Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 06:22 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
A little while back, there was a thread about Silca over on the Paceline. It turned out that Josh, who runs Silca, was on vacation. He came back and chimed in on that thread. It led to an article on Cyclingtips.

It's worth the read for what is happening in the online marketplace: https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/inte...theft-returns/
Yep. Never underestimate the TSF in any transaction, especially when dealing online.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-29-22, 06:35 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
That’s a good read that explains it well. Realize savvy fraudsters will always be a step ahead. I didn’t realize credit cards make much MORE on fraud sales than real ones. Talk about the wrong incentives!!

On eBay, best to stay in your lane. If you commonly sell items for $25 to $50, avoid selling something for $1000 as one scam will wipe out dozens of sales. On used bike parts, fraud is less prevalent, as fraudsters can’t turn a vintage Suntour dérailleur into quick cash.

Still I’ve gotten claims on item not delivered even though USPS shows delivery. Know the sales rules! Over $750 (last time I checked) you must have a signature. I had one where the person refused to sign. Ultimately I got the item back.

My basic rule in bikes I’ll sell locally for HALF my eBay price. Why? No packing, no buyer wins any dispute, no fees; it’s just A LOT easier! I always laugh when a local seller wants eBay price. I tell them, then sell on eBay. Or I just ignore them.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-26-22, 10:52 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
To add data points from two recent sales...

One was a frameset at $1,600. I listed it in every known Facebook vintage bike group and marketplace - no takers. Sold in a few weeks on ebay. The seller paid $1,848.75, including shipping, and I received $1,400.37. The fees can be hard to swallow, but reinforces that ebay reaches a much larger pool of buyers.

Second was a set of old but not vintage pedals. Listed here at $65. Sold on ebay for $90. Seller paid $102.60 and I received $82.55.

To be honest, it's much easier to list on ebay since you don't need to "bump" items and then either annoy forum visitors, or stop bumping and let the listing slide into oblivion. That said, I make an effort to list things here at a substantial discount because this is a great resource and generous community, and I really don't like sending ebay money.
Old 11-26-22, 11:08 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Welp, eBay not only took more than 15% of the sale as a fee (including the "free shipping"), which is something I was willing to deal with - once - but also withheld my funds until AFTER proof of delivery
Ebay, under Meg Whitman, went from a great place to a Profit at everyone's expense no matter if you have to steal it.

My first sale on ebay was in 1999. My last sale was last year after over 20 years of selling and 0 negative feedback. Ebay says that I had to be verified. They withheld the entire sales amount $52.00 and I'm out the shipping. They are still verifying me 16 months later.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-26-22, 03:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by alexihnen
To add data points from two recent sales...

One was a frameset at $1,600. I listed it in every known Facebook vintage bike group and marketplace - no takers. Sold in a few weeks on ebay. The seller paid $1,848.75, including shipping, and I received $1,400.37. The fees can be hard to swallow, but reinforces that ebay reaches a much larger pool of buyers.

Second was a set of old but not vintage pedals. Listed here at $65. Sold on ebay for $90. Seller paid $102.60 and I received $82.55.

To be honest, it's much easier to list on ebay since you don't need to "bump" items and then either annoy forum visitors, or stop bumping and let the listing slide into oblivion. That said, I make an effort to list things here at a substantial discount because this is a great resource and generous community, and I really don't like sending ebay money.
top level math on the frameset, there must be sales tax in that spread also?

there needs to be a bringatrailer for classic and vintage bikes, heck maybe even mod bikes. "BAT" now has about a 100 listings per day.
They do charge a listing fee, so that quells some to motivated sellers.
Old 11-01-23, 07:31 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
They hold the funds for new sellers to protect the buyer. There are a lot of scammers on eBay so they hold the funds for xx number of days to make sure the buyer receives the item and it's as described. Once you are an established seller they no longer hold your funds..
No longer true. I just had a lengthy phone conversation with an ebay representative (she too explained is a seller).

We used a current example and discussed the following:

Decade plus seller. 100% feedback. Volume based. Extra verifications done a few years ago, govt issued ID provided on file, bank accounts, etc.. This done for reasons to expedite payouts, non holding by the ebay company at their advantage and backend interest rev's. All complied and green lighted by the powers to be at ebay.

Sellers hub not available on the mobile app. however could still use phone and access the hub by google chrome. In the hub, used to be able to add shipper and tracking number. Funds released. So that's the picture from last years and had smooth sailing, per their requirements.

Now that the bike industry and market as a whole is rapidly flipping upside down, the used market of whole bikes by sellers is now worsened by ebay tactics.

I sell by listing 'pick up' only. In the description, I offer shipping, if prearranged and at buyers expense. There may be additional buyers expense if they just went the bike released to a local bike shop and they handle all of it. Though, I've never had that last part requested and I've done all the prep and packaging myself / no extra cost.

Former user of Bike Flights. Now too high (pun?)
Former user of Ship Bikes. Now out of biz for the bike services of shipping.

Currently use 3rd party Pirate Ship with excellent results and substantial rate savings over the carrier UPS, direct.

