Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weird rules for the group ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weird rules for the group ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 12:40 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
This is the best thread ever.
Old 06-24-21, 02:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I don't do group rides, since most of them require helmets, regardless of who's organizing it. I certainly don't do "kits".
Just tell them how committed you are to the organ donor program, they may make an exception.
Old 06-24-21, 02:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
So, about the crash - what descent was it? What happened? Come into a turn too hot and slide out?

The thing about road bikes vs hybrids is that road bikes are built to be stable at speed, whereas hybrids are meant to be comfortable. You may be able to keep up with the ride on the flat on a hybrid - especially if you're drafting them - because that's just a question of legs and gears. The descent is where the road bike will be faster, because it's more stable.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-24-21, 02:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
I get a chuckle out of dudes "racing" when I'm not racing. Dial it up to 600 & kick my ass so bad I don't even know I'm getting kicked!
Yeah, but it's always fun to pretend.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-24-21, 03:35 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
LarrySellerz, you rock. I love how you’re the total anti-racerboi. You can ride with me anytime. In fact, I know of a weekly late night group ride that you’d fit right into.

I’m not surprised at all that the club asked you to go somewhere else. As I started into this thread, I wondered why they’d insist you have a biking kit or jersey. (The helmet and waiver I understand.) As more of the story comes out, I realize it’s not a particular kind of shirt they’re looking for, they just don’t want you shirtless. And there may be valid reasons for that.

I think of the guy on a $15k Pinarello. He’s decked out with 12 speed wireless electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brakes, an $800 kit never more than one season old, and lots of gear from Rapha. All the carbon fiber and titanium accessories. (And don’t forget the Garmin Edge 5 million XL+ Plus, to show Strava where he rode!)...

That guy is legit, usually. Probably can hold his own at a spirited club ride or amateur race. But so can some guys on a 5 year old Specialized aluminum frame, with Tiagra group, a lock cable wrapped around the seat post and a Bell bell clamped to the handlebar...

And then there are the guys like you, my friend, who are just as capable athletically and get just as much enjoyment from jumping on their damn bike and riding, as often as possible.

Don’t ever stop Larry-ing! Those guys in the club have their thing covered, but who’s going to do, um... what you’re about? That’s right—no one else.

(I kind of imagine you after your ride calling to Peter in the apartment next door to check out the breast exam on channel 9.)

Last edited by Broctoon; 06-24-21 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 06-24-21, 04:29 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If you really wanna irk the $15k Pinarello guy, rock up on a tall bike next time.

Old 06-24-21, 04:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Kimmo
If you really wanna irk the $15k Pinarello guy, rock up on a tall bike next time.

That appears to be a tall fat bike. Do they sell those at the Big And Tall Men's Shop in the mall?

Old 06-24-21, 05:14 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I would be concerned about speed wobble on that.
Old 06-24-21, 06:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
C'mon man, you know tenacity and persistence are a cyclist's best traits. Why let them get the satisfaction of never seeing you show up again? You should start with "hey guys, great ride last time" or something like that and do what you do. Please do this. It will pay off. Just let us know how it all unfolds.
Nah too many slow freds on that ride
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-24-21, 06:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
What, the ride that dropped you?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-24-21, 06:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
I would be concerned about speed wobble on that.
The absence of brakes will kill you first.

Old 06-24-21, 06:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
So, about the crash - what descent was it? What happened? Come into a turn too hot and slide out?

The thing about road bikes vs hybrids is that road bikes are built to be stable at speed, whereas hybrids are meant to be comfortable. You may be able to keep up with the ride on the flat on a hybrid - especially if you're drafting them - because that's just a question of legs and gears. The descent is where the road bike will be faster, because it's more stable.
Page mill road... first time descending it. I had heard it was technical and had been deliberately avoiding it because I was worried this would happen. The bike isn't the issue so much as the handler, I just am not good at cornering. I guess I entered the corner too fast but it was weird, I like couldn't turn and kinda froze up and hit the brakes. ended up hitting the curb and doing a superman into the dirt and grass. Bike ended up 10-15 feet away with a badly out of true back wheel. It was the kind of crash that could have been horrific and I got off lucky, wore a helmet these past two days. Kind of salty that the Egan ride succeeded in making me wear a helmet but whatever.

They slow roll between hills and I think would have dropped more than half of them but there are definitely some fast dudes. They only dropped me because as soon as the first person passed me I pulled over to the side and let everyone pass, but it was a small group that caught me at first. Also they yelled at me for passing them when they are literally going 12 MPH taking up the entire road, if you don't want me riding with you how the hell are you going to complain when cyclists have to cross the double yellow when passing. I only passed them because another cyclist went past them (forced into the wrong lane) and I decided to follow.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-24-21 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 06:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, if you're low on the learning curve for descending, trying to follow an experienced group down Page Mill is a recipe for.... well, what you experienced. Go do it a few more times, but solo, at your own pace, not trying to keep up with anyone. Or climb up Old La Honda and go down 84, which is not as steep and also wider.

And remember to panic BEFORE the turn, so you brake too much then feel like a chicken rolling slowly through the turn, instead of coming in too hot, panicking, and grabbing handfuls of brake at the wrong time.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-24-21, 06:58 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I get that! Don't lower yourself.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 06-24-21, 07:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Yeah, if you're low on the learning curve for descending, trying to follow an experienced group down Page Mill is a recipe for.... well, what you experienced. Go do it a few more times, but solo, at your own pace, not trying to keep up with anyone. Or climb up Old La Honda and go down 84, which is not as steep and also wider.

And remember to panic BEFORE the turn, so you brake too much then feel like a chicken rolling slowly through the turn, instead of coming in too hot, panicking, and grabbing handfuls of brake at the wrong time.
I wasn't following anyone, gave them like a 45 second head start so I wouldn't "be riding" with them. I think I actually want to follow some experienced cyclists down hills and see how they take corners. Some guy was bombing down kings faster than id ever seen the other day and it really made me realize how fast you can take corners. Last time I hit my head in a crash was down 84 when I was 19 years old, first time descending it. I guess I have a knack for eating **** the first time I go down a long hill....

Thanks for that advice, ive heard that before.. I just need practice.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-24-21 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 08:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6938 Post(s)
Liked 10,942 Times in 4,676 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just tell them how committed you are to the organ donor program, they may make an exception.
Right on! I'll be needing a new liver soon.
Old 06-24-21, 08:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Broctoon
LarrySellerz, you rock. I love how you’re the total anti-racerboi. You can ride with me anytime. In fact, I know of a weekly late night group ride that you’d fit right into.

I’m not surprised at all that the club asked you to go somewhere else. As I started into this thread, I wondered why they’d insist you have a biking kit or jersey. (The helmet and waiver I understand.) As more of the story comes out, I realize it’s not a particular kind of shirt they’re looking for, they just don’t want you shirtless. And there may be valid reasons for that.

I think of the guy on a $15k Pinarello. He’s decked out with 12 speed wireless electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brakes, an $800 kit never more than one season old, and lots of gear from Rapha. All the carbon fiber and titanium accessories. (And don’t forget the Garmin Edge 5 million XL+ Plus, to show Strava where he rode!)...

That guy is legit, usually. Probably can hold his own at a spirited club ride or amateur race. But so can some guys on a 5 year old Specialized aluminum frame, with Tiagra group, a lock cable wrapped around the seat post and a Bell bell clamped to the handlebar...

And then there are the guys like you, my friend, who are just as capable athletically and get just as much enjoyment from jumping on their damn bike and riding, as often as possible.

Don’t ever stop Larry-ing! Those guys in the club have their thing covered, but who’s going to do, um... what you’re about? That’s right—no one else.

(I kind of imagine you after your ride calling to Peter in the apartment next door to check out the breast exam on channel 9.)
Thanks man, i'm living in the bay area so most of the cyclists are relatively rich professionals, I try to bring that working class energy to the table. Used to deliver food and we have our own distinct minimalist culture thats just as silly as the roadie lycra culture. A lot of people get a kick out of seeing me out there defying the conspicuous consumption that seems to me to be a relatively recent trend in cycling (could be wrong about that). Some people forget that for most people cycling is a poor mans transportation to get from point A to point B. I have nothing against the roadie look and think fat dudes on 15k bikes are killing it even if they aren't fast, hell I might join them if I actually get to the point where I feel my bike is holding me back

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-24-21 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 09:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
As stated already, clubs have insurance and all the ones i've ridden with require a helmet and ask you to sign a "sign in" sheet with your name and emergency contact info. Some require both front and rear lights.

If you don't agree to their rules, you are free not not ride with them or start your own club.

And tagging along anyway is rude.

I've been on solo rides when passed by a large group and I ask permission if I can join in. If they are on a training ride, then I drop off. It's called RESPECT.

Hope you recover from your crash and please.. wear a helmet.
Old 06-24-21, 09:43 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Thanks man, i'm living in the bay area so most of the cyclists are relatively rich professionals, I try to bring that working class energy to the table. Used to deliver food and we have our own distinct minimalist culture thats just as silly as the roadie lycra culture. A lot of people get a kick out of seeing me out there defying the conspicuous consumption that seems to me to be a relatively recent trend in cycling (could be wrong about that). Some people forget that for most people cycling is a poor mans transportation to get from point A to point B. I have nothing against the roadie look and think fat dudes on 15k bikes are killing it even if they aren't fast, hell I might join them if I actually get to the point where I feel my bike is holding me back
Never forget the political dimension of cycling. It pretty much sparked first wave feminism.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-24-21, 10:23 PM
LarrySellerz

Never forget the political dimension of cycling. It pretty much sparked first wave feminism.
really?
Old 06-24-21, 10:38 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

really?
Oh yeah, cycling opened up a lot of horizons. Not to mention triggering the development of ball bearings, pneumatic tyres, paved roads, and so on...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycling_and_feminism
Old 06-25-21, 05:59 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
really?
A true statement. The history (1890's and forward) of the impact the bicycle had on our country is pretty fascinating.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 06-25-21, 06:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
and didn't sign a waver,
You don't need to sign a contract to wave.
Likes For znomit:
Old 06-25-21, 09:18 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
The lycra stuff is fine with me but we have some areas (like Boulder) where you do find these groups of snobbish and elitist cyclists. I have no interest in joining them or their rides, since a lot of that attitude (and probably personality) is contrived. Many are naturally dicks, as a few of my friends have discovered when trying to join up. It is best to let them wallow in those bubbles and not enter, Roadies tend to be more that way than mountain bikers.
Old 06-25-21, 09:31 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
What, the ride that dropped you?
He gets passed going up hills and does descents slowly. Maybe, he's fast on the flats.
Likes For njkayaker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.