Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Miyata 1000!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Miyata 1000!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 07:42 AM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Bikes: Marinoni, Bianchi, Peugeot, Raleigh, CCM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Sold my 1986

Originally Posted by guelphite
Hi,
Finally finished my 1986 Miyata 1000.
Not as nice as the one above but it had a stuck seat post which both was salvaged. Only took a few months.
Chainrings were taken apart, completely overhauled plus rear wheel was rebuilt due to serious chain suck. Previous owner did not appreciate this classic!
Still have to trim mud guard struts but that will be done in the Spring after a few more projects.
Not as light as my Marinoni Tourismo but still a classic.
May sell in Spring due to volume.

Overall view of right side

Front of Miyata

Close-up of cranks

Close-up of rear derailleur

Detail of seat post/saddle

Detail of shifters, stem and head set

Front hub
Just to let you all know that I sold my 1986 Miyata 1000.

Weird though, even though this bike is an engineered classic, I’ve had young people asking for wider tires than 32mm, smaller front cranks and larger freewheel.
I tried to explain the wider the tire, the increased road resistance. The young man told me that it “was my opinion”. Not opinion but physics.
He started adding up the cost to update the upgrades and I advised him to get a ‘modern’ bike.
Modern isn’t necessarily better.
Anyways good talking to you all.
Happy Trails.
Old 05-02-21, 09:25 PM
cycledog1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
the old addage that smaller/thinner 23/25/28mm w tires are faster than wider tires is a falacy, and its been proven countless times in the last 5 yrs by Jan Heine and a few others. there's lots of documentation, Bicycle Quarterly and Road Bike Action mags both endorse bigger tires and wider rims for the comfort and no loss of speed.

these miyata 1000's generally take up to 35mm wide and ride great with that width, but 32mm works really well.

the larger cassette/compact chainrings/compact crank work well, especially when they are 46-30 and combined with bar end shifters. it thourghly "modernizes the 1000 and works exceptionally well. here's one I'm selling in my region, complete with compact bar and VO detachable faceplate stem, Phil wood rebuilt wheels with velocity rims. only thing not updated is the cassette, to be done by the new owner to their spec

Old 05-03-21, 04:45 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Revelate Ripio frame bag

Hey all, Miyata 1000 owner here. Has anyone here used a Revelate Ripio frame bag on their 1000? Revelate has a template that one can print out and I am on the verge of doing so BUT would be nice to hear from someone that uses a bag like this. How does it fit and what size bike and bag did you use. My bike is a 58

Thanks
Old 05-16-21, 05:19 AM
MrBeebs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Would anyone be offended if I uploaded my Miyata with brifters?
Old 05-16-21, 06:56 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBeebs
Would anyone be offended if I uploaded my Miyata with brifters?
On the contrary; I would be psyched.
Old 05-16-21, 07:02 PM
sallen73

Bikes: 1988 Ross Centaur, 2010 Fuji Connoisseur, 2015 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2017 Raleigh Carlton, 1987 Team Miyata, 2012 Soma Stanyan, 2015 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1984 Miyata 1000, [2009 Scattante SSR], [1988 Falcon Competitor 105], [2016 Soma Wolverine]

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I finally (finally!) got my Miyata 1000 set up for Gravel Worlds and rode it this morning! After many grand ideas (most of which didn't work out) I ended up staying pretty close to stock; visually the biggest changes are switching to mustache bars and the Shimano Acera rear derailleur.
I need to tweak the saddle height, I'm not convinced about the full toe clips (and I haven't even installed the straps yet!), and I'm already thinking about moving the brake levers inboard, but my (admittedly) short ride this morning gave me hope that I will be able to ride her 150 miles in late August Nebraska heat.
Likes For sallen73:
Old 05-16-21, 07:19 PM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by belacqua
On the contrary; I would be psyched.
Unfortunately I need to hit 10 messages before I can post an image or link to external site. Will just reply to other bikes in the mean time
Old 05-19-21, 04:36 AM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by sallen73
I finally (finally!) got my Miyata 1000 set up for Gravel Worlds and rode it this morning! After many grand ideas (most of which didn't work out) I ended up staying pretty close to stock; visually the biggest changes are switching to mustache bars and the Shimano Acera rear derailleur.
I need to tweak the saddle height, I'm not convinced about the full toe clips (and I haven't even installed the straps yet!), and I'm already thinking about moving the brake levers inboard, but my (admittedly) short ride this morning gave me hope that I will be able to ride her 150 miles in late August Nebraska heat.
Really fascinated by the mustache bar setup. Never seen a bike like this before

Kind of seems like a flat bar bike but the bar ends are at least usable. Or is there more to it than that?
Old 05-19-21, 04:43 AM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by cycledog1
the old addage that smaller/thinner 23/25/28mm w tires are faster than wider tires is a falacy, and its been proven countless times in the last 5 yrs by Jan Heine and a few others. there's lots of documentation, Bicycle Quarterly and Road Bike Action mags both endorse bigger tires and wider rims for the comfort and no loss of speed.

these miyata 1000's generally take up to 35mm wide and ride great with that width, but 32mm works really well.

the larger cassette/compact chainrings/compact crank work well, especially when they are 46-30 and combined with bar end shifters. it thourghly "modernizes the 1000 and works exceptionally well. here's one I'm selling in my region, complete with compact bar and VO detachable faceplate stem, Phil wood rebuilt wheels with velocity rims. only thing not updated is the cassette, to be done by the new owner to their spec
That's super clean. If I was to go back to bar end, the setup wouldn't be too far off this one.

