and growing craft beer scene!
Old 11-07-14, 05:42 AM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
All spot on except for the craft beer part. Europe has a vibrant and growing craft beer scene!
That part was sarcasm, sorry.
Old 11-07-14, 09:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Cross-Check is a great bike for the money and extremely versatile. My problem is the geometry is all wrong for me. Like most Surlys, the top tube is too long and the head tube is too short for me. However, if you like to ride all stretched and low, it's a winner.
Old 11-07-14, 12:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
The Cross-Check is a great bike for the money and extremely versatile. My problem is the geometry is all wrong for me. Like most Surlys, the top tube is too long and the head tube is too short for me. However, if you like to ride all stretched and low, it's a winner.
Yeah, better to buy a size or two smaller than you usually use.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-14, 01:23 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
because my shopping preferences include keeping the money in house and reduced greenhouse emissions from shipping.
Considering the vast majority of us are in the States you've made a strong argument to buy a Surly or Soma or All City. I've had hand welded frames from Italy where the downtube braze ons were off by almost 1/2". Hand made is not always best.
Old 11-07-14, 01:28 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
For example, one is hand-welded in Germany, while the other is machine-welded in Taiwan.

Regardless of the keeping locals employed and keeping the money where it should stay arguments, I'd trust a hand-welded frame from southern Germany than a machine processed frame.

If you read my posts, I never claimed of the quality of the weld is/was better.

People around here really need reading comprehension lessons and/or need to be more objective.
Well you certainly did imply that the weld quality was better. At least thats how everyone on the planet besides you read it
Old 11-07-14, 05:21 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I have two Surlys and my CC is my favorite for commuting and day rides up to 100 miles. It is more nimble and the 700c tires seem to roll better than the 26’s on the LHT. I use my LHT for snow and ice (since I have Nokian Mount and Grounds for that bike) and any touring I do (which is not much).
Old 07-15-21, 05:50 PM
dae91n

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After all these years...yes!
Old 09-11-22, 04:54 PM
NICKSON

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought mine with my George Bush money from 2008. 14 years later, it has made many moves with me. It has allowed me to go on recovery rides with tri-athlete friends. It has allowed me to put a basket on the front and carry my daughter's stuffies. It has allowed me to take practically no care of it. I just put solid tubes on it since much of my riding is under 8mph and is constant circles on a school yard. I can put expensive parts on it and feel good, I can put cheap parts on it and feel good. Its the Mr. Potato Head of bikes. I just learned that my crank has seized to the bottom bracket. I am debating putting a mid-drive e-bike kit on it. If I don't like it, I will take it off. I have friends who bought task specific bikes, and when they want a slight change, they buy a new bike. Mine has blended in with the lycra crowd, the gravel crowd, and the cruiser crowd. It cant look like a BMX bike, that is the limit.

I like playing on my bike. I don't care about getting to a destination utilizing 5 fewer watt hours. It allows me to be a kid. I have wrecked at 20mph a few times. The bike is always fine, my face has some spots that sun burn a little faster than the rest, but the bike is fine. If my bike falls while leaning on a tree, I have no emotional reaction.
Likes For NICKSON:
Old 09-13-22, 10:15 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked

That's the Cross Check. Jack of all trades, master of nothing. .
Agree, capable of a lot of things but not good at any