Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

This winter's Zwift plan

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

This winter's Zwift plan

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 07:21 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
This winter's Zwift plan

It is so tempting to go all out every time I ride Zwift, but it is exhausting mentally. And with so much being written lately about doing 80% of our riding (or running or whatever) at a slow pace, I am shooting for that this winter.

My plan is to ride no more than 3 days per week, but 2 of them easy, just riding around. Then maybe once race, TT or fast ride. That is if I can find a race at my level. Getting dropped on the lead-in is no fun.
Old 10-21-22, 07:31 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
I use the pace partners to slow down my Zwift rides on Endurance Pace days, and still it's hard to stay at an easy pace.

Interesting that riding at a slower pace in the virtual is harder than in the real.
Old 10-21-22, 07:31 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
It is so tempting to go all out every time I ride Zwift, but it is exhausting mentally. And with so much being written lately about doing 80% of our riding (or running or whatever) at a slow pace, I am shooting for that this winter.

My plan is to ride no more than 3 days per week, but 2 of them easy, just riding around. Then maybe once race, TT or fast ride. That is if I can find a race at my level. Getting dropped on the lead-in is no fun.
Be sore to include some weights in the winter program. Never hurts to tone the rest of the body.
Old 10-21-22, 07:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I think it's probably best to set aside one day a week and do HIIT. I'm not sure 3 days a week of riding is really enough, but maybe just a half hour before doing some weightlifting.
The thing that seems to be bad is doing intermediate level training because it actually tears you down. Doing 3 days a week of HIIT would probably be worse though.
If you get dropped on the lead in to your race, go do one of the zwift workouts
Old 10-21-22, 11:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts

This 80% slow thing has to be taken in context. For example it works well for pros who may ride 20+ hours per week. But it would be pretty ineffective for a weekend warrier riding 5 hours per week. Neal Henderson wrote an article suggesting that you need to be training at least 15 hours per week to make it effective. Otherwise you are better off riding harder for your limited time.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-21-22, 11:37 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I've been planning on trying the new pace partners now that the days are getting shorter and cooler.

But I also wonder if Zwift has some sort of offseason/winter maintenance training program?
Old 10-21-22, 01:23 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Be warned, "just riding around" is not what they mean. They mean Zone two which requires first you have an accurate FTP to be able to lock in Zone 2. Zone two is not leisurely its more like a brisk pace. Zwift is great in that if you hit the G key it will tell you what zone you are currently in. Assuming of course your FTP is accurate.
Likes For La Tortue:
Old 10-22-22, 05:23 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
My winter plan is same as last year’s, watch the weather and road conditions like a hawk and ride outside as much as possible. Use Zwift when I can’t ride outside, hopefully only 20-30 times all winter, using the app on my iPhone to do a workout so I don’t have to look at the screen, while watching a movie or cyclocross race or something on a larger screen.
Old 10-22-22, 07:01 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Be sore to include some weights in the winter program. Never hurts to tone the rest of the body.
Yea, I do some of that too. Not super intense, but pretty regularly.

Sure, outside is better than virtual, but while a 4 hour IRL ride is fun, a one hour Zwift ride is mentally exhausting. It's just hard to not go full gas all the time.
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-22-22, 07:57 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
how this for a challenge...do the Four Horsemen. I did that last year or the year before. it was a b@ll buster.

i'm tempted to do it again but not planning on zwift this year. probably rouvy again or fulgaz.
Old 10-22-22, 08:50 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by spelger
how this for a challenge...do the Four Horsemen. I did that last year or the year before. it was a b@ll buster.

i'm tempted to do it again but not planning on zwift this year. probably rouvy again or fulgaz.
I "reviewed" the Rouvy vs FulGaz last spring and chose Rouvy. Both worked fine, I just liked the displays on Rouvy better. Nice to have options.
Old 10-22-22, 08:53 AM
dmanthree

Yea, I do some of that too. Not super intense, but pretty regularly.

Sure, outside is better than virtual, but while a 4 hour IRL ride is fun, a one hour Zwift ride is mentally exhausting. It's just hard to not go full gas all the time.
I'm indoors only now, and agree; it takes a lot more discipline to ride for hours indoors. And there's no coasting. Well, not like the road, anyway. But you adjust. I remember reading about how Lon Haldeman, the ultra-marathon cyclist used to train in his basement on rollers in the dark for hours at a time to build his mental discipline! That's a bit extreme, but, well, it takes a bit to master indoor riding.
Old 10-22-22, 10:39 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I "reviewed" the Rouvy vs FulGaz last spring and chose Rouvy. Both worked fine, I just liked the displays on Rouvy better. Nice to have options.
that's the reason why i went with rouvy too. also that they uploaded rides to strava automatically. i coule only get fulgaz to send me an email which became cumbersome.
Old 10-22-22, 03:50 PM
bblair

Fall is a beautiful time to ride here. Tomorrow I have about a 4 hour ride planned through the hills. Easy on the flats, crank it on the climbs. Time flies by.

