Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 Pinarello Montello Cromovelato Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-22, 12:50 PM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 154 Posts

Going to build up my Pinarello Montello with an 11 speed Campy group of mainly Athena.

I’ve almost finished stripping it down and washed it, checking the condition of the paint. As most of you are aware, these cromovelato paint jobs are extremely fragile. Mine is in excellent condition but is still showing signs of age, lots of crazing and some cracks in the finish but overall really good. The decals are especially nice, another weak point for these finishes. I’ve come to believe the earlier frames had more quality issues than the later ones like mine.

My first decision is whether or not to apply PPF like I do on all my builds. If I don’t apply it, the finish will be susceptible to normal wear and tear, which could accelerate the breakdown of the finish. However, if I apply PPF, then the paint will be protected but I seriously doubt it could ever be removed without taking the finish with it.

Thoughts?
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 12-29-22, 01:43 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts
Nice looking bike.
Tell me about PPF and how it is applied?
Thanks,
By
Old 12-29-22, 01:59 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
It is a protection film applied to the front of your car or whatever. Expensive, what I have seen is starting at something like $1000 for the very front that usually get dinged up on a car to $6,000 for a total cover for a sports car.
That frame is so nice I would not do anything.

Last edited by easyupbug; 12-29-22 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 02:05 PM
BMC_Kid 

PPF or paint protection film is just a clear vinyl film. Generally, for simple surfaces like round tubes, it is laid down to a clean surface and then smoothed out to get good adhesion and remove any entrapped air. On really complicated surfaces, you can use a little heat and stretch it some. I’ve never used heat to apply it to my bike frames. I use a good quality 3M high gloss film with self healing properties. Most of the time I have to point out to someone it’s even on there.

Old 12-29-22, 02:09 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by easyupbug
It is a protection film applied to the front of your car or whatever. Expensive, what I have seen is starting at something like $1000 for the very front that usually get dinged up on a car to $6,000 for a total cover for a sports car.
It is actually not that hard to DIY on cars with a little practice. On bike frames, it’s even easier.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 12-29-22, 05:43 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Considering the "quick release" nature of old Chromovelato finishes, you would be wise to think twice about applying PPF to an old C&V frame that has it.I've seen cases of old PPF being removed that took off some paint on cars. Especially in areas of lower paint adhesion like on plastic bumpers caps. The paint over chrome condition on the Montello Chromovelato finished frame will present a similar condition.
Old 12-29-22, 05:50 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 930 Posts
I vote no PPF. Celebrate the ageing. Beausage, patina, etc. Nice paint jobs are nice, but weathering tells a story.

Just my opinion, whatever you choose to do will be correct.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 12-29-22, 05:58 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Considering the "quick release" nature of old Chromovelato finishes, you would be wise to think twice about applying PPF to an old C&V frame that has it.I've seen cases of old PPF being removed that took off some paint on cars. Especially in areas of lower paint adhesion like on plastic bumpers caps. The paint over chrome condition on the Montello Chromovelato finished frame will present a similar condition.
Correct, once installed, it’s almost guaranteed to remove the finish if I tried to remove it. However, I don’t plan on removing it and if it saves the paint from wear and tear, then it’s done it’s job for me. Having the film on there, the paint will be protected and at the same time, stabilized. After I am done with the bike, it’s someone else’s problem if they should want to remove it. At that time, they will have to respray it but then again, if I were to ride without it, the next guy will probably still have to respray it anyway once the finish fails due to wear and tear.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 12-29-22 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 09:39 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Be aware that some PPF does yellow and get brittle over time. Some brands quicker than other.I believe the latest versions of PPF are much better at resisting aging than the ones from some years ago. So try to use the latest and greatest stuff available.​​​​​​
I'm wondering if encapsulating the existing Chromavelato clear paint in a coat of modern clear paint instead, might be another viable solution.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Last edited by Chombi1; 12-29-22 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 10:15 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I have a mid 1980's Montello in white. My paint is in bad shape, has been for years. And it's been inside also. Although my Italian Stallion doesn't look like a racehorse any more, he still performs but I'm getting to the age where it's not very "safe" for me to ride the bike any more. I have to focus too hard because although a fast and quick-twitch bike, if I don't pay attention it will drop me in a second. I stick to my Wabi's for my daily rides and my Montello stays in the garage.

It's a shame too. It's full Campy with Campy rims, Delta brakes and even a Campy seatpost.
Old 12-29-22, 11:19 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Be aware that some PPF does yellow and get brittle over time. Some brands quicker than other.I believe the latest versions of PPF are much better at resisting aging than the ones from some years ago. So try to use the latest and greatest stuff available.​​​​​​
I'm wondering if encapsulating the existing Chromavelato clear paint in a coat of modern clear paint instead, might be another viable solution.
The PPF that I use is the latest and greatest. I’m not new at using PPF and is the same that I installed on my vehicles, 3M Pro series. It is self-healing and has a 10 year warranty against yellowing and cracking. If I were to spray a clear coat, I don’t think it’s something that I would personally take on myself and I don’t have the time to send the frame out and it would cost way more than PPF on a frame that would be an occasional ride a few times a year.

