Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Original paint layer? - paint expert advice appreciated

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 11-25-22, 02:29 PM
sprintcarblue

Bikes: 2015 Rivendell Clementine, 2019 Rivendell Clem Smith jr, 1988 Mikado DeGasep, Custom Marino SSFGMTB, Marinoni Track, In Progres Clive Stuart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all,

I just bought a Marinoni track bike that has a bunch of layers of paint. A bit of sanding and scraping around lugs and bottom brackets have revealed a couple colors, which I think are easy to eliminate.

I'm curious if anyone can help determine which layer is primer/sealer and if the original color was white or a base for a higher luster top coat.

The layering goes - dull reddish brown (I assume this is the original primer and sealer?) White. Either a base coat or original color which is quite possible. Purple frame with yellow head tube and fork. Purple seems to be the hardest thing layer of paint. It seems more like automotive paint than the Blue or top layer. It could have been a respray over white paint. There is over spray on bearings. This is definitely not original. Then the final sad layer of purple and pink fade.

What do people people original color scheme was:

All White

Sparkly purple with a yellow fork and head tube (likely seat tube stripe)

Old 11-25-22, 04:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think the red was the primer. It's a bit weird. It shows up on the fork too.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-26-22, 08:16 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
The red is going to be the primer. We used a lot of redish/brownish primer years ago. It sticks and sands well. The white is going to be the sealer. A sealer serves several purposes. It provides an even background color. It is easy to get a few sand throughs on the primer. These can be noticeable through the top coat color. It also makes the top coat color "pop". Most colors have some kind of translucence and is influenced by what is beneath it. And finally a sealer provides better adhesion between the primer and top color making it less likely to chip. Chipping between the primer and color is common. To be effective the top color has to be applied within a certain time window of when the sealer was sprayed.

I'm guessing that the original color was right over the white sealer and any colors beyond that were resprays (either pro or rattle canned) over the original paint color.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 11-26-22 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-26-22, 05:12 PM
sprintcarblue

Bikes: 2015 Rivendell Clementine, 2019 Rivendell Clem Smith jr, 1988 Mikado DeGasep, Custom Marino SSFGMTB, Marinoni Track, In Progres Clive Stuart

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Doug!

I was wondering if that may be the case. On top of the white on the frame is a quite thin and study coat of metallic purple where it wasn't sanded thoroughly (lugs etc). Fork and head tube a solid yellow. I'm guessing that may have been the original paint scheme then.