100% agree with the tyres. I ended up going with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 35mm.

I found 32-35mm was my sweet spot for comfort to responsiveness.
38mm just felt a bit unresponsive when wanting quick turns / boaty (could just be in my mind) and 28mm still felt too many bumps.

I wish more modern bikes took 32-35mm with rim brakes, but there's only a few I've seen.
As much as I do think disc brakes are better performance wise, it's hard to pass up how cheap + easy it is to work on modern rim brakes of all varieties.
Old 05-19-21, 04:48 AM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by guelphite
Just to let you all know that I sold my 1986 Miyata 1000.
I tried to explain the wider the tire, the increased road resistance. The young man told me that it “was my opinion”. Not opinion but physics.
Not 100% I agree that wider tire = increased road resistance. There's a lot more influencing factors with regards to tyre pressure.

Generally people do lower the tyre pressure with wider tyres but you dont have to.

It reminds me of Bicycles Rolling Resistance test of the Marathon GP5000's at different sizes & tyre pressures.

"A bigger road bike tire (at least the Continental GP 4000 and GP 5000) provides a lower rolling resistance at the same air pressure. You do have to realize that at the same air pressure, a bigger tire will provide a less comfortable ride.At the 15% tire drop air pressures, which are very close to the recommended air pressures for a given size, the tables are turned and a bigger road bike tire will have a higher rolling resistance. The higher rolling resistance of the bigger tire is because it provides more comfort at the 15% tire drop air pressure."
Old 05-19-21, 09:16 AM
cycledog1

Originally Posted by MrBeebs
That's super clean. If I was to go back to bar end, the setup wouldn't be too far off this one.

100% agree with the tyres. I ended up going with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 35mm.

I found 32-35mm was my sweet spot for comfort to responsiveness.
38mm just felt a bit unresponsive when wanting quick turns / boaty (could just be in my mind) and 28mm still felt too many bumps.

I wish more modern bikes took 32-35mm with rim brakes, but there's only a few I've seen.
As much as I do think disc brakes are better performance wise, it's hard to pass up how cheap + easy it is to work on modern rim brakes of all varieties.
I agree on the tires, I'm sitting at 35's with both my disc bikes.

On brakes, thats somewhat true for the maintenance, only because thats what you and I grew up with. I'm learning now to work with my disc brakes and once you get it, its like derailleurs and and chain lengths, you know the process and just do it. its easy.

I like the simplicy of my rim brake bikes, many of them --------- love riding them, they are only 25mm tires on all but the b stone x0-1, but they stop fast and hard in the dry.
Old 05-20-21, 03:04 AM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by cycledog1
I agree on the tires, I'm sitting at 35's with both my disc bikes.
On brakes, thats somewhat true for the maintenance, only because thats what you and I grew up with. I'm learning now to work with my disc brakes and once you get it, its like derailleurs and and chain lengths, you know the process and just do it. its easy.
I like the simplicy of my rim brake bikes, many of them --------- love riding them, they are only 25mm tires on all but the b stone x0-1, but they stop fast and hard in the dry.
What tyres did you go with for 35mm?

I've got some RH tyres but didn't feel it was worth the extra price. I understand they don't have the advantage of mass production but I'm also not a super picky rider.

Yeah, I partially agree with you regarding discs. It's just pads are like $10 vs $25 (AUD here) + only need to worry about tightening a cable.
Don't need to worry about new disc or bleeding a system.
I also get a lot less brake noise.

The biggest advantages to disc to me are:
- Easy to go between 650b and 700c
- All weather conditions are no problem
- Wheels being slightly out of alignment less of a concern

Anyway, not long till I can upload a photo of my bike

Going to move it from a 2x11 to a 1x10 setup shortly too! Will get photos of both
Old 05-20-21, 08:28 AM
cycledog1

MrBeebs- I have 35mm in R Herse as well as what would now be Donnelly, but were Clement. as far as whether or not they are worth the price, it depends on what you are wanting out of them. puncture resistance on the RH is average, the Donnelly's are better at punctures, not as light or fast. tradeoff i guess.

yes, rim brakes will always be easier and work great in the dry. for much bigger tyres, however, disc is the only way --------- 38mm and up. below that, cantis work great if you have Pauls, over and above all others.

the miyata 1000 was sold last week, keeping my rebuilt xo-1. these pauls stop fast and feel great. the are the ultimate rim brakes. the tires btw on this bike are panaracer pasela's, 26"x38mm,

they make them in 700c x 35mm

they may be more durable and as fast as the others, and go on easy.
Likes For cycledog1:
Old 05-21-21, 05:15 AM
MrBeebs

This is my do it all. I use it to commute and to de-stress. i.e. No HRM, no Strava, no music.

