Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wiping chain using Rock & Roll Gold

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wiping chain using Rock & Roll Gold

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 12:31 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Wiping chain using Rock 'N Roll Gold

The instructions say after shaking it to drench the chain specifically saying you shouldn't judiciously apply it to each roller. Then make a big point of telling you after drenching it to wipe it all off, that it's impossible to overdo wiping it all off.

I get that you don't want to attract abrasive dirt but if you wipe it absolutely dry doesn't this remove corrosion protection and lubrication from the parts of the chain that contact the gear teeth?

They say it cleans as well as lubricates but I always give the chain a good scrubbing with multiple hits with an expensive Park Tool chain scrubber first - typically four fresh loads of degreaser solution and a thorough rinsing. I'm not depending on the lube as part of the cleaning process.

Is this a ruse to sell more lube or is there a good reason for obsessively removing lube after telling you to drench it with lube?

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 02-07-23 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-07-23, 12:50 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I found this quote from a review:

[ Wipe the side plates, rollers and jockey wheels surgically clean before curing, otherwise it'll develop a gungy, grimy patina – much less than wet types in the same contexts, but it still defeats the object. ]

My impression from this statement is you'd have to really scrub to get the thin coating off, meaning anything short of that is standard "wiping off" and you shouldn't be shy about it. But that's just a guess based on the review.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-07-23, 03:28 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Whatever you just described is exactly what I still occasionally do with motor oil. It's not my preferred lube but I have plenty of it laying around and sometimes I just get lazy.

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Is this a ruse to sell more lube or is there a good reason for obsessively removing lube after telling you to drench it with lube?
Well, you want to put enough on so the entire chain is well covered but you want to remove enough of it so that it has the ideal properties when riding. I think this would be true with any lube.

For me, I do it because it's easier to just put a bunch of one lube on and then wipe off, rather than mess with different containers of different solvents, lubes, etc. I only do this with motor oil and some other thinner lubes.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 02-07-23, 04:20 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
I do not use that product, but why would you put all that oil on the chain just to wipe it off. I clean the chain, let it dry, then 1 drop of oil on each roller, then run the chain through a hand held rag to remove excess. Most of the time, after a ride, with the chain left on the bike, I hold a rag on the chain and spin the cranks a couple revolutions to wipe it down. My chains last a lot of miles. IMO, the plates do not need the lube, the rollers do.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-07-23, 08:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
The instructions say after shaking it to drench the chain specifically saying you shouldn't judiciously apply it to each roller. Then make a big point of telling you after drenching it to wipe it all off, that it's impossible to overdo wiping it all off.

I get that you don't want to attract abrasive dirt but if you wipe it absolutely dry doesn't this remove corrosion protection and lubrication from the parts of the chain that contact the gear teeth?
The moving parts of a chain are not the ones you can wipe off. Inside the side plates and the insides of the rollers are where you need the lube. You can't wipe those off because you can't get to them (as long as you leave the chain assembled).

Corrosion protection? Shortly after I started using R&R, I went for a morning ride after an overnight rain while the roads were still wet. The next day I had surface rust on my chain. So like other dry lubes, I figure it means you only want to ride on dry roads after using the stuff on your chain; and of course chain ring tattoos are much less noticeable.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-07-23, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've used it for years, years ago.

You have to really use a lot, it acts as a solvent to free particles inside the pins, rollers, bushings, etc. Not a cheap product to use as directed but it is my favorite after hot dip wax.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-07-23, 09:24 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The moving parts of a chain are not the ones you can wipe off. Inside the side plates and the insides of the rollers are where you need the lube. You can't wipe those off because you can't get to them (as long as you leave the chain assembled).

Corrosion protection? Shortly after I started using R&R, I went for a morning ride after an overnight rain while the roads were still wet. The next day I had surface rust on my chain. So like other dry lubes, I figure it means you only want to ride on dry roads after using the stuff on your chain; and of course chain ring tattoos are much less noticeable.
yes rain is its biggest enemy. I am trying this to see how it holds up to rain so far we have not had any rain. but it seems a bit cleaner then rock and roll.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-07-23, 10:03 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
I use R&R Holy Cow - which is prob very similar to R&R Gold ... R&R Gold might be a slightly better lubricant for some uses (?) ...