But an hour in the basement, even with Zwift, is a killer. Sometimes the dog barks to make it more realistic or someone comes to the door with a delivery.

We are working on a solution, the Mrs. and I: go south for the winter!
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-23-22, 07:44 PM
dmanthree

Fall is a beautiful time to ride here. Tomorrow I have about a 4 hour ride planned through the hills. Easy on the flats, crank it on the climbs. Time flies by.

But an hour in the basement, even with Zwift, is a killer. Sometimes the dog barks to make it more realistic or someone comes to the door with a delivery.

We are working on a solution, the Mrs. and I: go south for the winter!
I find ways to help the time pass. Sometimes I'll use the phone to run Zwift and watch a movie on the computer. Most times I'll just listen to some music. You get used to it. Zwift has, as you likely know, a ton of incentives in most rides to hold your attention. Like sprints.
Old 10-24-22, 06:42 AM
bblair

I find ways to help the time pass. Sometimes I'll use the phone to run Zwift and watch a movie on the computer. Most times I'll just listen to some music. You get used to it. Zwift has, as you likely know, a ton of incentives in most rides to hold your attention. Like sprints.
I listen to music also, with Bose Sport ear buds. Big TV's are getting cheap, so I might use Zwift as an excuse to buy one for my basement.

I know that I am not going to make big fitness gains riding indoor, but I want to be close enough so that early spring rides are not a death march.
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-24-22, 08:05 AM
dmanthree

I listen to music also, with Bose Sport ear buds. Big TV's are getting cheap, so I might use Zwift as an excuse to buy one for my basement.

I know that I am not going to make big fitness gains riding indoor, but I want to be close enough so that early spring rides are not a death march.
Anything you do in the winter will help in the spring. But based on my experience, road riding will always require an "adjustment."
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 11-13-22, 08:19 AM
bblair

34 º here today with a light rain. So I am going to dust off my train, boot up my laptop and give Z a go. I think there is an update, but not planning an organized event today, just reacquainting myself with Watopia. Or maybe the new island roads.

Last week the temp was in the 70's. This week 20's and 30's.
Old 11-14-22, 08:21 AM
bblair

So complicated!

I hadn't used my laptop in months...mainly for Zwift now that I am retired, so it had to download and install a Windows update and reboot several times.
Then Zwift had to update and install. Connection problems and slow to load but finally in!

But by then I was 45 min into my "warm up" and had enough. Try again another day.
Old 11-17-22, 03:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
So complicated!

I hadn't used my laptop in months...mainly for Zwift now that I am retired, so it had to download and install a Windows update and reboot several times.
Then Zwift had to update and install. Connection problems and slow to load but finally in!

But by then I was 45 min into my "warm up" and had enough. Try again another day.
This reminds me why I much prefer Macs! If you do get that big TV I would also get an Apple TV box to run Zwift on it. They are cheap as chips and there is a native Zwift App for it.
Old 11-17-22, 08:18 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by PeteHski
This reminds me why I much prefer Macs! If you do get that big TV I would also get an Apple TV box to run Zwift on it. They are cheap as chips and there is a native Zwift App for it.
That is my plan.

My laptop is very old, but thanks anyway for the "I prefer Macs!" Never heard that before.
Old 12-05-22, 08:15 AM
bblair

Got my new setup running yesterday.

First, thanks to the Apple TV suggestion. About 1/10 what a new laptop would have cost. And very quick to connect. Got a 58" TV and Klipsch soundbar & subwoofer from Costco on Black Friday. With a wall mount, the whole thing cost about $700 and I can now also watch games on a big TV without competing with the Mrs. who really, really wants to watch The Bachelor.

Only negative was when my wife came downstairs to check it out and asked, "why is everyone passing you?"

I need to do some wire management, but was eager to get going.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-05-22, 08:28 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Only negative was when my wife came downstairs to check it out and asked, "why is everyone passing you?"
Internet connection lag.
That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!
Old 12-06-22, 04:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Winter is always “sweet spot” time for me, with most rides at L3/Tempo power. I usually do three rides a week of those (2 at 40-45, 1 at 65minutes) and one endurance-focused ride of an hour or so. The endurance ride gets replaced with an outdoor ride when I’m feeling up for it (or my club mates shame me into suffering the cold!).

Also, I do one 40 minute and the 60 minute sweet spot rides on consecutive days, with one day off before the weekly 3rd sweet spot. I think going back-to-back helps tax the system in the absence of long hours.

When I go into winter strong, this routine keeps me from losing to much, but as dmanthree said upthread, there’s always an adjustment come Springtime. 10 years ago, before everyone and their mamma was on Zwift, it was a real jump start on the season, but now, it’s barely keeping me from getting dropped on the spring opener!
Old 12-06-22, 05:43 PM
dmanthree

That is my plan.

My laptop is very old, but thanks anyway for the "I prefer Macs!" Never heard that before.
FWIW, I've run Zwift on a high-end Macbook and a budget Asus Windows laptop. Yes, the Mac runs better, but, well, based on the price difference it should. But I got by fine on the Asus. I like Macs, b ut use what you like!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.