Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Soma tire questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Soma tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 07:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Soma tire questions

Anyone tried soma grand randoneer tires? They were fairly steeply discounted so I bought two pair. The ex in 650bx42 and the hd also in 650bx42. I was looking for pasela protites but they are real hard to come by and these were cheaper anyway. Just wondering if anyone had any experience.
Old 11-03-22, 11:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
No experience with Soma rando or touring tires, but I've been so satisfied with Soma Supple Vitesse SL in 700x23 on my go-fast road bike for going on two years, I'd happily try anything in the Soma lineup.

Only reason I bought the Supple Vitesse SL (superlight, less than 200 grams per 700x23 tire) was because at the time -- before the pandemic related economic crisis -- some Soma tires were dirt cheap in their online bargain/outlet bin. The 700x23 were $15 each at the time, so I bought four. I still haven't worn out the rear tire, or seen any nicks or cuts bad enough to warrant, umm... retiring it.

This far exceeded my expectations. The SL was marketed as an "open tub" type, a pro level racing tire in a folding bead clincher. At around 190 grams with paper thin skinwalls, I figured I'd get maybe 500 miles before they were worn out or slashed to pieces on our coarse chipseal. I installed Vittoria or Silca latex tubes in 'em to enjoy the ride while it lasted. A year later the latex tubes failed (at the valve base where latex tubes are sort of overlapped and glued together, but I had only a couple of punctures in a year and a couplafew thousand miles.

Yup, those tires got at least 2,000 miles on 'em, and the shallow squarish-pattern "tread" (also common to the cutesy named Rivendell tires, also made by Panaracer, like the Soma tires) still hasn't worn down to bare naked rubber.

These ultra-light clinchers have outlasted my best racey-ish tires -- Schwalbe One V-Guard, light, fast, but a bit fragile -- and even my favorite all-around road bike tires, the Continental GP Classic skinwalls with slight raised center tread and chevron tread in the shoulders for wet grip.

The cheapest Supple Vitesse SL tires have doubled in price to $30 each, still a bargain. And the regular full price is $60, still a very good value for such high quality.

I plan to try the slightly heavier, thicker tread Supple Vitesse EX next time.

But, yeah, I'd risk a few dollars on a set of any Soma tire based on that experience. As far as I know, all of Soma's fancy tires and Rivendell's cutesy named boutique tires are made by Panaracer, but I'm not sure Panaracer sells them directly to customers under their own marque. The Panaracer branded tires all appear to be very different types, mostly heavier and more utilitarian.
Old 11-04-22, 06:45 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Not yet, but I've got a pair of 650bx42 EX I bought on sale a while back that are waiting for the Hetres on my PX-10 to wear out. I hope the Somas are nicer riding than the Hetres- the Hetres are OK, but the 38c Rene Herse tires I've got on another bike feel better/more compliant. Kinda funny/interesting that they're all made by Panaracer....
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 11-04-22, 07:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I like the Soma tires, 28c SV
but they are nasty to initially install
tire Jack time.
after some time at pressure the Kevlar bead stretches and they can be serviced on the road.
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-04-22, 04:53 PM
dphilips

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I like the Soma tires, 28c SV
but they are nasty to initially install
tire Jack time.
after some time at pressure the Kevlar bead stretches and they can be serviced on the road.
That's a relief. I've been dreading the day I get a flat on mine (28 rear / 33 front on my "go fast" road bike).

The SV tires ride wonderfully. I was looking for a Rene Herse type tire at a lower price and they seem to fit the bill. (I have larger RH tires on other bikes.) One niggle is they are taller than they are wide, which is why I couldn't fit the 33 on the rear.