Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why I Hate Kick Stands

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why I Hate Kick Stands

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 10:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
rubber is incompressible, but it may flow. That's why applications that use rubber in a structural application capture it somehow.
Old 05-05-10, 10:50 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I don't see the pics in the original post as anything too serious.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-05-10, 11:11 PM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I don't see the pics in the original post as anything too serious.
Nothing structurally catastrophic for sure. If this was some old steel scratched up beater bike, who would care. But, this is a pretty desirable bike in almost pristine condition. At least it will be when I'm done with it. There are a lot of things about a bike that you can fix. Damaged tubing is usually not one of them.
Old 05-06-10, 11:56 AM
bitt3n

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love kickstands. since I took the brakes off my fixie (since they harshed my free-spirit buzz), whenever I need to stop in a hurry I just deploy the kickstand as a kind of emergency brake. it really wows the chicks when they see the sparks fly, and then, about 60 feet later, I dismount as if it were just another day in the life of a cat so cool he's got the grim-reaper Tarot card stuck in his spokes.
Old 05-06-10, 02:00 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
This is my view of thing, as well. They want them, I'll supply them. Whether I like them or not is irrelevant. Stem shifters, too. That's the Holy Trinity for receational city/campus riders - kickstands, safety levers, and stem shifters.
I, for one, welcome our new Fred overlords.
Old 05-06-10, 02:04 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bitt3n
I love kickstands. since I took the brakes off my fixie (since they harshed my free-spirit buzz), whenever I need to stop in a hurry I just deploy the kickstand as a kind of emergency brake. it really wows the chicks when they see the sparks fly, and then, about 60 feet later, I dismount as if it were just another day in the life of a cat so cool he's got the grim-reaper Tarot card stuck in his spokes.
Video or it didn't happen.
Old 05-06-10, 03:08 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kick stands are a poor device.

Not having a kickstand is a bit dangerous to your bike. How many bikes have you seen with dented top tubes because the owner leaned it on something, the front wheel moved, the bike rolled and came to a stop only because the top tube banged against something. Often, the front brake whips around and the adjuster barrel slams into the down tube chipping paint and denting the tube, too.

Enter, the Flickstand (unfortunately, no longer in production).

I think the real problem with centerstands and kick stands is they have a generic (one size fits none) mounting bracket. If it were properly bracketed, afixed or otherwise attached to the frame (without crushing the tubes), they would be more functional. A kickstand still leaves your bike in an unstable position (especially if your bike is loaded, extra specially if you have front panniers and a handlebar bag) but a centerstand is much better, overall.

It's all about the mounting.

Personally, I won't have a kickstand or centerstand on any of my bikes. I've learned how to properly support the bike without one.
Old 05-07-10, 03:07 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I gave serious thought to leaving the kickstand off of my Sports when I rehabilitated it, mostly because I was a little appalled by the damaged chainstays I found when I removed it. I thought on it long and hard, and I ultimately put it back on. The thing is, the reason why I put it back on may be the stupidest reason in the world - for the pictures. I wanted to take "after" pictures in the same location where I took "before" pictures, so there was nothing there to lean the bike against, and I liked the jaunty angle to the front wheel in the pictures that came from standing at ever so slight a lean.

Now that it's there, I find it quite convenient. The damage has already been done to the chainstays, and anyway, the thing's 40-some pounds, so I'm obviously not worried about weight.

Originally Posted by Mike Mills
It's all about the mounting.
Well, of course - but what does that have to do with kickstands?
Old 05-07-10, 09:21 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Say three Hail Marys my son and all is forgiven. Your free to live your life as pure as the Virgin Mary. At least until your next your kick stand indiscretion.
Old 05-08-10, 04:44 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I hate it when a bike doesn't have a kickstand,always falling over and it makes storing them hard for me in my shops when they are gone. I put Greenfield kickstands on every bike I own and on most that I sell and have only been asked to remove one by a customer. I have a small shop with low ceilings so I can't hang bikes up when they are not being used.
I remember last year at some kind of ride they had in Cape May a friend that lives near the start/finish line was complaining about all the people that didn't have kickstands and where leaving their bikes all over his property,he had a temp rope fence up to keep people off his newly seeded lawn and they knocked it down and were just leaving their bikes on his lawn and not one out in the street that was closed off.
Old 05-08-10, 10:34 AM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to fess-up that I've been somewhat persuaded toward the advantages of having a kick stand. I've been on a touring bike obsession lately and have been reading the Touring Forum and looking at the bikes. I never noticed it before I started this thread, but most of them seem to have kick stands. I guess it makes sense. Who wants to lay their bike, with all their gear strapped to it, on the ground when you have to take a piss.
Old 05-08-10, 01:18 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
OK, sure, if you care about that little dent on the chainstays, then avoid the kickstand. But it'll make your life so much easier if you've got baskets or panniers and you're trying to load the bike up at the grocery store (my grocery store doesn't even have a bike rack; it's pretty difficult to load the baskets with the bike leaning against a small tree and wheels resting on slippery pine straw!). If you actually use your bike to carry stuff, a kickstand is pretty important.
Old 05-08-10, 01:55 PM
pcfxer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
The kickstands that attach near the rear axle look like they may be ok, I have no experience with them though.
Yep, those are perfect. I have one on my Velo Sport Banff. It gets loose once every two or three years and less than an 1/8th turn away from being up and ready. In fact, the last time I removed it there weren't ANY scratches on the bars that the mounting plate butts up against.

It does seem to be sensitive to inclines though.