Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How many bikes do you own?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How many bikes do you own?

Old 04-26-15, 06:42 PM
Gunman45

Bikes: About 37 mostly Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
37 bikes for me here's the latest72 Paramount Tourist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150426_190304.jpg (98.7 KB, 615 views)
Old 04-26-15, 06:45 PM
Gunman45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many of you can say you've rode 37 different bikes in a day?
Old 04-26-15, 06:52 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunman45
That begins to sound like work.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-26-15, 07:23 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm late to this party, but sounds like notches on your seattube. I consider myself lucky to ride 1 bike in a day. But if 37 floats your boat...
Old 04-26-15, 07:32 PM
msr13

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 and a Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two, but I just bought my father a Fuji Barnebey 7 that will most likely live at my house for visits.
Old 04-26-15, 07:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I've ridden more than one in a day ... but not 37. That would be interesting!
Old 05-01-15, 02:34 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Ok, this is going to be ugly. My name is Tom, and I'm an N + 1 addict!

In order of the the date I acquired the bike:

1946 Schwinn Admiral:

Literally a garage find. It was in a friend of my brother's garage, and somehow, I got my hands on it, circa 1984. "Restored" it in 1986 ( bike had already been painted over). Still the best cruiser on the planet!

'92 Specialized Allez road bike

frame bought to replace cracked custom bike purchased at Police Aution in '81. Still sporting '70's era Campy Nuovo Record Front Derailleur.

'1990 Trek 520 -

Frame only - purchased in 1992. Still have the frame - I'll build it up someday!

1996 Bianchi Reparto Course Martini Racing Mountain Bike -

the most expensive bike I've ever purchased, approx $1500 new. Quickly disallusioned, when showing up for mountain bike races in '96, this bike was the bottom of the barrel - and that was for the sport races.

approx 1990 Bianchi Nyala

Who'd have thunk, the bike I pulled out of the Neighbor's garbage in the mid-90's would become the bike I've logged the most miles on - Ever! My main commuter bike the last 4 years.

1939 Schwinn Girl's bike.

Like the Nyala, I got it from the alley - only this time, I saw the neighbor pushing it out there. He said he always wanted to restore it, but never had the time, so he was getting rid of it. I knew the Admiral needed a girlfriend - I gave my neighbor $20 to make him (and me! feel better). Now officially my wife's classic cruiser.

1995 Rockhopper A1 (aluminum)-

purchased in the fall of 2013 to be my winter commuter. Frame broke in the summer of 2014. Frame fixed in the winter of 2014 - bike is currently pending resurrection in my basement.

'1994 Avatar Expert - frame.

Purchased for $10 from the guy who sold me the Rockhopper. Currently awaiting a build as a drop bar mtn bike.

2005 Diamondback Sorrento

Purchased as a panic reaction to my Rockhopper breaking. A guy had it on Craigslist for $8. I gave him $15 to make him (or me?) feel better. Currently in the shop getting the TLC treatment.

2013 Next LaJolla Cruiser

My most recent acquisition - $40 off Craigslist, an aluminum cruiser in like new condition. Pending the once over. Will post my glowing review when I've re-lubed every part on the bike!

Edit: Just looked at my own post - I see I'm back into double digits. Anyone know if there is a patch or something you can buy to treat this afflction?! Is it covered by health insurance?

Edit 2:

Forgot one - I've got a 2nd circa 1939 Girls Schwinn frame and fenders whispering that it needs a rebuild. Got this one for free off craiglist - guy was putting it in the trash. I "rescued" it. guess that means I'm well into double digits.
And now I've got one more. Oh well, it is easier to just say I own "about a dozen"!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...good-deal.html
Old 05-03-15, 06:35 PM
Antaresia
Snakes on a bike

Bikes: 80's CCM Mixte ~ SS 70's Apollo ~ Soma Extra Smooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my first bike, an 80's CCM mixte. It's showing it's age and steel rims remove a lot of it's practicality (I live in a rainy city). I only keep it for biking to skeezy areas because I don't care so much if it gets stolen.