Started life with original spec parts on it but they were in poor condition. Loved how it rode though and the fact I could fit up to 38mm tyres onto it with standard width hubs.

It's been through a few evolutions but I'll list what I've got here.

- 105 11sp brifters + 34-50T crankset + 11-32T cassette + RD (loving the almost 1:1 ratio for uphills with a backpack)
- C17 saddle (much prefer it over B17, and its all weather)
- DT Swiss wheels (great price, good weight, decent aero, silent. Will only buy these from now on)
- 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (great balance of price, performance and puncture resistance)
- Thomson seat post (over priced, seems okay, wouldn't do again)
- Shimano CX50 brakes (so easy to setup, highly recommend to everyone for their Miyata 1000's with the shorter post widths)
- Catalyst Evo pedals (almost as good as clipless, I ruptured my achilles so prefer riding with flat sole shoes)
- Ritcheys Ergomax bars (pretty good and would recommend for any road bike)
- Velo Orange stem (best looking one with 31.8mm. Happy for other recommendations)

Next change and photos will be after conversion to 1x 42T + 11-48T Microshift setup with Venturemax bars.

Last edited by MrBeebs; 05-21-21 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 08:28 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Love these tires on this bicycle...has splits between the white wall and the tread...rubber is kinda hard and slippery feeling...

Last pair of Hardshells! 700/32c..l

They look great and ride better!

...from these...

Also changed the pedals...to these...

...better picture...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 05-23-21, 09:17 PM
cycledog1

nice conversion, much better than the orig. well done!!
Old 05-23-21, 10:24 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1

is that half step gearing? how is it that the front derailleur's inner cage plate doesn't hit your middle ring? do you have the derailleur mounted up higher than usual? and, it works?
Likes For thook:
Old 05-24-21, 04:07 AM
billnuke1 

!

Originally Posted by thook
is that half step gearing? how is it that the front derailleur's inner cage plate doesn't hit your middle ring? do you have the derailleur mounted up higher than usual? and, it works?
Yup, half step...nope, doesn’t hit the inner ring...nope, never had to touch the front derailleur...
I took it out yesterday on the Canal...absolutely a stunning rider!
Effortless, seamless shifting...
I’ll take a close up picture of that area as time allows...
Old 05-24-21, 10:10 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Yup, half step...nope, doesn’t hit the inner ring...nope, never had to touch the front derailleur...
I took it out yesterday on the Canal...absolutely a stunning rider!
Effortless, seamless shifting...
I’ll take a close up picture of that area as time allows...
so, is it a regular deore dx derailleur? i ask because i have tried a half step with a dx and had to mount the derailleur higher as the plate would hit the inner ring on a 46/42 tooth configuration. it worked, but i eventually abandoned it because it looked odd...haha
Old 05-24-21, 04:26 PM
billnuke1 

Yep...she’s high...and just a bit over serviced! Full disclosure...Liquid Wrench Chain & Cable...messy...seems to work...
Old 05-29-21, 09:49 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Yep...she’s high...and just a bit over serviced! Full disclosure...Liquid Wrench Chain & Cable...messy...seems to work...
oh. man...i wish you'd quoted or tagged me. i didn't realize you posted this. anyway, thanks!! one last question, if you don't mind? are those rings not ramped and pinned?
Old 05-30-21, 07:59 AM
billnuke1 

?!

oh. man...i wish you'd quoted or tagged me. i didn't realize you posted this. anyway, thanks!! one last question, if you don't mind? are those rings not ramped and pinned?

No pins! No ramps!

Ridden! Gritty!
Old 05-31-21, 01:01 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

No pins! No ramps!

Ridden! Gritty!
did your miyata change colors all of a sudden?
Old 05-31-21, 06:15 AM
billnuke1 

?!

did your miyata change colors all of a sudden?
Nope...

Last edited by billnuke1; 05-31-21 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Words
Old 05-31-21, 06:42 AM
billnuke1 

Oooops!

Nope...

Ha! Lost my mind for a little while! I’ll be back with the Miyata later...just gotta set my GPS on “Miyata”...
l’m kinda going through some stuff right now... I’ll be back in Bill’s Bicycle World later today...right now, my life parts, good and bad, are all vying for attention...my bicycles were always my Happy Place...I guess no major bicycle projects for now...luckily, I have a bunch of bicycles ready to ride right now...actually, this was always my end plan...

Last edited by billnuke1; 05-31-21 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Squirrel..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.