Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Velotoze Hack

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Velotoze Hack

Old 10-31-22, 10:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Velotoze Hack

I found putting on these things a real PITA. And without fenders in the rain I fond them useless. So for rainy days I am back to neoprene booties and fenders. I modified the Velotoze for ease of taking on and off for riding on wet/damp roads to keep my shoes dry. Should keep my feet a bit warmer on cool days as a bonus. And maybe more aero?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-01-22, 07:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Similar to the low cut version they make.

...not really sure what you 'hacked' here though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-01-22, 07:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
These remind me of the old fashioned "rubbers" we would use back in the 1970's on rainy days. Are those still a thing??
Old 11-01-22, 08:42 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
They make a neoprene version as well
Old 11-01-22, 08:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
These remind me of the old fashioned "rubbers" we would use back in the 1970's on rainy days. Are those still a thing??
Those are still made and still go by many different names.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-01-22, 09:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Sure... google Totes shoe covers (the umbrella company).
Old 11-01-22, 09:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Yeah, the Velotoze aren't really something I'm interested in trying to get over size 14US shoes.
If wet riding was my thing, I'd be doing something like these instead:
https://www.gripgrab.com/collections...ad-shoe-covers
Old 11-01-22, 09:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Similar to the low cut version they make.

...not really sure what you 'hacked' here though.
The low cut are fine for drizzle and road spray but if it’s really raining, you need to cover the tops of your socks or they’ll just wick the rain right into your shoes.
Old 11-01-22, 10:21 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I found putting on these things a real PITA. And without fenders in the rain I fond them useless. So for rainy days I am back to neoprene booties and fenders. I modified the Velotoze for ease of taking on and off for riding on wet/damp roads to keep my shoes dry. Should keep my feet a bit warmer on cool days as a bonus. And maybe more aero?

Fenders are a must in the PNW (to me; we have fender deniers here like everywhere). Exposed socks, as stated, are effective wicks in all cases. Exposed socks without fenders equals quick saturation.

For my commute and utility riding, I concur the Velotoze effort isn't worthwhile. 2x on/off daily would suck. I use waterproof hiking boots, flats, and low socks.

But for recreational/sport riding, Velotoze covering socks is workable. I have some Lake winter shoes that add warmth to the story, but are about as much a PITA to put on/take off.

With enough hours in enough rain, water will find a way, then you're just talking about warmth.
Old 11-01-22, 03:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by downtube42
Fenders are a must in the PNW (to me; we have fender deniers here like everywhere). Exposed socks, as stated, are effective wicks in all cases. Exposed socks without fenders equals quick saturation.

For my commute and utility riding, I concur the Velotoze effort isn't worthwhile. 2x on/off daily would suck. I use waterproof hiking boots, flats, and low socks.

But for recreational/sport riding, Velotoze covering socks is workable. I have some Lake winter shoes that add warmth to the story, but are about as much a PITA to put on/take off.

With enough hours in enough rain, water will find a way, then you're just talking about warmth.
Exactly. I used to bike commute from Lake City to the Kirkland waterfront and then Redmond for a couple of years in all sorts of weather. Fog I really hated when the temps were near freezing. In those days it was Gortex long pants with neoprene booties, ski socks and fenders. Now retired, I am more selective about when I choose to ride or Zwift instead. A light rain is fine but no more stinking down pours.

The best was a late spring ride when it was warm and not raining and being caught in a thunderstorm near 60 Acres park between Woodinville and Redmond. I went from dry to soaked to the bone in about 10 seconds. All I could do was laugh.

Old 11-01-22, 09:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The low cut are fine for drizzle and road spray but if it’s really raining, you need to cover the tops of your socks or they’ll just wick the rain right into your shoes.
...look at the OP's 'hack'. It's loose up top and cut lower. It's even more an issue for what you describe. I am not advocating for the product I cited, I just compared it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-03-22, 08:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...look at the OP's 'hack'. It's loose up top and cut lower. It's even more an issue for what you describe. I am not advocating for the product I cited, I just compared it.
As the “OP”, I stated, “I modified the Velotoze for ease of taking on and off for riding on wet/damp roads to keep my shoes dry”

“So for rainy days I am back to neoprene booties and fenders. “

Riding in my modified Velotoze on a rainy day is ludicrous. Even when they were still high top in heavy rain, without fenders, they were useless. With fenders and hightops might be OK, but am returning to good old neoprene.

Old 11-08-22, 09:52 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
The easiest way to get velotoze on is to put it a sock inside the veltoze first, put the sock on, push your foot all the way through so the velotoze is around your shin, then put your shoe on and put the velotoze around your shoe. Sooooo much easier. I'll see if I can find the video that's floating around and post a link
Likes For rivers:
Old 11-08-22, 10:03 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Velotoze hack " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Velotoze hack " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post