A single speed conversion 70's apollo. My every day commuter, grocery getter, and leisure day-trip riding bike. I ended up liking this bike *way* more than I had planned.

my Soma ES, I don't really use it for anything. I got it for my long rides, but it's not as comfortable as my single speed beater.
Old 05-05-15, 08:43 AM
Gunman45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 33 bikes I could do a century and ride each bike only 3 miles , the extra mile would be in jumping off and back on 33 times.
Old 05-05-15, 03:16 PM
tdsherman325

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've got 6 - in rough order of age:

1962 Western Flyer Bicycle-Built-For-Two

Just bought this one about a month ago from an antique dealer. The wife and I took it on a road trip to Austin and had great time on Austin's many bike paths and lanes - It's like driving a semi truck amongst regular bike traffic. Rides nice and smooth and never fails to turn heads.

It was made by Huffy, as far as I can tell, and has a tandem-specific version of the Bendix "red stripe" rear hub.

Needs a new chain, and it's missing the front brake and the chain guard. It's been repainted once and those aren't original saddles - they're much too wide so the front saddle's suspension doesn't work. I'd like to rectify those issues and get a child seat for it so all three of us can ride the same bike.

1960's Skyway

My wife bought this bike when we were first married. It was her main ride until she bought the Royal Prince, and served as a backup ride until last year until a stick went up in the spokes and it was subsequently ridden into a fence. It's always been a very simple and dependable bike - always gets you where you're going.

Skyway was a Japanese brand that disappeared somewhere in/after the bike boom. Research has not turned up much information on these bikes but the frame construction, and a few comments I've seen here and there, suggest that they were made by Bridgestone. I've not seen another single-speed but there are Skyway three-speeds out there from the mid-to-late 60's with the same frame, handlebars, etc. It has a weird rear hub with a tiny clutch inside it instead of a regular coaster brake, so backpedaling takes a half-second for the brake to start working.

I've mended most of the damage but I haven't gotten around to replacing the chain yet. The original fenders were very Raleigh-like, identical to the Royal Prince, but were destroyed when it was wrecked. The wife hasn't decided whether to find original style fenders or get modern ones.

1969 Royal Prince

This was one of those things where when I would have gotten yelled at if I had done it. My wife dragged this bike home, in pitiful condition, from a yard sale where she had paid $10. Cost to repair it: $450. She helped me fix it up and it's now her daily ride. The larger chainring gives it a very lazy feel, and an almost unusable 3rd gear, but she was enamored of that crankset and claims to like it that way.

She has a talent of finding untraceable bicycles from the 60's. It was made in India and the rear hub is a Sturmey-Archer, so we know the year, but that's about it. Apparently there were huge number of makes in India churning out these Raleigh clones. They also apparently used whatever tooling was at hand since it varies from imperial to metric standards.

The only original parts are the frame, forks, chainguard, brakes/levers, and rear hub/shifter. VT Bike Stuff here in Abilene rebuilt the rear hub and mounted it into a new rim. The custom wheels are part of the reason it was so expensive. The headset and crankset took a while to find period parts because no one makes them in that size anymore. Handlebars are a 60's AMF set we had laying around.

1970's AMF Frankentrike

Bought around the same time as the Skyway with a matching, ladies style frame. That didn't hold up long on Abilene's streets and it eventually cracked and folded up. It was originally an AMF Roadmaster and I had a broken down AMF Texas Ranger sitting around so I mushed the good parts of the two together to come up with this. This and the Evox are the ones I ride all the time. The Frankentrike is the current kid hauler so I ride it whenever we're all out together with my son in the back.

It is a single-speed, one wheel drive trike with a coaster brake, but one honestly cannot get going fast enough for that to be an issue. The larger frame on 24" wheels gives it a longer wheelbase than it originally had. All of the parts are 1970s-ish AMF, with the exception of the trike rear end. It seems to have been made by some small, nameless American company at the time.

I'd like to paint it a single color but my wife likes the original paint.

2001 CCM Evox 120

Picked this one up a few months back and it's been my daily ride and commuter ever since. The ride is a bit odd until you get used to it but I love it. The steering's a bit twitchy, though. I wish it were geared a bit higher, too. That being said, it's still a very very quick and comfortable bike.

