Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo shifters & Shimano mech – easy, cheap solution

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campagnolo shifters & Shimano mech – easy, cheap solution

Old 03-11-19, 03:22 AM
4c2o

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the shifting smooth and consistent with the sram derailler?

Why don't I see people use the setup with the old campagnolo 8/9s derailers that also gives a fully working 9/10s drivetrains? Is it because they are not as readily available anymore or...?
Old 03-21-19, 07:27 AM
PAPYTS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not as smooth as an ultegra 6600, but no over shifting like this

pro
no extra spacer
triple compatible
12-36 cassette compatible
sram rear MTB derailleur type 1 is cheap, I've paid mine 25 $, brand new, old stock.

cons
downshifting more brutal than standard SHIMERGO except you get a 12/30 cassette

the key is special cable housing from Bottom braquet to sram RD.
Old 05-09-19, 01:40 PM
morpe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I was going to build up a shimergo bike transmission with: campagnolo veloce shifters 10s, shimano tiagra 4700 RD and a shimano 10s cassette, but after reading this 3d, I'm not sure this is be a good idea.

So I'm thinking about this setup:

- Campagnolo veloce shifters 10s

- SRAM exact 10s

- Shimano 105 11s cassette

Veloce shifters pulls 2,8 mm of cable, SRAM exact has got a 1,3 ratio, so 2,8x1,3 = 3,64 mm, very close to the 105 cog pitch: 3,69 mm.

Is this a working setup? Does anyone tried this?

Thanks and sorry for my english!
Old 05-13-19, 11:30 AM
4c2o

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you have an exact actuation derailleur and the cassette, isn't it at least more cost effective to just buy an 11-30 miche cassette (60-80euros), enjoy full compatibility and call it a day? (except if you need to go even wider)

That's the route I choose to go. I was planning a 1x10, fast, all-around commuting bike but only had the shifters and a wheel that was able to accept both cassette types.

Everything else would either cost more, or had more or less issues while not oering any real advantage. So I grabbed a xenon 10s derailleur (32€ shipped, merlin) to match with my veloce shifters (new, 84€ shipped, ebay).

...then ended up setting the xenon aside and setting it up as a single speed, with parts I had laying around, until sometime I set my mind to get the cassette and chain and finish this project ...but that's irrelevant.

End of the day, if you have all the expensive parts already, try it. If not, I see no advantage

Last edited by 4c2o; 05-13-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 10:48 AM
morpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4c2o
Unless you have an exact actuation derailleur and the cassette, isn't it at least more cost effective to just buy an 11-30 miche cassette (60-80euros), enjoy full compatibility and call it a day? (except if you need to go even wider)

That's the route I choose to go. I was planning a 1x10, fast, all-around commuting bike but only had the shifters and a wheel that was able to accept both cassette types.

Everything else would either cost more, or had more or less issues while not oering any real advantage. So I grabbed a xenon 10s derailleur (32€ shipped, merlin) to match with my veloce shifters (new, 84€ shipped, ebay).

...then ended up setting the xenon aside and setting it up as a single speed, with parts I had laying around, until sometime I set my mind to get the cassette and chain and finish this project ...but that's irrelevant.

End of the day, if you have all the expensive parts already, try it. If not, I see no advantage
Thanks 4c2o, you're right, but I've got a shimano wheel, so I must use a shimano spline cassette. I'm thinking about buyng a pair of 11 speed ergopower shifters and a xenon 10 speed rear mech, they should work with the shimano 11 speed cassette! Don't they?
Old 05-20-19, 02:24 AM
PAPYTS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you sure a 11 s cassette fits your wheel ?
can you change the hub ?
why are you looking for campy ? for price ?
do you really need 11 speed ?
do you need a 11 /36 cassette ?

I think 11 s campy shifter needs an 11 s campy RD.

the shimergo with 11 s campy shifter is shimano RD with 1.7 geometry. In this case, you got a 9 s drive train. I just hope I don't add some confusion.
Old 05-23-19, 02:39 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Great hack!
but I should have read it all the way through...
Currently running 10sp Chorus shifters with 9sp Chorus derailleur and Shimano 10sp cassette.
No problems!
Now I guess that Dura Ace 11 speed derailleur I ordered is pretty much worthless...oh well.
At least now I have time to save up for some Campag wheels.
Old 10-21-19, 03:53 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Can I use 11 speed Campagnolo shifters, probably Veloce, with Shimano 11 speed derailleurs and cassette.

This will be on a gravel bike, probably geared 11-34 and 44-32 or 30.
Old 01-27-20, 12:36 AM
curtisfong

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy 11 works with Shimano 9 (see two posts up). I've been using SR 11 speed levers with a dura ace 9 speed mech + cassette for some time; works great.
Old 03-04-20, 10:48 AM
OrkneyDullard

Bikes: Muddy Fox Trailblazer Aluminum; Planet X Kaffenback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by morpe
Hello, I was going to build up a shimergo bike transmission with: campagnolo veloce shifters 10s, shimano tiagra 4700 RD and a shimano 10s cassette, but after reading this 3d, I'm not sure this is be a good idea.

So I'm thinking about this setup:

- Campagnolo veloce shifters 10s
- SRAM exact 10s
- Shimano 105 11s cassette

Veloce shifters pulls 2,8 mm of cable, SRAM exact has got a 1,3 ratio, so 2,8x1,3 = 3,64 mm, very close to the 105 cog pitch: 3,69 mm.

