Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra 6700 Crankset compatible with Tiagra 4700?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-16-22, 01:14 PM
Matt Higgins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All

I have a Boardman bike with a Tiagra 4700 Groupset.
Please could someone tell me if I can integrate this with an Ultegra 6700 Crankset?
I hope so as I've just bought it!
I've just seen some articles suggesting that they possibly won't be compatible.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-16-22, 01:32 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
The cassettes are cross-compatible and I've heard of no indications that the cranks would be.
Old 09-16-22, 01:38 PM
Matt Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
The cassettes are cross-compatible and I've heard of no indications that the cranks would be.
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry, are you saying that the Ultegra crank should work with the Tiagra groupset?
Old 09-16-22, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
You might have an issue with the front DR. But since you already got the crank all you have to do is slide the old crank out of the BB and put your new and older crank in. Then you'll know if it works. Though I suspect your shifting on the front won't quite be right. And that fix will involve a front DR compatible with the old crank and a old STI that will cost as much as your old crank you bought.

The cable pull ratio of the STI's are different between 4700 10 speed and the older 10 speed and earlier stuff. 4700 stuff is compatible for the most part with the 11 speed Shimano group sets. Though there are some things that won't go together.

But if the chain ring spacing is the same between the two cranks then you should be good.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-16-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 02:13 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Higgins
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry, are you saying that the Ultegra crank should work with the Tiagra groupset?
Yes. The cable pull rates on the shifters are different, but there is no reason for chainring spacing to be different. They both use the same 10-speed chains. Here's the caveat--I never tried this and I never measured. But Shimap nhasn't touched the dimensions of 10-speed chainrings from the 5600-6600-7800 series through the 5700-6700-7900 series, plus Tiagra 4600, and I've heard of many using 11-speed cranks successfully on older older 10-speed drivetrains. So it's highly unlikely that spacing was changed for 4700.
Old 09-16-22, 02:20 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
FWIW I put an 11sp 105 crank onto a bike that was otherwise 105 9sp and used a 10sp chain with it. I also put an 11sp 105 FD on it because the new frame had a braze on but the old frame was clamp on. I had swapped all the other parts over. The bike is dead silent and shifts perfectly.
Old 09-16-22, 05:09 PM
Matt Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Iride01
You might have an issue with the front DR. But since you already got the crank all you have to do is slide the old crank out of the BB and put your new and older crank in. Then you'll know if it works. Though I suspect your shifting on the front won't quite be right. And that fix will involve a front DR compatible with the old crank and a old STI that will cost as much as your old crank you bought.

The cable pull ratio of the STI's are different between 4700 10 speed and the older 10 speed and earlier stuff. 4700 stuff is compatible for the most part with the 11 speed Shimano group sets. Though there are some things that won't go together.

But if the chain ring spacing is the same between the two cranks then you should be good.
Old 09-16-22, 05:10 PM
Matt Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 09-17-22, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Higgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post

Thanks for the info
Well if you dissect it closely and were able to see how several time I added more info later, then at first I was probably and basically wrong. I came back later several times to add other info to attempt to fix but it really didn't apply to what you were asking. However the very last sentence is probably the most correct for your OP. And others said that.

However the other statements I made might be useful for consideration in other things you might have crop up in your DIY future needs.