when you wipe it off the chain, the lubricant / residue will still remain on the chain

it cleans crap and junk from the chain as it’s applied (can make a mess) - and then keeps the chain well lubricated and relatively clean ... almost dry to the touch ... (R&R Gold might differ - might be ‘stickier’ or ‘wetter’ ?

for me it has been a great chain lube and a game changer - one of and probably the best bike related products I’ve recently used
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-07-23, 10:29 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I do not use that product, but why would you put all that oil on the chain just to wipe it off. I clean the chain, let it dry, then 1 drop of oil on each roller, then run the chain through a hand held rag to remove excess. Most of the time, after a ride, with the chain left on the bike, I hold a rag on the chain and spin the cranks a couple revolutions to wipe it down. My chains last a lot of miles. IMO, the plates do not need the lube, the rollers do.
why because that is how is is designed and that is the instruction on the bottle. it is not oil. It is more solvent/teflon mix

why comment if you don't use or about a product?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-07-23, 11:13 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Originally Posted by squirtdad
why because that is how is is designed and that is the instruction on the bottle. it is not oil. It is more solvent/teflon mix

why comment if you don't use or about a product?
Why question why I post? Are you the designated post policeman for the day.? If you are, do I have to get your permission to post? I am a paying member, I post when I wish to, with content that I wish to post. It is that simple. I am pretty sure, if the moderators have a problem with my posts, they will let me know. Actually, I know from experience that they will. There are already enough seemingly perfect posters, I do not care to be one. Thank you for posting your concern. Perhaps I should be added to your ignore list.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-07-23, 11:47 AM
MyRedTrek

It's not obvious to me but there might be a factor that I'm not aware of - maybe some property of this lube? - ergo the motivation for my question.
Old 02-07-23, 11:56 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by squirtdad
it is not oil. It is more solvent/teflon mix
Ah - so that's what the white material is that settles at the bottom.
Old 02-07-23, 11:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

It's not obvious to me but there might be a factor that I'm not aware of - maybe some property of this lube? - ergo the motivation for my question.
I was not questioning you. I understand why you made the post you did. The instructions made no sense to me. In an above post, I was informed that I was un-informed, and questioned why I posted. What I have to say regarding that has been posted. I am sure you will figure out the how and what of chain lubrication that works best for you.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-07-23, 12:40 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You have to really use a lot, it acts as a solvent to free particles inside the pins, rollers, bushings, etc. Not a cheap product to use as directed
Reminds me of an experiment I did not too long ago: I filled one of those Park Cylone Chain Scrubber tools with Pro Gold Prolink chain lube instad of going through the usual routine of clean/degrease, then dry, then [insert any number of intermediate steps], then lubricate judiciously with carefully controlled single-drop applications to the rollers only with chain lube... It was a completely ostentatious (mis-)use of the product.

It also took freakin' forever to wipe the chain down afterwards to the point where it wasn't spraying chain lube every which way with every pedal stroke and leaving oily grease marks on anything that came within 18" of the drivetrain.

But man did that chain come out spotless, and run smoothly and silently!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 02-07-23, 02:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by t2p
I use R&R Holy Cow - which is prob very similar to R&R Gold ... R&R Gold might be a slightly better lubricant for some uses (?) ...

when you wipe it off the chain, the lubricant / residue will still remain on the chain

it cleans crap and junk from the chain as it’s applied (can make a mess) - and then keeps the chain well lubricated and relatively clean ... almost dry to the touch ... (R&R Gold might differ - might be ‘stickier’ or ‘wetter’ ?

for me it has been a great chain lube and a game changer - one of and probably the best bike related products I’ve recently used
the problem with holy cow is that you need to use it in a warm area I have no such thing in winter.
Old 02-07-23, 03:46 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post
I was not questioning you. I understand why you made the post you did. The instructions made no sense to me. In an above post, I was informed that I was un-informed, and questioned why I posted. What I have to say regarding that has been posted. I am sure you will figure out the how and what of chain lubrication that works best for you.
I think you and I were in the same place - *why* does it need to be slobbered on like that only to be wiped off?
Old 02-07-23, 04:37 PM
redshift1

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I think you and I were in the same place - *why* does it need to be slobbered on like that only to be wiped off?
I used R and R Gold for the first time recently.

I didn't think much of the instructions either because it left me in doubt as to whether the usual pre-cleaning was still necessary or was not necessary as the product says it cleans as well.