Using the ebay sellers hub (access by google chrome), would enter the UPS tracking number and all was done and funds released.

No more and unable to do such.

Ebay tells me my volume isn't enough over whatever timeline they deem. No schedule of sales dollar volume or units provided.

They would however immediately release funds if I 'used their' shipping services option for buyer. Meaning, I must use their shipper services 'option'. There's a price to that but they reward seller because of the higher final tally or sale/ .ie: sales dollar volume.

I'm declining for the following reasons:

All the ebay shipper / vendor options are currently sky high compared to Pirate Ship. This would deter the buyer at seeing the rates, and skip altogether buying the bike.

I don't want to pre break down bikes and prep and carton for shipping, provide pertinent details for shipping rates.

Ebay takes commission from the total sale amount. Basic example is a $525 bike (less shipping) nets $445 payout. Add $500 shipping (using a recent best rate / UPS ground / defined zip codes) total ebay collected from buyer (less state tax collection) would be $1,025. That commission rate collected is inclusive of shipping cost.

Anyways, the particular example using Pirate Ship is approx. $200. A UPS tracking number and UPS as actual carrier, unable to now enter this information in order to get prompt payouts.

Ebay has become another thorn to the already downward trend.
Old 11-01-23, 07:48 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Not that I sell a lot on Ebay, but the few times I compared shipping rates between Ebay and Pirateship- they were the same discounted rate.
I do agree that they getting a % commission out of the total including shipping fee is ridiculous.
Old 11-01-23, 11:53 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 330 Posts
To everybody who likes selling on ebay, I wish you nothing but the best.

But personally I'd rather donate all my bikes and parts to the local co-op than spend 5 minutes dealing with those clowns.
Likes For albrt:
Old 11-02-23, 12:07 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 522 Posts
Edit: Never-mind.

Last edited by polymorphself; 11-02-23 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-02-23, 09:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I don't sell much on eBay , but when I have , the fees are more than I originally calculate. I am not sure how that happens but I sold a bike for $750 this year and they kept over $100 in fees . The buyer picked the item up as it was listed as pick up only. Because I don't sell very often (mostly buy) they have held my money for 45 days even though the buyer paid and left a positive feedback. I have been an eBay participant for a very long time and it seems as though it has become less friendly and more fee based as time goes on.
Old 11-02-23, 10:42 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I do agree that they getting a % commission out of the total including shipping fee is ridiculous.
eBay started doing that over ten years ago, because sellers sold items for ten bucks with two hundred dollar shipping.

I recently listed some vintage parts with very fair starting prices or buy-it-nows. Much less activity compared to back in the day.
And they raised fees for a typical $100 item from about 12% to 15%. Kinda goes against the supply & demand business model.
If a buyer chooses local pickup with me, I sometimes try to get them to simply pay with cash upon showing up. Then we mutually agree to void the eBay sale.
Old 11-02-23, 11:03 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
eBay started doing that over ten years ago, because sellers sold items for ten bucks with two hundred dollar shipping.

I recently listed some vintage parts with very fair starting prices or buy-it-nows. Much less activity compared to back in the day.
And they raised fees for a typical $100 item from about 12% to 15%. Kinda goes against the supply & demand business model.
If a buyer chooses local pickup with me, I sometimes try to get them to simply pay with cash upon showing up. Then we mutually agree to void the eBay sale.
yes, that is telling.
Old 11-02-23, 11:30 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Figure on a 15% cut to eBay depending on the size of the sale and whether you are taking advantage of any free listing specials (note that free listing does not apply to final sale fees). That’s not far from the lising fee + 10% + 3% that used to be charged for eBay plus PayPal. They’re still the world’s largest marketplace for all kinds of stuff and as long as what you’re selling weighs less than a pound, USPS Ground Advantage is cheap (and buyers are willing to pay modest shipping charges these days). At the end of the day, they’re in business to do business and stay in business so yeah, they get a piece of the action. If you think they charge too much, use someone else.
Old 11-02-23, 11:53 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I've been selling grips I produce on eBay since 2010 and my sales have dropped considerably. So much so that I'm thinking of closing my business once I'm sold out of inventory. I've either saturated the market with my product, or people are steering clear of eBay. Maybe a little of both.

The fees seem a little high until I entertain the thought of developing/maintaining/paying for my own website.
Old 11-02-23, 08:52 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
A longtime ebay buyer as well here, a seller just offered via the eBay limited time discount price on a frameset.

Seller is four state's away.

Seller is using the eBay shipper system.

UPS ground rate is $391.44.

Not interested.
Old 11-03-23, 06:55 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hard to believe that's actually what eBay wants to charge for the shipping. The actual amount is often very different than the 'estimated' amount done at time of posting.
If you want the frame, ask him to BIN at the discounted price with NO shipping and then send him a label from BikeFlights or PirateShip once it's packed up and you know the box weight and dimensions.
Old 11-03-23, 07:19 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I've been selling grips I produce on eBay since 2010 and my sales have dropped considerably. So much so that I'm thinking of closing my business once I'm sold out of inventory. I've either saturated the market with my product, or people are steering clear of eBay. Maybe a little of both.

