Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Figuring out what fat bike to buy!

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 03-11-22, 01:51 PM
Loopycow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I live up in the mountains and we regularly get snow, as a matter of fact it snowed a couple of inches last night. As gas prices are still rising and both my vehicles need engine rebuilds that I'm in the middle of learning how to do. I decided to buy a fat bike to get around and save gas. The farthest I would go is 20 miles round trip unless I'm planning on riding 80 miles to the next town. Lol. So this is my lean too idea for my build or bicycle vehicle. I want to run 27.5 by 4.5 tires for winter, needs to be a strong frame as I plan to build a light weight 36 by 36 inch trailer to haul groceries or my two 50 pound dogs around as well as doing laundry. I'm looking at a hardtail frame as I'm putting a small two stroke motor on it. Motor is 8.5 inch tall and 7 inch long. I want the thicker thread in axle shafts, I want front suspension or the ability to add it later, thinking about 120mm of shock up front. I want a straight handle bar as I plan to add accessories including speakers. Plan to run a 48v ebike battery to run a 12v system on the bike with headlight, tail light and turn signals, with underglow. At some point I'll run hydraulic disc brakes, but manual disc brakes are fine to start with. Also would like the option to add a dropper post. My budget for the plain fat bike maxes at 1,900. I do plan to tear bike to the frame and custom paint it when I first get it. What bike would you recommend that meets that need, plus is there any additional options you would recommend adding for the build?
Old 03-11-22, 02:19 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Old 03-11-22, 02:31 PM
Loopycow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Got to have dreams, I am serious though about the build. My best vehicle gets like 15 city. I honestly don't need it unless I get like 3 feet of snow, don't need to drive my truck either when gas is almost 5 dollars a gallon now. A fat bike would handle anything I could want and it saves me walking or tracking down rides for things. It also give me time to learn engine building and time to build my engines right as well as new clutches in both first gens.
Old 03-11-22, 09:36 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
For your needs I would look at a Yamaha YZ80.

Old 03-12-22, 12:56 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Loopycow
I Plan to run a 48v ebike battery to run a 12v system on the bike with headlight, tail light and turn signals, with underglow.
You shouldn't need that much battery unless you're going to put an electric motor on it. Also those peripherals more than likely will run on 12 volt so it'd probably make more sense to use a 12 volt battery. It'd be very unlikely you will be able to keep total cost with motor, trailer, battery, etc under $1900 unless you go lower quality gear. I recommend start pricing all of those parts and investigating all your plan would involve. The idea of forgoing the project and getting something that already has a motor is likely your better move. If your main concern is gas prices, you might be better off buying a used electric car.

I'd recommend posting your question here instead: https://motorbicycling.com/

This might save you some time: Phatmoto

Last edited by mtnbud; 03-12-22 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-14-22, 07:19 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Loopycow
Got to have dreams, I am serious though about the build. My best vehicle gets like 15 city. I honestly don't need it unless I get like 3 feet of snow, don't need to drive my truck either when gas is almost 5 dollars a gallon now. A fat bike would handle anything I could want and it saves me walking or tracking down rides for things. It also give me time to learn engine building and time to build my engines right as well as new clutches in both first gens.
More like pipe dreams. You're a candidate for a motor bike or ATV.
Old 03-14-22, 09:20 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Honestly - take a look at some of the e-bike fatties. Especially some marketed towards hunting, as they'll have lots of ways to carry stuff included, some with matching trailers. They're not cheap, but you'll quickly approach that price with your project.

I think in most jurisdictions the 2-stroke motor will make you considered a moped or motorcycle - though I think depending on where you are, e-bike classing can force you off-road or into some of the same license/registration/insurance requirements to be on the road.

On a quick search, after talking to a buddy who knows bikes and bought one of these for hunting, I think the QuietKat Apex looks nice - hydraulic brakes (so many of these bikes have mechanical, which blows my mind), mid-drive motor (better for higher-speed use, better balance) and pretty big 48V battery.

In this forum you're going to find folks more interested in recreational biking on trails, human powered.
Likes For Viich:
Old 03-17-22, 10:10 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Nothing in the plan is realistic. with that said and the stated budget find a mongoose dolomite preferable used. steel frame big triangle to fit a crappy 2 stroke. You wont fit your desired tire size on that but for the budget thats as much as you can afford for the bike itself anyway.
Old 03-17-22, 12:26 PM
prj71

Since your planning to put a 2 stroke on fat bike...You can probably buy a used motor bike with a 2 stroke motor and fatter tires for less money than this crazy project would cost.
Old 03-19-22, 05:19 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by whipnet
For your needs I would look at a Yamaha YZ80.

You are on the right track.