Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

IF Increase speed is important, what would you do?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

IF Increase speed is important, what would you do?

Old 11-18-22, 10:46 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My damage is probably from doing competitive group rides with folks who were younger than I, for years. .
I did this for years, too. 100 club rides per year and I started having irregular heart rate in 2017. Doctors came up with nothing and my insurance denied a cardiologist consultation. Fought with them for 6 months and by then the symptoms resolved.

After I retired and started trying to build back the heart got wonky again in July 2021 and is only recently getting better. Doc said I have COPD but don't know if the symptoms are related. If I don't red-line my heart rate for hours it seems to be ok now.

Several guys I know have had a-fib and have switched to e-bikes and one had an ablation. It seems to affect people who trained at a high level for years. One woman I know had issues that also resolved and she is kicking butt again @65.
Old 11-18-22, 02:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's a bit of a generalisation as there are plenty of longer term plans online too. I do agree with needing an annual plan. Short plans are not usually sustainable e.g. most of the Zwift plans are designed as starter, booster or event build-up plans.
Online long plans sources, please?
Old 11-18-22, 05:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I find the Zwift plans too generic and too focused on short term gains to use effectively all year round. Plans from the likes of TrainerRoad and Wahoo SYSTM allow for a mixture of indoor and outdoor rides. They can also be tailored more effectively for older riders (e.g. 2-1 vs 3-1 build/recovery weeks) and key target events.

This year I've beed using a new App called PILLAR, which builds a custom adaptive training plan (similar to Xert I think, although I haven't used Xert). With PILLAR I can schedule all my outdoor rides and events and the App builds an adaptive training plan around them. At the end of each week I provide basic feedback on my physical and mental fatigue and the plan adapts for the following week. I can even schedule in holidays and other times I'm not available to ride, along with maximum daily/weekly time constraints. This allows me to build a pretty customised annual plan around all my other commitments. The other thing I like about PILLAR is that it evaluates every ride against the target session for that day. So for example I could do a hard Zwift race instead of a planned VO2 max interval session and PILLAR will evaluate my Zwift ride against the targets for the planned interval session. I can also use my favourite workouts from other Apps instead of PILLAR by matching the target intensity and duration. So I often use individual Wahoo SYSTM workouts, but within my PILLAR training plan rather than a more generic SYSTM training plan. You could do the same choosing individual Zwift workouts within a long term plan built from PILLAR.

If you are interested here's a link to PILLAR. They are UK based (not that it matters for the user) and I think it's still free to use in beta - but they are about to move to a modest subscription model. I have no affiliation to them other than as a user and beta-tester.

https://www.pillar-app.com
Loaded Pillar and will give it a go. So far it says I’m in the red or negative. Ooops. Thanks!

Old 11-18-22, 07:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Pillar does have a provision to select Short,Medium or long duration plans. They are not defined, but for free, you could give it a look see. Use the link above to get the full name of Pillar since it doesn’t automatically show using just Pillar.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-19-22, 09:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Pillar is designed for long term use.
TrainerRoad have a long term plan builder
Training Peaks has loads of annual plans
Wahoo SYSTM plans are short (12 week) but you can build a long term plan using their modular building blocks.

Pillar is free at the moment as they are relatively new. But they are likely to move to a subscription model, at least for adaptive training plans. I've been using their platform since April and find it perfect for my needs as a Sportive/Fondo rider. It allows plenty of scope to add in group rides, events, races etc alongside structural workouts. They are also planning to add in multi-sports and strength training - at least in terms of added training stress for the adaptive plan.
Likes For PeteHski: