Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Cranbrook ride.

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Cranbrook ride.

Old 01-23-22, 01:59 PM
birdmove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Cranbrook ride.

As a 69 year old prostate cancer survivor with one gimpy knee, I got back into bike riding again last summer, after my cancer treatments ended. I took my 7-8 year old single speed road bike on a ride, and found much to my surprise that I could still ride. I am looking at bikes online with some gears to make hills easier which would also extend my range. I ride at least 5 miles every day, and had been riding to my weekly chess group, a 10 mile round trip. At one point, I have to dismount and do a short push of shame of maybe 25-30 yards on the way to the group. The ride home is like thrill ride as there is lots of downhill riding.
I have my adult kids Huffy Cranbrook at my house for a while, and have been riding it often. It is slower than my single speed road bike, but still fun to ride. Here day I decided to see if I could ride that Cranbrook to our meeting place to see if it was fesable for me to ride that tank. It wasn't chess day, so this was just a fun ride o see if I could live with a single speed cruiser. I was actually quite pleased that this old geezer could make it, and without any more pushing than when I ride the road bike. I wasn't really any more or less tired after the trip yo the site. That 5 mile stretch, due to lots of gradual uphill riding takes about 40 minutes, with a auick stop for some water. I have removed both fenders and the chain guard from the Cranbrook, so it's a little lighter than stock. They trip home, of course, is my fun payback for the up hills on the trip to the site. So, now, I am thinking of buying a cruiser bike, with or without multiple gears, as a second bike. But, I am very happy to know I can do this ride on an old Cranbrook, and am working up to longer rides up to 30-40 miles. I know I could do it on a cruiser, as once I get out of my housing developement, the longer rides are pretty flat. My knee problem isn't that big of a deal for me, and I walk with a cane. The cane is mostly because, if I trip or stumble, I'd likely fall, as the right knee isn't much help. I am happy to be able to ride at all after what I've been through, and am ecstatic to be able to do the longer rides too. I'll keep the rode bike, and have to do some bottom bracket maintenance, which will be new to me. I want to get a second bike before I get into fixing the rode bike, so I have a ride.
Likes For birdmove:
Old 01-23-22, 04:07 PM
birdmove

Likes For birdmove:
Old 01-23-22, 06:42 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Good for you! We’re the same age. While I am still doing OK on my road bike, I do have my eye on an E-bike. I expect it will be in my not to distant future. Keep riding and keep your car at home.
Likes For debade:
Old 01-23-22, 09:28 PM
birdmove

I have very much considered an ebike also. However, right now, I am still experimenting with my limits using own geezer body powering regular bikes. I may still buy an ebike eventually, but am somewhat put off by the difficulty of pedalling with the electrics shut off. The excess drag of the motor combined with the comparatively enormous weights of these e bikes concern me. Also, it's dam hard to find a way someone would ship lithium batteries to me in Hawaii. An ebike without a battery becomes pretty much a boat anchor.
Old 01-27-22, 02:47 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by birdmove
that fork looks weird.
Old 01-27-22, 07:28 PM
birdmove

What's weird about it?
Old 01-28-22, 04:48 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
What's weird about it?
It's straight, like it rammed something. No Cranbrook has that straight a fork- in fact all Walmart cruisers use the same fork.
Old 01-28-22, 11:21 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Speed is just a number. I ride not because I have to get anywhere but because I like to ride. I'm a big fan of the Electra Cruiser 7D. It has a few gears 1-2 being pretty low to make any hill rideable and a few more for the flats to go the distance if I want.

I find the Walmart cruisers to be a little on the small side for me (but fit is different) and they do have a couple of multispeed cruisers that would fit your bill. IF you have a local shop you should be able to find a nice one but that depends on your needs. Good luck and good riding.
Old 01-28-22, 01:52 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Pulling up pics of the Huffy Cranbrook show they do have what looks like an almost straight fork.
Old 01-29-22, 08:42 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
This is my Cranbrook . Fork on this older one was curved. Roger

Old 01-30-22, 03:22 PM
jhonny45

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you are a gem indeed
Old 01-31-22, 12:05 PM
birdmove

Anyone with a standard Huffy Cranbrook have a model number? Mine, the red one in the photo in this thread, is 5-6 years old. Sent Huffy an email to get a price on a new rear wheel. Sent them the complete serial number that is stamped on the underside of the bike, but they say they want the model number. The sticker under the bike with that info is long since unreadable.
Old 05-02-22, 04:31 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
You can get a whole women's single speed cruiser on craigslist with virtually no miles for less than a replacement wheel. All single speed cruisers use same axle and hub size.
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 11-01-22, 08:03 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Anyone with a standard Huffy Cranbrook have a model number? Mine, the red one in the photo in this thread, is 5-6 years old. Sent Huffy an email to get a price on a new rear wheel. Sent them the complete serial number that is stamped on the underside of the bike, but they say they want the model number. The sticker under the bike with that info is long since unreadable.
Tell them it's a model 56462 Give them that. it's a 2004 Cranbrook with the correct wheel you need. They might send you a free bike.....
Old 11-02-22, 08:11 PM
McCycle

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
A rode bike is a happy bike.
Likes For McCycle: