Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Change recessed calipers to nut mounted

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 06:24 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Hi,

title says it all really, but I would like to more generally know ,if it is possible to just change any (within reason) recessed bolt-type calipper to a nut mounted version.
I would presume, one has to dissassemble a brake calipper and just change the screw?

BR
P!
Old 02-04-23, 08:53 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
The mounting bolt on the front caliper is generally long enough to work as a nutted rear caliper. You'll need to source a longer mounting to replace the former rear caliper to mount it on the front. You also want a couple shouldered washes to fit in the recesses of the fork crown and brake bridge, like these:

https://www.rivbike.com/products/nylon-brake-insert
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-04-23, 09:16 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
This summarizes other options, including how to make a nutted frame into a recessed type, and just modifying the fork and swapping front and back calipers (remember to swap pad locations if you do):

https://sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html

A modification of the questionable swap suggestion by Sheldon to use recessed nut inside the crown would be to use a threaded standoff instead inside the fork crown and then a bolt in from the back of the crown to tighten it down. You would just hand tighten the standoff onto the caliper threads by holding it with pliers and rotating the brake, then put a wrench on the standoff and tightening a bolt from the rear until there's tension between the caliper and the bolt. Reverse to disassemble.

Of course, all the parts would have to fit just so to work, so it depends on the fork crown.
Old 02-04-23, 09:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I did a variation on this, using a pair of older nutted calipers on a frame made for recessed nuts. I had obtained a new frame designed for recessed nuts and had an older pair of long reach 105 DP nutted brakes I wanted to use. The frame and fork were both steel so the fork crown was narrow enough to work. Many newer carbon forks have crown too thick to have been usable.

I made "reducer bushings" for both the fork crown and rear brake bridge out of short recessed nuts by drilling out the internal threads with a 1/4" drill bit to clear the 6mm brake mounting bolts.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-04-23, 09:49 AM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
This summarizes other options, including how to make a nutted frame into a recessed type, and just modifying the fork and swapping front and back calipers (remember to swap pad locations if you do):

https://sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html

A modification of the questionable swap suggestion by Sheldon to use recessed nut inside the crown would be to use a threaded standoff instead inside the fork crown and then a bolt in from the back of the crown to tighten it down. You would just hand tighten the standoff onto the caliper threads by holding it with pliers and rotating the brake, then put a wrench on the standoff and tightening a bolt from the rear until there's tension between the caliper and the bolt. Reverse to disassemble.

Of course, all the parts would have to fit just so to work, so it depends on the fork crown.
Be careful to select standoffs that are strong enough for this kind of use. I have used some on trophies that were of a cast material that I would never trust on something as critical as a front brake.
Old 02-04-23, 09:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Why would anyone want to do this?
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-04-23, 10:09 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Why would anyone want to do this?
Ummm. To paraphrase Pascal, "The heart has its reasons that know no reason?"

If you wanted this to work I think you could use a nut with a shoulder if you had a long enough bolt. Picture below. Even better? A spacer and a regular nylock nut, to keep the nut tension constant.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 02-04-23 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 10:10 AM
Positron400

I think I might've not properly explained what I would have liked to know. Allow me to clarify: The purpose of my question was not to modify a frame to accepted nutted calipers, but modify recessed calipers with a different nutted screw to make them fit on older type frames which were not built for recessed mounting.
Old 02-04-23, 10:15 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Positron400
I think I might've not properly explained what I would have liked to know. Allow me to clarify: The purpose of my question was not to modify a frame to accepted nutted calipers, but modify recessed calipers with a different nutted screw to make them fit on older type frames which were not built for recessed mounting.
Understood. The other methods offered were just because you might not be able to do what you wish or realize that there are alternatives.

My last suggestion was an alternate way to modify the calipers and leave the frame intact.
Old 02-04-23, 10:17 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Ummm. To paraphrase Pascal, "The heart has its reasons that know no reason?"

If you wanted this to work I think you could use a nut with a shoulder if you had a long enough bolt. Picture below. Even better? A spacer and a regular nylock nut, to keep the nut tension constant.

How would these work without drilling the frame and fork? Or, how are they different than the usual recessed nut?
Old 02-04-23, 10:20 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Yes, I have done that a few times. Here I exchanged a common bolt on these RX 100 calipers.
Old 02-04-23, 10:59 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
How would these work without drilling the frame and fork? Or, how are they different than the usual recessed nut?
So the current brake lever has a recess for the head of the bolt. Probably a socket head (allen wrench) bolt. If one wants to reverse directions of the bolt and nut so that a nut goes into the recess, one can
1) Put a long bolt through the frame in the opposite direction of the original bolt. This essentially leaves a stud sticking out of the frame. Put the bolt levers, spacers, and washers on as originally constructed. One is then left with a need for a nut that fits in the recess. One could use a socket head nut, but this would require some pretty exact setup of the bolt length. Or, one could use a nut like I pictured. The shoulder goes into the recess leaving the nut hex exposed for tightening.

I would add that I don't recommend this as the original design using a socket head cap screw (SCHS, aka an allen bolt) is probably stronger than the modified setup.