Turns out that these were made in Quebec by a company named Quetzal, and rebadged under a few different Canadian makes. Shimano date codes put it at 2001. Everything on it, down to the grips is original.

I've toyed with the idea of electrifying it but I just like too much the way it is. I may look into getting some kind of fairing and bumping up the gearing a bit.

2005 Dr. Pepper Frankenbike

This bike is easily the crappiest piece of crap we own, but there's a story behind it: My brother won this bike in a Sonic contest when we were teenagers, and it's been passed around in the family for years. Everyone's ridden it at some point, including me. Eventually it ended up in my parents' garage and my brother took it apart to paint it. The boxes of parts got lost but my dad found the frame when he was cleaning up his garage last year. Staying true to it's heritage, it has been faithfully repaired using only the crappiest Chinese components I would have otherwise thrown away.

It's probably a Pacific Cycle of one form or another, but there are no identifying characteristics other than "Dr. Pepper".

It still needs cables, a chain, a saddle/seatpost and a front dérailleur. It'll get fixed eventually, maybe.

And that's it! No car. My wife has an old Beetle but that thing hasn't run in years. We do it all on bikes.
Attached Images
20150505_140916.jpg (89.3 KB, 642 views)
20150505_141054.jpg (99.9 KB, 640 views)
20150505_141150.jpg (99.2 KB, 635 views)
20150505_141356.jpg (99.8 KB, 636 views)
20150505_141635.jpg (102.6 KB, 644 views)
20150505_141650.jpg (74.7 KB, 643 views)

Last edited by tdsherman325; 05-05-15 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Fixing images
Old 10-23-15, 03:35 PM
okayoumy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have five my track bike to go to work and school, then my road bike for racing and fast pace group rides, and my dirt jumper, mountain bike, and touring bike that sit around.
Old 10-24-15, 02:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can only ride one bike at a time so that's all I need. I want to keep my footprint small, so I have a minimum of crap to get rid of.
Old 11-04-15, 08:36 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Up to six at the moment - the Fuji S12S and Rawland Stag are my favorites, followed by the Garlatti, which will probably become more useful once I install a Nitto Technomic stem and some wider handlebars. The Raleigh was partially stripped to get the Garlatti going so need to get it back together ( rides nicely with the Reynolds 531C tubing ) and the Urago as well as Peschi are for those " I need to take out something older and unique " kind of days, certainly knowing I will not see another helps.I do love uncommon marques. Actually, when I think about it, the Stag is the only new bike I have owned in over 30 years and I could have purchased at least three or four vintage bikes for what it cost me to build up. Good thing I like it.
Old 11-05-15, 11:19 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have 2 bikes.

Commuter/Touring/e-bike

Road bike

I would love to add a 3rd bike. A Surly ECR for playing around on gravel, bikepacking, and the occasional snow commute.
Attached Images
commuter bike-2.jpg (99.2 KB, 609 views)
2015 Synapse Carbon Ultegra.jpg (98.7 KB, 611 views)
Old 11-05-15, 12:30 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been able to get away with just the Jamis Coda Sport, since I only ride to get around town in paved urban environments. But I'm thinking about adding a folding bike that I can carry on buses, planes, etc,...
Old 11-05-15, 12:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Why does it matter to you?
Old 01-22-16, 06:23 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Really to many,about A dozen.I need to sell or give some away soon.
My latest buys

1987 Peugeot orient express 23" Very good shape for its age.$35 thrift shop
Needs some cables and A
front derailleur fix.Came with A rear rack + pannier bags.

Trek Antelope 830 20" (1992) $20.One of the shifters does not work.Besides that bike is in good shape.
Working on my Hybrid,two speed and Peugeot before I start fixing this bike up.

Schwinn SPORTERRA 3 BLACK XL REI Hybrid(2012)It fit and was on sale for around $200

Marin HAMILTON 29" GRAY 19 IN(Two speed)(2012) I really like how this rides around town.
2nd favorite ride.First is my Carbon TCR road bike.

Trek 7.2 fx(2011) Hybrid
Going to replace brakes and pads.And add fenders, rack and either pannier bags or rack bag.