I’ve decided that I’m going to build it up without PPF for the time being.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 12-29-22 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-11-23, 05:26 PM
BMC_Kid 

Finally was able to finish building up my Montello. Originally was going to be mainly Athena 11 speed but forgot to ship the rear derailleur and shifters before I left for home for the holidays. So, it’s a mix of 11 speed Athena (brakes/front derailleur), Centaur (shifters), Chorus (rear derailleur), and a CX11 compact crankset that I have no idea which group it belongs to, however, looks just like the Athena 11 I have, both of which utilize PowerTorque bottom brackets. For the wheels, I am using the wheels I built up for my Zullo.

To them, I mounted a set of Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR tubeless in 28mm. These are very comfy and supposedly very puncture resistant, perfect for around the city. I am going to build up a nice set of lightweight wheels for faster rides. As they are, they are very comfortable riding if not a bit slow accelerating. Being that I have mainly been riding 25mm Continentals, this set are the second set for me, the first being a set of 28mm Continental GP 5000s I recently installed on my Quattro Assi. Overall, I am happy with the way they ride, adding a level of plushness, even over 25s but at a cost of responsiveness. YMMV…

I went out on a 30 mile ride and the Montello itself handles very nicely, a bit less responsive than my Zullo but very similar as one would expect of two frames built of the same SLX tubing and similar geometry. My Zullo has the full 11 speed Athena except for the Centaur UltraTorque crankset, and the mix of 11 speed Campy on my Montello shifts and brakes just as nicely.

It took me 10 years but I’m glad I finally bit the bullet and got it done. I’ll get some better photos of the bike tomorrow. Today was very overcast but will be nice and sunny tomorrow.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 07-18-23 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 05:32 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Finally was able to finish building up my Montello. Originally was going to be mainly Athena 11 speed but forgot to ship the rear derailleur and shifters before I left for home for the holidays. So, it’s a mix of 11 speed Athena (brakes/front derailleur), Centaur (shifters), Chorus (rear derailleur), and a CX11 compact crankset that I have no idea which group it belongs to, however, looks just like the Athena 11 I have, both of which utilize PowerTorque bottom brackets. For the wheels, I am using the wheels I built up for my Zullo. To them, I mounted a set of Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR tubeless in 28mm. These are very comfy and supposedly very puncture resistant, perfect for around the city. I am going to build up a nice set of lightweight wheels for faster rides. As there are, they are very comfortable riding if not a bit slow accelerating. Being that I have mainly been riding 25mm Continentals, this set are the second set for me, the first being a set of 28mm Continental GP 5000s I recently installed on my Quattro Assi. Overall, I am happy with the way they ride, adding a level of plushness, even over 25s but at a cost of responsiveness. YMMV…

I went out on a 20 mile ride and the Montello itself handles very nicely, a bit less responsive than my Zullo but very similar as one would expect of two frames built of the same SLX tubing and similar geometry. My Zullo has the full 11 speed Athena except for the Centaur UltraTorque crankset, and the mix of 11 speed Campy on my Montello shifts and brakes just as nicely.

It took me 10 years but I’m glad I finally bit the bullet and got it done. I’ll get some better photos of the bike tomorrow. Today was very overcast but will be nice and sunny tomorrow.
Oof, that this nice... GREAT work. I just went tubeless on my vintage Tommasini too. No regrets...
Old 01-11-23, 05:45 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Finally was able to finish building up my Montello. Originally was going to be mainly Athena 11 speed but forgot to ship the rear derailleur and shifters before I left for home for the holidays. So, it’s a mix of 11 speed Athena (brakes/front derailleur), Centaur (shifters), Chorus (rear derailleur), and a CX11 compact crankset that I have no idea which group it belongs to, however, looks just like the Athena 11 I have, both of which utilize PowerTorque bottom brackets. For the wheels, I am using the wheels I built up for my Zullo. To them, I mounted a set of Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR tubeless in 28mm. These are very comfy and supposedly very puncture resistant, perfect for around the city. I am going to build up a nice set of lightweight wheels for faster rides. As there are, they are very comfortable riding if not a bit slow accelerating. Being that I have mainly been riding 25mm Continentals, this set are the second set for me, the first being a set of 28mm Continental GP 5000s I recently installed on my Quattro Assi. Overall, I am happy with the way they ride, adding a level of plushness, even over 25s but at a cost of responsiveness. YMMV…

I went out on a 20 mile ride and the Montello itself handles very nicely, a bit less responsive than my Zullo but very similar as one would expect of two frames built of the same SLX tubing and similar geometry. My Zullo has the full 11 speed Athena except for the Centaur UltraTorque crankset, and the mix of 11 speed Campy on my Montello shifts and brakes just as nicely.

Nice build. I put eleven speed Chorus on my Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra. No regrets.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-12-23, 07:53 PM
BMC_Kid 

Took my Specialized Team out today to compare riding qualities. Same SLX tubing but more aggressive geometry. Limited gearing compared to 11 speed Campy but not needed on today’s ride which was rolling hills. The 28mm tires on the Pinarello add a lot of cushiness to the ride for sure but take away from responsiveness. With the more aggressive geometry on the Specialized, it is hard to determine how much of it’s responsiveness is due to the 25mm tires or geometry. I’ve got a nice set of NOS Record hubs I am going to build up for my 11 speed Campy bikes. I might move back down to 25mm tires on the build, or even 23s for fast rides.