Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Yellow Line

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-22, 12:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Maybe. I read the "please" part as has his interpretation of what they wanted. I never add "please" to the line "passing". Only the OP knows what was said. This is now getting silly.
Yeah, and he stated that they said please.
Old 11-05-22, 12:26 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by spelger
the way I read the OP is the dirty looks came from riders approaching from the front.
Yes. But, that seems to be their biggest offense.
Old 11-05-22, 12:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevinti
People saying, "On the left" (or right) is done out of a curtesey to you...so you are both safe by knowing where everyone is.
I've stopped using this phrase as about 50% of the time, the person I am calling out too interprets it as a request to move left, which they then do and is not what I want. "Passing" seems to work better, they almost always move right.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-05-22, 02:12 PM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I've stopped using this phrase as about 50% of the time, the person I am calling out too interprets it as a request to move left, which they then do and is not what I want. "Passing" seems to work better, they almost always move right.
It probably is more of an area specific sort of thing. In highly frequented bike paths in Southern California one ring from a bell gets people to shift toward the shoulder but other places might not know what it means. I did think that "on your left" was more universal but I've not ridden too many places so others would know better.
Old 11-05-22, 03:32 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Only your left this the correct way to announce yourself. Or ring your bell. People are stupid. Just like a deer on the side of the road they are likely to do the last thing you would expect. And do expect them to be into their ear buds with no situational awareness. That does not mean you shouldn't politely announce your approach. Often I scare the unaware when I say on your left. The bell works best for me.

As far as those weekend packs of cyclists. I don't see speed as an issue here. Most are not hammer down. They are more about yaking with their buddy, Can't gossip the entire ride if you go to single file. Doesn't matter if it's eight of them or two of them. Same people who don't care about anyone else when they drive a car or a shopping cart.

Last edited by Airfehr; 11-05-22 at 07:38 PM.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 11-05-22, 04:51 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Here, instead of fixing some obvious hazardous areas they did the paint thing. I don't see that it made the least bit of difference. Having or not having a centerline paint doesn't change how I ride, and I doubt I'm alone.

scott s.
Old 11-05-22, 05:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
After decades of “On your left” I am attempting to switch to “Passing left”. It leaves little for misinterpretation.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-05-22, 05:28 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts
I'm pretty much of the mind to move far right if it helps create more room. Most of the MUPs in my area have a line. But I don't see it as giving me half no matter what. I realize when driving we don't move over a bit in our lane if someone is passing in another, but MUPs are much narrower.

Rarely I'll see moderate sized group rides on our MUPs. They will certainly use the whole width, but obviously have to adjust when someone is coming the other way. In fact that's the only time I've seen them is when I'm the one coming the other way. I've never passed or been passed by one on a MUP. Often many in the group will stay two abreast requiring me to move far right to give more room.

I have a pet peeve with pairs of riders. Often when coming the other direction, they make no effort to go single file. Just stay side by side. I really think many feel they are on their side of the line if their wheels are on that side. I feel like just staying smack in the middle of my side and give them something to think about. Sort of playing chicken. But, I just move far right to give them more room. I think it is a typical male response to take the attitude of "who's this SOB to think I should move when he's on my side of the path". An alpha male type thinking. But really, it's no effort for me to go farther right. Gives a little more room. Allows them to stay side by side if they want.

There's simply no reason to hold a pissing contest to claim your right of way when it's really zero inconvenience and reduces the likelihood of an accident. I'd feel like an idiot if I held my ground and a collision occurred and I was sitting there with a broken bike and/or broken shoulder.

Whether the other guy is intentionally not yielding, just not paying attention, or is simply comfortable with close passes, doesn't matter. If I can do something to make things a bit safer, I'll do that. The possibility of an accident is simply not worth it. There's plenty in cycling that is out of my control, when it is in my control, I try to make things as safe as I can.
Old 11-05-22, 05:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
After decades of “On your left” I am attempting to switch to “Passing left”. It leaves little for misinterpretation.
I UP IT A KNOTCH with a ring-ring of my bell before saying *passing left*
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-05-22, 06:02 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Mtracer
There's simply no reason to hold a pissing contest to claim your right of way when it's really zero inconvenience and reduces the likelihood of an accident.
That kind of thinking is way too rational.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-05-22, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Driver Karen: "Get off the road!"
Hiker Karen: "Get off the trail!"
MUP Karen: "Get off the path!"
Bike Forum Karen: "Ride when, where, and how I tell you to!"

While I laugh I wonder if we as a society could maybe not use someone's actual name in all of this. I know some people named Karen who are very kind and sweet people and one of whom is quite meek and wouldn't really cause a fuss unless really pushed to the absolute limit.

In terms of what is going on here a multi use path is never really a place for cyclists trying to really cycle it is a fun place to ride kinda slow and sit back and enjoy what you can. Unfortunately in the case of the MUP the cyclist can be more like the SUV would be on the road. I am not saying people shouldn't ride them but trying to use them as a training ground or have issues with people passing or whatever just doesn't make sense. It is a multi use path for pedestrians and they can be quite full of some of the most clueless denizens of your local area and sometimes they are clueless parents and children and sometimes they are clueless cyclists even some who think they are on the ball because they are at the local made up in their head TT that they need to win. It is a place to just cycle a little slower and try to enjoy life a little while also keeping a good watchful eye out because many people don't know how to pass and announce things and share the space with others.

