Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame Material Preference Poll

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Frame Material Preference
Carbon Fiber
31.25%
Aluminum
7.81%
Steel
47.66%
Titanium
13.28%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Frame Material Preference Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 01:01 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
There likely was a lot of bodged bikes that did tours before the Surly era. Now? I doubt there's 2% now on CGOAB.
Most were bought new for the purpose. Still some broke spokes the first week. LOL.
And yah, I know many riding these new bikes brag about $15 flea bag hotels in Asia. NOT me. LOL.
I've done lots of century rides on my heavy tour bike with both the Rohloff and SA 5w.
Old 11-14-22, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,537 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I can't think of anyone I know who bought a new touring bike. I got my first touring frame cheap from a friend and scrounged up parts to assemble it. I did buy new rims and hubs and lace them myself.
The guys I toured cross country used bikes they already had. One was a beater with no name on it, one was an old Mondia which I think was an actual touring bike, and the other was a Cannondale touring bike he got used someplace.
Others I have done short tours with have used their regular road bikes, mostly cf.
I’ve bought three new ones for myself. (Second one was stolen.) Also bought a new one for the GF at the time.
Old 11-14-22, 05:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4404 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
The pros ride what they do because their sponsors, the bike companies, supply their bikes. It's a promotion of sorts. Because the sheeple will follow what the pros do with the hopes they will ride like the pros.
So are you trying to say that, given a free choice, some pros would be racing ti/steel/aluminium bikes?
Very few people actually ride pro level £10K+ carbon bikes. But most club riders have long since figured out that carbon frames are the best choice for riding fast road or hitting hard mtb trails.

I get it that someone might prefer a steel frame for pottering around because they are cheaper, or they may well simply prefer the retro-look. It's just laughable when they try to argue that steel/ti is actually superior to carbon as a bike frame material.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-14-22, 07:09 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Interesting. Surprised that welder isn't blind yet using a welding tool with no eye protection. Not smart.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-14-22, 07:15 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I don't currently have a full carbon or a titanium, so maybe I need 2 more bikes is what you're saying? haha Oh yeah, the DW will be pulling out those divorce papers by morning haha. She would rather I buy another Harley than another pedal bike, but I've convinced her that I am working toward getting down to just one, and she's happy about that, so I better follow through. Huh?
I have never ridden a titanium bike but from all I have read basically the reason they feel responsive or "nice" is because they are so expensive they have other upper level stuff on them like good carbon wheels and high end groupsets to make it feel super nice. However the "modulus" or flexibility/stiffness and ability to work with is very similar to aluminum so blind fold yourself, put a high end groupset and fancy carbon wheels on a 500-1000 dollar Aluminum frame you won't feel a difference vs similar Titanium. The only difference is Ti is a bit less susceptible to corrosion and lasts longer but the "forever bike" or "forever X" is silly because the truth is with technology you are denying yourself access to new and better bikes that will eventually be far better than anything you could dream of currently if you keep the same thing for decades. And no Titanium is not repairable either so once you bend it or break it in a crash it's done just like Aluminum. With something so inexpensive (relatively, compared to say motorcycles or cars) why not upgrade at least every 10 years? So the point of Ti is very limited.

But carbon? It's what dreams are made of. Stiff, fast, ultra responsive and yet they can make it compliant in other ways so it soaks up the bumps: stiff when you pedal, soft when you hit things, carbon is what dreams are made of. If you never tried a carbon bike, you truly are depriving yourself, get carbon!
Likes For Attilio:
Old 11-14-22, 07:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4404 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
I have never ridden a titanium bike but from all I have read basically the reason they feel responsive or "nice" is because they are so expensive they have other upper level stuff on them like good carbon wheels and high end groupsets to make it feel super nice. However the "modulus" or flexibility/stiffness and ability to work with is very similar to aluminum so blind fold yourself, put a high end groupset and fancy carbon wheels on a 500-1000 dollar Aluminum frame you won't feel a difference vs similar Titanium. The only difference is Ti is a bit less susceptible to corrosion and lasts longer but the "forever bike" or "forever X" is silly because the truth is with technology you are denying yourself access to new and better bikes that will eventually be far better than anything you could dream of currently if you keep the same thing for decades. And no Titanium is not repairable either so once you bend it or break it in a crash it's done just like Aluminum. With something so inexpensive (relatively, compared to say motorcycles or cars) why not upgrade at least every 10 years? So the point of Ti is very limited.