The fees seem a little high until I entertain the thought of developing/maintaining/paying for my own website.
It's not you, it's that buyers are moving away from eBay. Over the past couple of years, eBay has been increasingly flooded with high volumes of new junk that is direct shipped from China (and often it's deceptively drop-shipped using a straw US address). It drives buyers away.

The old school eBay buyer was the person looking for something specific, usually a vintage item or hard-to-find item. If you couldn't find it new, or it was out of production, eBay was the place to go. Now, if you do that same search, chances are you'll be flooded with unrelated junk items direct from China. I was searching for some 1940s era Schwinn road bike brake calipers awhile back, and I was getting flooded with direct-from-China cheap-o brakes for e-bikes. I was looking for a needle in the haystack, but eBay was making the haystack bigger. I'm sure other buyers have hit the same thing and given up.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 11-03-23, 07:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
It's not you, it's that buyers are moving away from eBay. Over the past couple of years, eBay has been increasingly flooded with high volumes of new junk that is direct shipped from China (and often it's deceptively drop-shipped using a straw US address). It drives buyers away.

The old school eBay buyer was the person looking for something specific, usually a vintage item or hard-to-find item. If you couldn't find it new, or it was out of production, eBay was the place to go. Now, if you do that same search, chances are you'll be flooded with unrelated junk items direct from China.
The eBay marketplace isn't the problem. It's the crappy search engine they use. I've got a standing search for "Bicycle Guide Magazine," Today, the top hits for that search are "The iOS12 iPad Guide Book," "Freestylin' Magazine," and about a billion various issues of "TV Guide." The search feature is virtually useless.

Last edited by smd4; 11-03-23 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-03-23, 08:29 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by smd4
The eBay marketplace isn't the problem. It's the crappy search engine they use. I've got a standing search for "Bicycle Guide Magazine," Today, the top hits for that search are "The iOS12 iPad Guide Book," "Freestyin' Magazine," and about a billion various issues of "TV Guide." The search feature is virtually useless.
X has led the way, invest in programming? That is so pre pandemic.
Old 11-03-23, 08:46 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Hard to believe that's actually what eBay wants to charge for the shipping. The actual amount is often very different than the 'estimated' amount done at time of posting.
If you want the frame, ask him to BIN at the discounted price with NO shipping and then send him a label from BikeFlights or PirateShip once it's packed up and you know the box weight and dimensions.
I had 2 ebay sales last year. One was a set of bars. I thought shipping aground $15, at least that was ebay told me when making the listing. Ebay then charged the buyer $35. I have no idea why. I had to send a $20 refund.
Old 11-03-23, 10:10 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I had 2 ebay sales last year. One was a set of bars. I thought shipping aground $15, at least that was ebay told me when making the listing. Ebay then charged the buyer $35. I have no idea why. I had to send a $20 refund.
Possibly it went international to Canada or further. When selling, I offer free domestic shipping. The buyer pays the added int'l portion.
I try my best to obtain a decent estimate, then build that into my pricing. With carriers constantly raising prices, it makes it somewhat problematic.
eBay's discounted shipping seems to work fairly well. For larger items, it helps to use the smallest box possible to avoid oversize charges.
Old 11-03-23, 10:41 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Recently, I've been seeing grips shipped direct from China for as low as $1.43 per pair, with free shipping. It's hard to compete against that.

Originally Posted by albrt
To everybody who likes selling on ebay, I wish you nothing but the best. But personally I'd rather donate all my bikes and parts to the local co-op than spend 5 minutes dealing with those clowns.
I haven't had too many problems as a seller on eBay - nearly all the buyers have been great, especially when it's a local sale. But I don't do a lot of eBay selling these days due to the depressed market in nearly everything bicycle-related except for old-school BMX. That being said, the sales I've made on BMX parts for the co-op recently brought in some decent money (well over $100 for 4 items).

Originally Posted by iab
eBay is notorious for "suggesting" packaging that absolutely won't fit the item, even after you enter dimensions and weight. I had to take down a listing when I clearly specified the shipping type and package size, but when the listing went live it showed the suggested (and completely wrong) shipping method as the default. When I complained to eBay, they said it was an "unfortunate bug" in the software and said they would eventually fix it. I will say that on recent sales eBay still initially suggests wildly inappropriate shipping (such as a flat rate envelope for a 7-speed freewheel), but once I go through the effort to override it it stays overridden.

As a business shipper, I agree that shipping is getting less and less affordable across the board, and eBay at least offers some discount.

About 4 years ago, I sold a full-up first generation Cannondale mountain bike in excellent condition in an eBay auction for a nonprofit. I could have parted it out and made more (XC friction group, rollercam brakes, etc.) but I thought it was "better" to keep the old bike intact. It only sold for $225, with $138 shipping (back then), but I got a nice note from the buyer thanking me for keeping the bike intact so he could enjoy it.
Old 11-03-23, 11:33 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
ya competing with the Chinese is impossible. My shipping alone is 5x their total asking price.