Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shortening a steel steerer-tube: Why not use a pipe-cutter?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-07-23, 03:39 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

I've used a pipe-cutter tool for shortening a steel seatpost. It makes a perfect cut, with minimal effort, and relatively quickly. Why then does every instruction I've read call for using a hacksaw-and-guide when shortening a fork steerer tube? I had my LBS shorten the steerer tube on a new steel fork and they too used the saw-and-guide. It seems to be unanimous. Why is that, when an inexpensive pipe-cutter tool is so much quicker, easier and gives a consistently perfect result?
Old 02-07-23, 03:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
While we wait for someone who knows the answer, I'll speculate a bit.

1. A steel steerer is probably harder than copper pipe, so if you're cutting a bunch of steerers (like a shop or production facility) you're running up tool costs.

2. Ever start to cut a pipe and don't have it lined up quite right? How would you like to do that spiral cut thing with a fork?
Old 02-07-23, 03:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'd go for #1 of what @pdlamb said. Along with the fact that many people probably don't have a pipe cutter and if they do, then it won't cut something the size of a steerer tube. However I have one that will cut over 4" diameter pipe along with 3 or 4 pipe cutters in various smaller sizes.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-23, 04:05 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
There's also the mushrooming effect, which anybody who's cut a handlebar then tried to slide the grips on will be familiar with: a pipe cutter tends to push the metal away on both sides of the cut, making the diameter a smidge larger. I solve this with a file after cutting a bar, I don't know how much work that would be on a steerer.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-07-23, 04:17 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
They are technically called roll cutters, or specifically "displacement cutters" and for a reason. When they "cut", the wheel just "smooshes" the material out of the way until it breaks in two leaving a flaired mushroom end on the outside and a huge burr on the inside. Much filing/reaming inside and out required for a close tolerance stem insertion. Really is meant for actual gas pipe, not chromo or high end light weight high strength steel.
I see I was typing way too slow, Joe.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 02-07-23, 04:20 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
There's also the mushrooming effect, which anybody who's cut a handlebar then tried to slide the grips on will be familiar with: a pipe cutter tends to push the metal away on both sides of the cut, making the diameter a smidge larger. I solve this with a file after cutting a bar, I don't know how much work that would be on a steerer.
+1. Steel steerers require a good file or lots of work and patience with some sandpaper or dremel etc. to take off the flair but can be done Aluminum is a bit easier. Also take your time with the tube cutter doing more gradual tightening for each rotation than you would with softer metal tubes. Had to do this on my current bike. At least it makes a clean, square cut easier than most methods.
Old 02-07-23, 04:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
If you have a pipe cutter big enough, there is no reason you can’t use it, as long as you file the edges (as someone else mentioned, you get some mushrooming). Its not a big deal to clean up the edges. I doubt I have ever spent more than a minute or two doing it.

Before I got a saw guide, I liked using a pipe cutter because it gave me a straighter cut.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-07-23 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-07-23, 06:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
My first rule of good mechanical work is to use the simplest tool for the job.

For cutting bars, stems and seatposts, that would be a hacksaw.

A simple guide can be made with one or two hose clamps.

The case against pipe cutters is simple,it's the wrong tool for the job.

1 in the size range needed it's costlier than a saw.

2 pipe cutters are for soft materials that flow easily. Heat treated steels and aluminum alloys aren't.

3 pipe cutters roll a large burr to the inside, and raise a smaller one on the OD, so there's more clean up work needed.

4 with a modicum of skill, a saw raises a small burr which files off easily.

FWIW pro bike mechanics used hacksaws for a century, but as culture evolved, folks started doing more DIY, and eventually word got out that it was easier to buy a pipe cutter than to learn to cut straight with a saw.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-07-23, 06:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I assume the reason someone would consider using a pipe cutter is because they already had one. If you already have one, it is cheaper than two hose clamps.

The important thing is to pick the method that works best for you, and then be a d!ck about it.
Old 02-07-23, 06:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
The bigger question is will you have enough threads left when you are done cutting, how ever you do it?