Going back to a question asked earlier, why is this change being contemplated?
Old 02-04-23, 11:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I recognized your request. I just added a way to do the opposite. BTW, you could modify your frame to accept recessed mount calipers rather easily. Lots of threads here on doing this.
Old 02-04-23, 11:05 AM
Positron400

Because I ride a frame that does not accept recessed mounting, and comes with side-pull Weinmanns, i would like to switch out for double-pivot style calipers. However, my choice of nutted options is severly limited (barely any). Thus my inquiry.
Old 02-04-23, 11:15 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I took the bolt off a Tektro 556, for the RX 100 rebuild.
Old 02-04-23, 11:47 AM
Kontact 

So the current brake lever has a recess for the head of the bolt. Probably a socket head (allen wrench) bolt. If one wants to reverse directions of the bolt and nut so that a nut goes into the recess, one can
1) Put a long bolt through the frame in the opposite direction of the original bolt. This essentially leaves a stud sticking out of the frame. Put the bolt levers, spacers, and washers on as originally constructed. One is then left with a need for a nut that fits in the recess. One could use a socket head nut, but this would require some pretty exact setup of the bolt length. Or, one could use a nut like I pictured. The shoulder goes into the recess leaving the nut hex exposed for tightening.

I would add that I don't recommend this as the original design using a socket head cap screw (SCHS, aka an allen bolt) is probably stronger than the modified setup.

Assuming that you didn't mean "brake lever", I'm still not following how you would use these nuts in frame holes that are no larger than the bolt diameter.. Which "recess" are you talking about?
Old 02-04-23, 11:50 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I took the bolt off a Tektro 556, for the RX 100 rebuild.
If your RX100 is dual pivot, that should be pretty easy to replace. The tougher problem is a replacement bolt/pivot for a single pivot brake caliper.
Old 02-04-23, 11:55 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Because I ride a frame that does not accept recessed mounting, and comes with side-pull Weinmanns, i would like to switch out for double-pivot style calipers. However, my choice of nutted options is severly limited (barely any). Thus my inquiry.
Tektro makes a variety of nutted dual pivot brakes. I'm not sure of the model numbers but if you keep looking online or on eBay they pop up at decent prices. There are also replacment nutted brake bolts that can be retrofitted to dual pivot Tektro brakes.
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-05-23, 10:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
unless the frame a super special unicorn, it is super easy to put recessed dual pivot on the frame. the sheldon link above show how

steps are
1) enlarge the rear brake hole in the fork (I use drill and you just little bit of shavings, I say enlarge rather than drill out so people don't freak. use could do it with a small file, but the drill is faster.
2) take the rear brake from new set and use it in front with a long enough recessed bolt (easy get these)
3) put the front brake on tha back with nut

done and start enjoying the increase braking power

Old 02-05-23, 11:47 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Tektro makes a variety of nutted dual pivot brakes. I'm not sure of the model numbers but if you keep looking online or on eBay they pop up at decent prices. There are also replacment nutted brake bolts that can be retrofitted to dual pivot Tektro brakes.
Tektro R539 is the mid reach version with nutted mount:

I don't see why anyone needs to be drilling out forks when these bolt on calipers are readily available.

If you want to convert your existing Shimano dual pivot brakes to nutted, there is the JTEK conversion bolt:
Jtek Tektro / Shimano pattern 70mm Dual Pivot Brake Bolt
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-07-23, 12:39 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Clarification noted.

Just wanted to point out anyway that old-style nutted calipers can be used with a recessed-nut fork (if the bolt is long enough), by using a bushing made from tubing with a 6mm inside diameter and a 8mm outside diameter, cut long enough to be just barely shy of protruding from the fork before the nut goes on.
Old 02-08-23, 09:55 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
If you can't find a suitable nutted donor, you can get this adapter made by JTek Engineering:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/j...rsion/?geoc=CA

I used this product to mount a pair of Centaur 11-speed dual pivot calipers on my treasured 1987 vintage Cyclops. The braking improvement over the original Record side-pulls is very impressive, and I didn't even scratch the paint on the frame, let alone drill or ream anything.

Research at the time suggested that the adapter would fit Dia-Compe and Taiwan-made Campagnolo dual pivot brakes. I can confirm that to be true by direct experiment. I think Tektro is making just about every dual pivot side-pull out there, including Shimano and Campagnolo.

Don't forget to swap the brake shoes when you pull the front-back caliper switch.
Old 02-09-23, 12:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26386 Post(s)
Liked 10,364 Times in 7,196 Posts

...I have done this a couple of times. Those Tektro brakes work about as well as any other of the many dual pivot sidepull rim brakes. They come in the nutted version, like you see in a post above. And it's easy to remove the lettering with a little acetone, because it's just stenciled on there. If you don't already have a set of brakes, buying those is about your easiest and cheapest option. There are a lot of upgrades that are questionable. But dual pivot sidepull brakes, as an upgrade from single pivot, is not one of them.
Old 02-09-23, 03:00 AM
ign1te

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Hi,

title says it all really, but I would like to more generally know ,if it is possible to just change any (within reason) recessed bolt-type calipper to a nut mounted version.
I would presume, one has to dissassemble a brake calipper and just change the screw?

BR
P!
Here is a classic hex nut example that I use myself. Only front version available. Buy a metric treading tool to convert the front into a rear one.

Dia Compe dual pivot front

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...500818021Dt68b