But carbon? It's what dreams are made of. Stiff, fast, ultra responsive and yet they can make it compliant in other ways so it soaks up the bumps: stiff when you pedal, soft when you hit things, carbon is what dreams are made of. If you never tried a carbon bike, you truly are depriving yourself, get carbon!
Even most of the high-end Ti/steel diehards appear to favour carbon forks, seat posts, bars and wheels. Might as well just get a carbon frame at that point right? Truth is they simply like the aesthetics of a classic Steel/Ti frame, which is all the justification they really need. No need to pretend they are better than carbon. Nobody riding a modern carbon bike thinks they are at a disadvantage to a guy riding a steel bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-14-22, 08:03 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I ride steel bikes because I like the way the look, it doesn't matter what type of bike I was looking to build it would be steel.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 11-14-22, 08:20 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Oh I know people do buy new touring bikes and I'm not against it. I'm just willing to spend more on a road bike I will ride all year than on a tour bike I only use on occasion.
My point was acceptable touring bikes can be had cheap, even new ones.
You are right, that's why I tried to find another used touring bike to replace the 85 Schwinn Lt Tour Luxe I bought used, but none ever came up. So I replaced the touring bike with a Masi Giramondo 700c, not a high end touring bike, in fact it's low mid level, but it had all the features I wanted, features I could not find on a few more expensive bikes. I use the bike mostly for bike camping at this point, getting use to camping, and what and what not to take, I'm hoping to do a couple of short 5 to 7 day tours this coming summer, then the following summer do a long tour. I was going to do the Adventure Cycling tour across the US, but the cost went up by about $1,500 and will probably go up a lot more, so I will probably solo it, then I can do what I want to do when I want to do it, but I'll follow their maps, but I can probably do it solo for about $1,500 less then with the group method.

One of those short tours I'm planning will be a Adventure Cycling 7 day tour where they spend 3 days in classroom, and 5 days riding; I think I have a pretty good handle on camping, but think I could still learn a lot with pros teaching me.
Old 11-14-22, 08:20 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I like steel bikes, myself. They do have a certain style and aesthetic.

I got a Ritchey Swiss Cross steel frame last year to build a gravel / commuting bike after my last steel frame broke - not because it is better than CF (it was cheaper, but it wasn't the primary driver), but because it looks good with matching finishing bits, the geometry fits me like a glove with a slammed stem, and I have a CF race bike for really smashing it already.

It’s a good bike. A carbon fiber bike is better, although in that 1350 Eur price range, not by much. If I could have only one, it'd be CF, though.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-14-22, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
With 48.35% of the vote, it is clear that steel has a mandate to form a new government, which it can do by entering into a coalition with either titanium or aluminum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-14-22, 08:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve bought three new ones for myself. (Second one was stolen.) Also bought a new one for the GF at the time.
My first one was a Nishiki Seral. My LBS guy (also a friend) was a Nishiki rep at one time so I got a few frames from him cheap. Got the Seral for $50! Built it up with donated parts except the wheels.

In 1992 a bike shop here was closing and they had a Cannondale touring frame hanging on the wall and I got it for $100. Stripped the Seral and sold it for $20 and had the Cannondale until 2021 when I sold it.
Both bikes were great with a load but the Cannondale felt more solid, more responsive, and more like a road bike when empty.

My ex had a 1420 Trek which had rack eyelets and a triple. She rode it on lots of overnighters and a 9 day tour.
Old 11-14-22, 09:02 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
With 48.35% of the vote, it is clear that steel has a mandate to form a new government, which it can do by entering into a coalition with either titanium or aluminum.
Granted this is a bike forum with participants who are enthusiasts, so results could be skewed. If you go to a car forum and ask the question as to what kind of transmission you prefer, a large number of participants will vote for manual transmission while only 3% of American drivers drive manual transmission.

FYI, I did not vote because I have no great preference for one bike frame material over another.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-14-22, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You are right, that's why I tried to find another used touring bike to replace the 85 Schwinn Lt Tour Luxe I bought used, but none ever came up. So I replaced the touring bike with a Masi Giramondo 700c, not a high end touring bike, in fact it's low mid level, but it had all the features I wanted, features I could not find on a few more expensive bikes. I use the bike mostly for bike camping at this point, getting use to camping, and what and what not to take, I'm hoping to do a couple of short 5 to 7 day tours this coming summer, then the following summer do a long tour. I was going to do the Adventure Cycling tour across the US, but the cost went up by about $1,500 and will probably go up a lot more, so I will probably solo it, then I can do what I want to do when I want to do it, but I'll follow their maps, but I can probably do it solo for about $1,500 less then with the group method.