I know that some roads suck for riding on, I get it, but the MUP is not a great place to really cycle if you are looking to really ride more seriously. I was on one today and a trip that probably could have taken 15-20 minutes took 30(ish) but we had fun and everyone survived. Sure would it have been nice to go faster, yeah of course but it would have put other folks in unneeded danger.

As far as solid vs. dashed my guess would be dashed lines would be places to pass and solid lines would be places NOT to pass. That is generally how it is on the roads so I wouldn't assume their would be a different line code there? Who the heck knows.

One final little tip if you are passing someone and you aren't using a bell or just want to say something, I would recommend "Coming up behind you" as a good alternative as it doesn't give them a left or right direction they might instinctively move in but lets them know maybe I should look and see what is coming up behind me and then they can decide how to move hopefully in a better fashion. Just a thought : )
Old 11-05-22, 09:42 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What you're just described sounds like a typical elitist roadie club riders who seem to believe that their ride is more important and that they have a right to take over an entire path to themselves and do their unsanctioned imagineay races.
Silly me, I had interpreted "groups of cyclists riding in packs" to mean families with kids, couples riding side-by-side chatting, newbies riding in groups so they can talk, etc, etc.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-05-22, 10:29 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Bikes have the least right of way on the trails around here (Horse > human > bike). When bikers are being twats I just stand my ground and tell em to **** off. Go ahead and run into me.
Old 11-05-22, 10:44 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
On our local Greenways/MUPs, the city has decided to paint a yellow line down the center of the Greenway so users know which side to stay on. They have done solid yellow and dash lines. I am not sure why they did the dash, maybe to save paint.
The solid and broken markings are intended to denote whether passing by crossing the yellow line is permitted or restricted, similar to roadway markings.

MUTCD Figure 9C-2 - Examples of Center Line Markings for Shared-Use Paths

Old 11-06-22, 09:49 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
While I laugh I wonder if we as a society could maybe not use someone's actual name in all of this. I know some people named Karen who are very kind and sweet people and one of whom is quite meek and wouldn't really cause a fuss unless really pushed to the absolute limit.
Imagine how people named Dick must feel.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-06-22, 09:52 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Silly me, I had interpreted "groups of cyclists riding in packs" to mean families with kids, couples riding side-by-side chatting, newbies riding in groups so they can talk, etc, etc.
I wonder what could happen when one group of cyclists meets another group of cyclists.
Old 11-06-22, 01:55 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wonder what could happen when one group of cyclists meets another group of cyclists.
well, if its anything like matter and antimatter...
Old 11-06-22, 06:04 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Well, some of us look ahead and move to single file when we see an oncoming group. Others maintain their self-centered tendencies and ride on occupying more space than is prudent.
Old 11-06-22, 06:14 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Well, I guess the entire 17 miles of the Shining Sea Bike Path in Falmouth, MA is a no passing zone.
Old 11-06-22, 09:08 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
The solid and broken markings are intended to denote whether passing by crossing the yellow line is permitted or restricted, similar to roadway markings.

MUTCD Figure 9C-2 - Examples of Center Line Markings for Shared-Use Paths

Yes, I kind of figured that, but no way is anyone following the solid line no passing. There are solid line sections that are quite long and it makes no sense to not pass on pedestrians in these areas.
Old 11-06-22, 09:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Something like West Side Story since everyone has chains.

Old 11-06-22, 09:35 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Beautiful day today(almost 80 degrees), I knew the Greenway/MUP was going to be busy. So, I gave it another shot in the sense I went out about 20 miles centered on the right side of the yellow line and came back riding on the hard right of the the yellow line. On the way out every group of riders coming at me went into single file and gave me no grief or nasty looks. On two occasions on a group of riders trying to pass me, they did not announce themselves but they sped past in single file and cut in quite early in front of me. They also used their right hand and pointed to the ground before cutting back in. This hand signal I had never seen before used on passing. And I did an internet search with no result for group bicycle hand signals.

On the way back, hugging the right side of the path was much less stress full. And watching all the walkers, families, roller bladers, and kids; the yellow line helps keep everyone on their side of the path. The yellow line is helpful overall and I am glad the city did this.
Old 11-07-22, 12:17 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Agree. I question how safe it can be for a group of roadies wanting to maintain speed can be on a MUT. Seems like a really bad idea. Too many chances for a collision.
Any group that rides in a paceline on an MUP is comprised of assh...s

Originally Posted by mtnbud
What is a MUT? I know MUP stands for multiple use path, what does MUT stand for?
It's a person who rides in a paceline on an MUP

Originally Posted by Rolla
Imagine how people named Dick must feel.
Or someone named William Peter Johnson
Old 11-07-22, 12:37 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes. But, that seems to be their biggest offense.
I read it to say that they were taking 3/4 of the path (all of their direction and half of the OP's) and gave dirty looks when they had to line up single file.

Personally, I still shift to the far right even if the opposing party is staying in their own lane. No need to risk knocking handlebars or something.
Old 11-07-22, 12:44 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
And just because I like sharing this one... notice how on the first pass I still shift to the right, because there's two of them and plenty of room for me to get by. The second one I still shift, but they are not only taking up both lanes, but the pedestrian lane as well. At first I figured they would squeeze in like the previous riders, but started hitting my brakes when it appeared they were just going to bulldoze right through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.