Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

avid cps bolts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

avid cps bolts

Old 02-03-23, 07:36 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
avid cps bolts

Any tips for loosen really stuck AVid bb5 cps bolts? I cannot get them to loosen. Yes I am turning the right way; my mini wrench makes it impossible to do it wrong, lol. I'm not very strong (old lady) but I do have a mini ratchet wrench which usually gives me plenty of leverage. I can't loosen these suckers up. I'm concerned about putting anything like a penetrating oil near brakes. Any help? I was thinking about upgrading calipers to BB7 but I'm going to need to pull the bracket off the BB5s so these bolts have to open - plus it's supposedly necessary to just adjust them properly.
Old 02-03-23, 09:04 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you're worried about the penetrating oil ruining brake pads or rotors, you could always remove the wheels and brake pads before you apply the oil.
Old 02-03-23, 09:20 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
If you're worried about the penetrating oil ruining brake pads or rotors, you could always remove the wheels and brake pads before you apply the oil.
I guess I wasn't sure if it was even safe to use it on them. I will take the caliper off the wheel and apply some and let it sit, then remount to the mount bracket so it's held in place and try again. Assuming I finally get them to turn, I'll clean them with a little degreaser and then maybe apply a tiny bit of bike grease to avoid them seizing up in the future. Does that make sense? Not a super mechanical person here, just trying to do stuff myself. thx.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-03-23, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Yes your attempt makes sense, hope it works for you.

I do strongly suggest getting "L" hex wrenches and put the multi tool in the bike bag for on the trail/road use. Don't use a ball end to try to loosen a tight bolt, use the full fitting straight end.

Many OEM caliper mounting bolts have a bit of a thread locker to insure the bolts don't self loosen. This is one reason why I dislike thread lockers for my personal bikes. Andy
Old 02-03-23, 09:47 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
use a blow dryer on the area. heat works the corrosion loose and softens the loctite on the threads.
Old 02-03-23, 10:25 PM
linberl

loctite.......ahh that explains it, lol. I'll get the hair dryer and see if that works. Totally makes sense that would be the issue - there is no rust on them. They're not that old and look brand new. loctite, grrrr..... Thank you, knowing that may save some of my grey cells.