If the latter, I imagine the rationale is : you saturate the dirty chain, the solvents run through the rollers and link plates and pick up the debris. transferring it to the outside, then you wipe off the excess product together with the debris. Or that's the theory I expect.

Be great if it was this simple but I doubt this can clean a chain properly. At least not without using a bottle of chain lube per application...

It simply is not stated anywhere that I've seen that by following this product's instructions, you can omit the previously done chain cleaning.

1/10 for the instructions, 10/10 for the product.

p.s. I pre-clean.

Last edited by redshift1; 02-07-23 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 02-07-23, 05:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Is this a ruse to sell more lube
Yes.

​​​​​​​
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-07-23, 05:48 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by t2p

the problem with holy cow is that you need to use it in a warm area I have no such thing in winter.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-07-23, 10:51 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Same experience here: vast patches of rust after first rain, translating, in my book, to useless junk. I do not stop riding because of rain and rains are an everyday occurrence in our area. There was no follow-up use of R&R. To quote from the label: "The King of Lubes" *Extreme* Rain, slop & dust. This stuff is a must. When the going gets tough, etc. Well, just junk.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 02-08-23, 08:51 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Rock n Roll Gold is my favorite chain lube. I use other lubes for different occasions, like if I know it's going to be rainy for several days, but it's generally pretty dry in Denver CO. I made a video a few years ago when I was testing some different chain lubes to see how long they last, so I'll share it here. It doesn't take long at all to apply and wipe off, plus it keeps your chain relatively clean. At least that's been my experience...
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 02-11-23, 07:47 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Reminds me of an experiment I did not too long ago: I filled one of those Park Cylone Chain Scrubber tools with Pro Gold Prolink chain lube instad of going through the usual routine of clean/degrease, then dry, then [insert any number of intermediate steps], then lubricate judiciously with carefully controlled single-drop applications to the rollers only with chain lube... It was a completely ostentatious (mis-)use of the product.

It also took freakin' forever to wipe the chain down afterwards to the point where it wasn't spraying chain lube every which way with every pedal stroke and leaving oily grease marks on anything that came within 18" of the drivetrain.

But man did that chain come out spotless, and run smoothly and silently!
Just for grins I'm going to give that a try with the Prolink and one or two varieties of the Rock 'N Roll. They're actually not crazy expensive if you buy the larger bottles. I'll start with a clean-scrubbed chain first instead of depending on the lube to do the cleaning.
Old 02-12-23, 11:16 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4395 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
People seem to not understand how lubes work:

If you want a wet weather lube, use thicker oil. Not dry lube.

If you want high performance, buy a high performance lube and apply it as instructed.

If you know better than the lube manufacturer does about how lubrication works, make you own lube.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-12-23, 12:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by 2_i
Same experience here: vast patches of rust after first rain, translating, in my book, to useless junk. I do not stop riding because of rain and rains are an everyday occurrence in our area. There was no follow-up use of R&R. To quote from the label: "The King of Lubes" *Extreme* Rain, slop & dust. This stuff is a must. When the going gets tough, etc. Well, just junk.
and yet boeshield t-9 is supposed to be great I the rain and it does last a little longer I the rain but not much. You Just cant get a clean lube that works I the rain. so you either apply it after each rain or use a wet lube that makes a messy drive train. rock and roll is easy to reapply and even in the rain does not make much of a mess. life is full of compromises.
Old 02-12-23, 01:45 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
and yet boeshield t-9 is supposed to be great I the rain and it does last a little longer I the rain but not much. You Just cant get a clean lube that works I the rain. so you either apply it after each rain or use a wet lube that makes a messy drive train. rock and roll is easy to reapply and even in the rain does not make much of a mess. life is full of compromises.
Falsehood. R&R does not provide any protection against rain. The rust appears after one ride in the rain. T-9 protects for about 2 weeks of daily rides in the rain, whereupon rust begins to appear. Is this much better than other lubes? No. Two weeks is typical for many reasonable lubes. Are there any better lubes with that respect in the market? Certainly not among those I tried and I tried many. I heard about some, but at this stage I was tired of the claims that did not pan out, with an overall impression of the market being widely open to snake oil and perpetuated by some customers, just like miracle cures. I turn to concocting my own lube and, yes, after much experimentation it includes T-9. My lube protects against rain and snow for months on the chain and years elsewhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.