Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Average Speed Progression?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cyclist Average Speed Progression?

Old 12-08-19, 08:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'll be a dissenting voice and say that speed does matter. Even though I was already a cat 1 by that point, when I started focusing on speed, really focusing, it helped. I started podiuming way more. I got in more breaks, and I won from more breaks. And the name of the game when you're trying to win from breaks is to go as fast as possible with as little effort as possible.
A lot of that speed revolved around position, but tube/tire choice and aero clothing and equipment also played a part.

As far as going from a cat 5 to a cat 1, your ability to get to the pointy end, stay there, and sprint will determine that more than any other single variable. Some guys do it in two years, some in 6-7, the vast majority never do it. I reckon a category a year is pretty solid, but the proliferation of events in your area and how many you do will have a big impact on upgrade speed. The more you race, the better you get at racing. As a junior, that means as many junior races followed by categorized races as you can do. Get the upgrade to 4 as soon as possible and do jr 17/18, cat 4/5, and cat 3/4 races. Look for something to learn in every single race, and figure out how to put yourself into position to win at the end.

I’ll actually agree some here.

I am not the strongest hammer ride guy or novice TT guy at all.

But, I focus a lot on optimization of my equipment within my budget. I wax my chains instead of tossing lube on a nasty chain. Run latex in good gp5000’s. Decent aero wheels. Good positions. Save watts like crazy.

I am close now to being perfectly comfy doing IAB. That took a while. I’ve done it recently first time on the hammer ride. Was enough when pulling to have the weaker guy behind me lose the wheel.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-08-19, 08:32 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Read what Carleton has said about power. He seems to be one who is extremely knowledgeable about its use in that particular venue.
Carlton has his own opinions & I responded in that thread with my own limited experience with 2 Track meters. We could continue this discussion in a separate thread here or in the Track Forum if you have anything of substance to add? Use of power data for anaerobic development is an interesting subject.

I'de be more interested in Hermes power file for 500m Been thinking about that and 2K this season if I can find the time for a long drive to the track often enough. It's at least close to being back on topic.
Likes For Voodoo76:
Old 12-08-19, 08:48 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Ha. So much this.

Have a 420 watt FTP and you can write the book on tactics at nearly every race you go to.
Yea, you can be a tactical genius! Coming from a life time of hang on for the sprint & pick up whatever crumbs were left, I've often wondered what it would be like to actually have tactics early in a race.

Agree on your basic premise of finding speed. In particular aero clothing gives a huge boost, especially in the wind. A bonus, for me is a speed suit is more comfortable than bibs/jersey on hot days.
Likes For Voodoo76:
Old 12-08-19, 12:07 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
Yea, I've had to point this out before, I weigh 61kg so 4.8 is really only around 285 watts, 5 minute power being around 340s. My best 5 second power is a paltry 817 watts, I'm also pretty darn scared around corners, descending, and in fast groups. In a typical race I'll stay near the front looking for breaks if there's any type of an incline, but on the twisty roads and descents I'll end up in the back pretty easily, then having to work my way back up to the front on the hills (exact opposite of what you actually want to do to correctly conserve energy). SO, in order for me to win a race it'll need to be an uphill finish (the longer the better), without any breaks going before me (unless I'm in that break). That's really it, downhill or flat finishes I'll get outsprinted easily and I can't solo breakaway without my FTP being in at least the 300s regardless of weight (I've tried...).

However, I'm lovin Zwift races!
It may be a hike for you to go do one, but USAC does do hill climb TT's in some mountain areas. They do one in Asheville NC or nearby each year. You'd destroy that!

Also, it seems like it isn't the ftp around here, or how much you weigh. It's all about how many watts you can do for around 1 to 3 minutes and repeat a few times.

That's why on my super minimal training time I can finish mid-pack and front 1/3.....I do a ton of hiit work on a time crunch schedule. So, I've really good 30sec to 3min power for a 4/5 but my hour power lags really far behind. But, I'm trying to improve that this off season.

My power curve from sprint to hour goes down hard after about 8min. Then again down hard after 20min. People with more time on their hands, and more base in the engine, that curve tapers off a little slower. So it seems.
Old 12-08-19, 01:50 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Carlton has his own opinions & I responded in that thread with my own limited experience with 2 Track meters. We could continue this discussion in a separate thread here or in the Track Forum if you have anything of substance to add? Use of power data for anaerobic development is an interesting subject.
Were you the on who had the power meter which the lagging cadence data? If you dig deep enough in the two threads on power meters, there is a lot of information on the use of power data in training. If you started a new thread on the use of power in sprint training I would definitely follow it. I don’t know much about it, but I do like reading from the guys who do.
Old 12-08-19, 07:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Check your buddy's thread and buy some speed. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...can-i-buy.html
Old 12-10-19, 10:42 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
It may be a hike for you to go do one, but USAC does do hill climb TT's in some mountain areas. They do one in Asheville NC or nearby each year. You'd destroy that!

Also, it seems like it isn't the ftp around here, or how much you weigh. It's all about how many watts you can do for around 1 to 3 minutes and repeat a few times.

That's why on my super minimal training time I can finish mid-pack and front 1/3.....I do a ton of hiit work on a time crunch schedule. So, I've really good 30sec to 3min power for a 4/5 but my hour power lags really far behind. But, I'm trying to improve that this off season.

My power curve from sprint to hour goes down hard after about 8min. Then again down hard after 20min. People with more time on their hands, and more base in the engine, that curve tapers off a little slower. So it seems.
Sounds like all sorts of fun, wish we had events like that here... I'm gearing up for long-distance this year though, goals like a successful Everesting, a moderately fast 300mi ride... even taking up running (if I could get that anywhere near my cycling ability it'd be awesome because skills like cornering, being in a group, etc. are far less of a concern).
Old 12-10-19, 10:58 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
While it's pretty obvious that there are better metrics than speed, I do have to remember that the OP is at least a newbie to this forum, and maybe to cycling. Power meters are expensive and, let's admit it, a luxury items for most of us. It's much cheaper to buy a bike computer that tells you speed, so for some that may be the only metric they have.
Likes For CarloM: