Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Getting a wahoo kickr

Old 02-03-23, 01:47 PM
Tipmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Getting a wahoo kickr

Family recently moved to our home in Carlsbad CA. I'm staying up in the Bay Area to work and traveling down every couple of weeks to visit until I retire down there. Where we live is very hilly and not ideal or safe for my 10yr old son to go out and cycle on his own. He compete in triathlons and gravel races and my wife also cycled in races while living up here

So..... I want to set them up with a good indoor trainer and I would prefer one with an active screen that they can watch themselves compete and have a bit more fun

Im looking at the Wahoo kickr and hill climbing accessory. Not too worried about the fan part

My son has his own 37in racing bike with 700c wheels so he should be OK. His cranks are 130mm. We have a smart tv we are going to use with a stand

1. Do we need power meters for it to work?

My son can't change his cranks because of the size but just uses ordinary BMX pedals and running shoes on this bike. Should I get a set of clippless pedals with power meters for them? Is there anything else we would need to make it work for him. Ive personally never used a power meter before being very old school and I don't know much about them. I think it will be a good learning point for him

any other advice or help would be appreciated

thanks
Old 02-03-23, 01:59 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
the kicker has a PM built in. you need soemthign to ride with though, like rouvy or the favourite: zwift. tehre are lots of others to consider, most have free trials.
Old 02-03-23, 02:54 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Tipmart
Family recently moved to our home in Carlsbad CA. I'm staying up in the Bay Area to work and traveling down every couple of weeks to visit until I retire down there. Where we live is very hilly and not ideal or safe for my 10yr old son to go out and cycle on his own. He compete in triathlons and gravel races and my wife also cycled in races while living up here

So..... I want to set them up with a good indoor trainer and I would prefer one with an active screen that they can watch themselves compete and have a bit more fun

Im looking at the Wahoo kickr and hill climbing accessory. Not too worried about the fan part

My son has his own 37in racing bike with 700c wheels so he should be OK. His cranks are 130mm. We have a smart tv we are going to use with a stand

1. Do we need power meters for it to work?

My son can't change his cranks because of the size but just uses ordinary BMX pedals and running shoes on this bike. Should I get a set of clippless pedals with power meters for them? Is there anything else we would need to make it work for him. Ive personally never used a power meter before being very old school and I don't know much about them. I think it will be a good learning point for him

any other advice or help would be appreciated

thanks
Zwift gives free account to 15 under.
Likes For La Tortue:
Old 02-04-23, 09:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
No need for a power meter, the Kickr will provide that.

But you will need a computer (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) to run Cycling Apps and integrate with your Smart TV. An Apple TV box can also run some of the Apps like Zwift. But I doubt your Smart TV will be able to do that. You could check by searching for Zwift on its App interface.
Old 02-04-23, 07:09 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
At worst you could cast Zwift via the app to your TV.
Better, get an Apple TV4K streaming device & connect it to your TV.
Cheap, easy to use.
Done.