Well try to add pictures as I complete each bicycle.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 01-22-16 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 08:49 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
Really to many,about A dozen.I need to sell or give some away soon.
My latest buys

1987 Peugeot orient express 23" Very good shape for its age.$35 thrift shop
Needs some cables and A
front derailleur fix.Came with A rear rack + pannier bags.

Trek Antelope 830 20" (1992) $20.One of the shifters does not work.Besides that bike is in good shape.
Working on my Hybrid,two speed and Peugeot before I start fixing this bike up.

Schwinn SPORTERRA 3 BLACK XL REI Hybrid(2012)It fit and was on sale for around $200

Marin HAMILTON 29" GRAY 19 IN(Two speed)(2012) I really like how this rides around town.
2nd favorite ride.First is my Carbon TCR road bike.

Trek 7.2 fx(2011) Hybrid
Going to replace brakes and pads.And add fenders, rack and either pannier bags or rack bag.

Well try to add pictures as I complete each bicycle.
Nice hybrids...especially that Peugeot.
Old 01-22-16, 03:44 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 4 bikes. 2 I purchased, 1 I found and my BMX bike which my Grandad bought when I used to race.
Old 01-23-16, 06:21 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any inkling to complicate my life with more crap (including more than one bicycle) invokes a reality check that stops further action.
Old 01-23-16, 06:58 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've had a bit of a reawakening to cycling very recently after a 4 year hiatus. I've been picking up and trying new bikes over the winter. I definitely am going to thin the herd this spring after I get a chance to really ride each one. That being said, I'm not bothered by owning a ton of bikes. I really like them. Plus I can pillage parts at will since I can't ride 19 bikes at once. I'm up to 19 right now. But I just can't resist a $25 Specialized M2 at a garage sale. :^) Or the likes there of. So as soon as I stop looking, I'll stop acquiring. But I don't really see that happening. So for now.. I need to plan for more space. :^ 0

Last edited by hatrack71; 01-23-16 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 08:13 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two, an '05-ish (according to bike world) Huffy Stalker x15 and a 2016 Giant Escape 3.
Old 01-26-16, 10:31 AM
valleyrider

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, *mart Mongoose XR-150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own 1.5.

I have my commuter, cx racer, fast group rider that I currently have built up, and I am working on getting my mtb built up so I have a back up.

I could really benefit from having the mtb built up for when my other bike is out of commission, because then I need something to ride.
Old 01-26-16, 03:27 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Keeper:
Geekhouse Woodville-inspired custom uber-commuter. I built it, welded the frame.

Others which I'm currently curating:
Jamis Sputnik FG
Late 80s Bianchi road bike (to flip)
Trek steel hybrid (to flip)
Electra Moto 3, shop bike on the used rack
Early 90s vintage Canondale M800 "Beast of the East" beater. Hybrid or rigid ATB depending on tires...
Older Trek 26" wheeled hybrid 890 turned cruiser
Schwinn Super LeTour 2sp kickback basket bike.

The Cannondale will probably stay in my life because I'll never get anything for it and a price I could get for it is at a point where I might as well keep it. It is the recipient of many parts bin parts on their way out, and every bad idea I've ever thought to try. The Bianchi is too big, so that's just a flip project; Trek hybrid was a dump find and I have parts enough to fix it up to sell. The Sputnik was a gift I just got done re-habbing and will probably be sold this summer. The Electra is fun and may stay in my life, but if someone offers me the right price, it's gone, too -- currently the errand bike at the shop. The 890 was an odd Trek model only around a couple years and it was easy enough to turn it into a cruiser -- another bike that might stick around for a bit, but which will grace the used bike rack at the shop. The Schwinn is my lockup bike, currently down in Boston for when I visit.
Old 01-26-16, 04:45 PM
WMcCready

Bikes: Surly-LHT,KM, Schwinn World,Tempo,High Sierra,Trek820,Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have 13, plan to hold on these for a while. Surly LHT, & KM, Schwinn Cimmarron, Marin Muir Woods, Raleigh Sport, Nishiki Custom Sport Mixte.
May part with these when fair weather returns, Schwinn World Sport, Mesa Runner, High Sierra, Ross Eurotour, Marin Kentfield, Trek 820, Nishiki Sport. Try to save them from destruction make improvements then pass them on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.