One of those short tours I'm planning will be a Adventure Cycling 7 day tour where they spend 3 days in classroom, and 5 days riding; I think I have a pretty good handle on camping, but think I could still learn a lot with pros teaching me.
My first tour was ACA's unsupported Northern Tier group tour. That was back in '99. I rode my new touring bike fully loaded only once (65 miles) before I left for Seattle to start the trip. I had never camped in my life and had set up my tent in my mom's living room only once. Because of my lack of experience, I was glad I went with a group. I also learned that, all in all, I prefered being on my own rather than in a group. As you note, you can set your own schedule and pick where you want to stay. For example, we had a relatively "high maintenance" group. Most people preferred commercial campgrounds with showers over places like U.S.F.S. campground that were more scenic. There were also a couple of French shower bags in the group, including a bigoted alcoholic. When the tour ended in Bar Harbor, ME, I rode home to Philly solo. In many ways, I felt a weight had been lifted off of me. The following winter/spring I spent nearly seven weeks touring Andalucia, Spain solo. Came home, rested up for a few weeks then headed out to Seattle again and rode (solo) a combination of ACA routes to Mesa Verde National Park near Cortez, CO, to hang with some people who were interning there.

You can lose certain economies of scale when you go solo, but you can balance that with other savings. What you really have to ask yourself is if you like your own company enough. Some people need a lot of social interaction daily to feel comfortable. In 2018 I took Amtrak from Philly up to northern Vermont and rode home. Along the way I stopped at my former high school in western Massachusetts for my 35th reunion weekend. Saturday night I sat next to Ben Patton, grandson of the late General Geroge S. Patton, who had been in my class. When I told him about my solo touring, he said that I must hate being around people. I pointed out that in my daily life I am around people all the time. Touring solo gives me a break from that constant interaction. I have much more ability to regulate the amount of social interaction I have with others.

I remember a thread on either this forum or ACA's forum started by a guy planning to take his first long tour. He was concerned about being bored at the end of each day in camp because he would be alone. I responded with what I wrote in the above paragraph and told him that, personally, I look forward to being able to sit by the lake in the evening and read for a couple of hours without having to deal with anyone.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-14-22, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

with 48.35% of the vote, it is clear that steel has a mandate to form a new government, which it can do by entering into a coalition with either titanium or aluminum.
stop the steel! M.a.c.a.!
Old 11-14-22, 09:34 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
There is the possiblity of a new frame material coming onto the market, hopefully sooner rather than later, but it's called simply super magnesium, which is made better than magnesium that use to be used in a few custom frames. https://insights.globalspec.com/arti...or-bike-frames

https://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com...next-big-thing

There is also a new higher strength aluminum allow that could also break into the market.

How will this Super Mag, and higher strength AL compare with other frame materials we already have remains to be seen.
Old 11-14-22, 10:05 AM
big john

But steel bikes are rare on club rides or fast group rides. There are lots of clubs around here, some race oriented, some more recreational, and nearly everyone rides CF. When I go into the coastal mountains people often comment on my metal bikes, especially when I ride the steel one.
Old 11-14-22, 10:22 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio

You must be young. If I'm still riding in 10yrs it will be a miracle. So whatever I buy is more than likely going to be my forever bike haha. This is why I need to make sure I get it right and have resorted to the poll and other rider's opinions. I'm covering all bases and hoping to get it right the first time (last time) Smokey
Old 11-14-22, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Lombard
Granted this is a bike forum with participants who are enthusiasts, so results could be skewed. If you go to a car forum and ask the question as to what kind of transmission you prefer, a large number of participants will vote for manual transmission while only 3% of American drivers drive manual transmission.

FYI, I did not vote because I have no great preference for one bike frame material over another.

I don't think skewed is even the term for why this kind of polling is absurd. I have no idea what population this sample is supposed to represent.
Old 11-14-22, 10:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

But steel bikes are rare on club rides or fast group rides. There are lots of clubs around here, some race oriented, some more recreational, and nearly everyone rides CF. When I go into the coastal mountains people often comment on my metal bikes, especially when I ride the steel one.

The poll has spoken, please let this transition of power be peaceful.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-14-22, 10:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think steel is the preferred material/method if you're going to take/ride the bike without paying for it.
Old 11-14-22, 10:57 AM
big john

The poll has spoken, please let this transition of power be peaceful.
Since I already have a steel bike I guess I can fit in with the new world order. Should I get rid of my CF mountain bike?
Old 11-14-22, 11:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Since I already have a steel bike I guess I can fit in with the new world order. Should I get rid of my CF mountain bike?
No, just put it in the shadow cabinet.
Old 11-14-22, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
You must be young. If I'm still riding in 10yrs it will be a miracle. So whatever I buy is more than likely going to be my forever bike haha. This is why I need to make sure I get it right and have resorted to the poll and other rider's opinions. I'm covering all bases and hoping to get it right the first time (last time) Smokey
Here's an idea...
Old 11-14-22, 11:26 AM
big john

No, just put it in the shadow cabinet.
Had to Google that one.
Old 11-14-22, 11:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3950 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Steel tried to form a new government, but they've been through numerous PMs and still can't find anyone to lead them.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.