Is this a working setup? Does anyone tried this?

Thanks and sorry for my english!
If it helps, I've done something similar (and cheaper?) on a couple of bikes:

- Campy Veloce shifters
- SRAM Exact Actuation derailleur
- Shimano 10-speed cassette.

Works really well, and no need for an 11-speed cassette.
Likes For OrkneyDullard:
Old 08-21-20, 02:44 AM
xifias

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run 10sp Chorus shifters (labeld Carbon BB system) on Sram Force exact actuation 10sp Fd+Rd on a tiagra 12-28 cassete with KMC 10sp chain.No issues at all,fully functional as basic setup for full use.

Im planning updating on 11sp,and keeping derraileurs,but replacing Shifters with a new 2015 model onwards (Chorus/SR) and an 105 cassete maybe.
Older 11 campag/shimano mixes worked.Newers one?Has anyone tried?
Old 08-11-22, 02:05 AM
Openroad2015

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I guess everyone has their own reasons for being excited about things. For me, there are a couple of things about this that are exciting. Mostly they boil down to variations on the fact that (a) I like Campy shifters, and (b) I prefer Shimano hubs and cassettes. So any way to make these work together is a win in my book.

A lot of people like pre-2008 Campy shifters because they are serviceable, so you don't have to throw them away and buy something new. You can fix them when they stop working. That's nice.

I particularly like the Campy shifters that have micro-ratcheting for the front derailleur. This works better than indexing with a triple crankset. It lets you put the front derailleur where you want it, as opposed to putting it relatively near where you want it. Sure, bar end shifters and downtube shifters do this even better, but I like indexed rear shifting at the lever and I don't like mixing and matching levers.

The other thing here that makes upgrading to the latest parts a suboptimal solution for me is that I like vintage frames and most new parts look awful on old steel frames. So yeah, I was very excited that I was able to get 15-year old shifters and 18-year old derailleurs to work perfectly with a brand new wheel and cassette on my 45-year old frame.
I am extremely excited when reading this after 5 years from post date. Will give it a try. The significance of the combo is open the door for larger cassette range. Campy medium cage has a max 13/29 10 speed. With a current R7000 or R8000 medium cage RD, you can fit a 34T. This will make your old 10 speed group have a current Campy 12 speed range.
Old 08-11-22, 02:41 AM
Openroad2015

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
I didn't read through it all, but what I have that works is a Campy 10 brifter/derailleur and a 10sp Shimano Ultegra 12/25 cassette, except that the cassette has extra .2mm spacers between each of the loose cogs with the cassette mounted on an 11 speed freehub. It won't work on a 9/10sp freehub because you run out of hub space. The extra spacers were hand cut from polystyrene sheets but you could look for machined metal spacers on the net, but good luck with that, getting the right size. It shifts really well, except that I have all this mounted on my trainer so how it would work on the road is still undetermined. Some Ultegra cassettes have more loose cogs than others and more is better. There is also a 1mm spacer at the rear. This makes the small cog fall into the same position as a real Campy cassette. It all just works and I can swap my wheel in and out with the trainer and I don't have to adjust and everything is quiet.
Totally agreed. If you can make the Shimano or SRAM 10 speed cassette with the same spacing as Campy 10, that should 100% work, without having to guess cable pull and rear shift ratio. 0.2 mm and 0.19 mm spacers are available on eB. A Shimano 10 speed cassette usually has 3 largest cogs on a single carrier and rest cogs are all single ones. So you maximum miss 2 extra spacers, making it as close as a Campy 10 spacing.
Old 08-11-22, 02:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by Openroad2015
Totally agreed. If you can make the Shimano or SRAM 10 speed cassette with the same spacing as Campy 10, that should 100% work, without having to guess cable pull and rear shift ratio. 0.2 mm and 0.19 mm spacers are available on eB. A Shimano 10 speed cassette usually has 3 largest cogs on a single carrier and rest cogs are all single ones. So you maximum miss 2 extra spacers, making it as close as a Campy 10 spacing.
The trick is you need an 11sp hub. A 10sp will run out of room. Also, you can't put too large a cog on a Campy setup. Their 10sp stuff can't handle it.
Old 10-04-22, 03:21 AM
Alexf9454

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, just got registered as this forum has the resources I've been looking for regarding cable pull ratio.

As far as I understand, 11s Shimano has a ratio closer to 1.5 (1.48) than 1.4 advertised in the "reference" post (Art's SLO Cyclery)...and this "wrong" 1.4 figure is widely spread on the net.
So 10s Campa shifters don't work that great with 11s Shimano rear mech and 10s Shimano cassette (too much cable pull for 10s Shimano cassette spacing).
OTH, Tiagra 4700 shifters won't pull enough cable for fair use with 10s Campa rear mech and 10s Shimano cassette.

In the end, is "old" Campa rear mech (1.4) and 10s Campa shifters the "best" way to go with 10s Shimano cassette ? Visually it would look like a Campy bike (in case of Campy calipers too).

Thanks !
Old 10-11-22, 01:05 PM
PAPYTS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running campy shifter ( 2002 ? ) + sram rear derailleur exact actuation + shimano 10 speed cassette for 5 years. So far so good.

campy shifter + rear mech campa match with...campa cassette.