Old 02-07-23, 07:59 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
The bigger question is will you have enough threads left when you are done cutting, how ever you do it?
Surely it's a threadless steerer tube.
Old 02-07-23, 08:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Steel steerers require a good file or lots of work and patience with some sandpaper or dremel etc. to take off the flair but can be done
Or a few seconds with a bench grinder to chamfer the end.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-07-23, 08:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Originally Posted by well biked
I guess I am way to C&V

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-07-23, 08:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
1. A steel steerer is probably harder than copper pipe, so if you're cutting a bunch of steerers (like a shop or production facility) you're running up tool costs.
plumbers have been cutting galvanized and black gas steel pipe with pipe cutters forever. mechanics steel brake, fuel, and cooler lines as well.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-07-23, 09:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
How many uncut steel threadless steerers can there be? Almost all of them are on cheap complete bikes. And people who buy surly frames never cut the steerer
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-07-23, 09:25 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
How many uncut steel threadless steerers can there be? Almost all of them are on cheap complete bikes. And people who buy surly frames never cut the steerer
I'm having a hard time fully interpreting your post, please elaborate.
Old 02-07-23, 09:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
What?? There are plenty of bike made with threadless steel steerers. I just finished making a bike with one. Left it long to double check the fit set up before I consider cutting it a second time to a final length. I used a hack saw and a bit of masking tape as a visual guide to keep it close to square before I used both a belt sander and a rat tail file to finish it off with. Andy
Old 02-07-23, 09:51 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I have a saw and a park guide and a pipe cutter big enough for steer tubes, I generally use the pipe cutter and a file to cut steerers.
Old 02-07-23, 10:12 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
I've cut a couple of steel steerers with a pipecutter.

Lived to tell about it
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-07-23, 10:16 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I love how quickly this thread sailed off a cliff. I'm usually in the Folding Bikes section and this one is new to me..so far it's pretty funny!
Old 02-08-23, 12:08 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
It takes less than a minute to cut a steel steerer with a $1 hack saw blade. What's to debate?

The only cutting guide you need is the stem you already own and aluminum spacer.

Last edited by Kontact; 02-08-23 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-08-23, 05:33 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I love how quickly this thread sailed off a cliff. I'm usually in the Folding Bikes section and this one is new to me..so far it's pretty funny!
And this thread is pretty mild.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 02-08-23, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
plumbers have been cutting galvanized and black gas steel pipe with pipe cutters forever. mechanics steel brake, fuel, and cooler lines as well.
But I'd imagine black steel pipe pipe for plumbing is a lower grade steel that cuts easier than the better grade steel in a steerer tube. And better grade steel probably shortens the life of the cutting wheel, though they are inexpensive and easy to replace on most.

I have cut some better steel tube that was thinner than plumbing iron pipe with a pipe cutter, they didn't mushroom out externally. However they did roll in a pronounced inverted flare toward the inside of the tube that would have been a real pain to remove evenly if I had to put something inside them like a expander plug.

Good catch for the member that ask about threads. I doubt one could easily make a pipe cutter work on a threaded steerer tube.
Old 02-08-23, 10:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm having a hard time fully interpreting your post, please elaborate.
My strong impression is that most people who stick together steel frames for a living or hobby are doing threaded headsets for aesthetic reasons, or using carbon or MTB forks.

Factory forks come uncut but steel ones are now vastly outnumbered.

So I figure while one guy might do it a lot, most aren't much.

And finally the Surly LHT and Cross Check were long well known for having very long top tubes (10mm longer than the seat tube) that resulted in a stack of spacers topped with a riser stem.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-08-23, 10:52 AM
well biked

My strong impression is that most people who stick together steel frames for a living or hobby are doing threaded headsets for aesthetic reasons, or using carbon or MTB forks.

Factory forks come uncut but steel ones are now vastly outnumbered.

So I figure while one guy might do it a lot, most aren't much.

And finally the Surly LHT and Cross Check were long well known for having very long top tubes (10mm longer than the seat tube) that resulted in a stack of spacers topped with a riser stem.
We sell a lot of modern, mass produced bikes at my shop (with Surlys being a mainstay in that category) that have steel forks, and almost all of them have threadless steerer tubes and we cut the steerer tubes on almost all of them. One of the main purposes of threadless steerers is that the manufacturer can produce one steerer tube length for all frame sizes of a certain model bike. So on all but the largest frame sizes, the steerer will need to be cut accordingly, unless a customer has a specific request.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.