Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Noob build...with questions!

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 11-17-22, 04:53 AM
mynameismark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & a big fan of beach cruisers, ever since I discover that everybody rides them along the beaches of Costa Rica. They were a revelation!!! So comfy & relaxing!
I'm from Europe (England originally but I moved to Germany) and living in a relatively flat city so it seemed the perfect opportunity to ditch my old mountain bike & buy a cruiser.

And so began my love/hate relationship with them.

I bought a 150€ cruiser off a guy on eBay Kleinenzeigen (kind of a no fees, no hassle eBay) and he delivered it to my door in his white van, hung around until I'd taken it once around the block, took my money & promptly drove off.
I was happy with my purchase until I realised the seat post was stuck so I took it to the local bike shop. They immediately showed me several problems (dodgy spokes, bent frame, worn out brakes, bare tyre etc...) All these things could have been avoided if I'd been more careful & less hasty (and known what to look for). Anyway, I think it cost an initial outlay of 50€.

It's been 3 years now & I've probably replaced everything (except the frame, forks & handlebars) at least once. I ride at least 5km a day so general wear & tear means I'm bound to have to put money into it. I'mm just not sure I want to anymore.
The frame is steel & weighs a ton. The twist shift gears & derailleur are slowly dying. The back wheel is slightly buckled & the brakes need constant tweaking.

So, I think I'm going to spend a fair chunk of money on a custom build.

What I'm after....

A black bike. No obvious labels.
A classic cruiser shape.
6-7 gears with twist shift.
Hydraulic disc brakes.
Nothing bling, steampunk of gonky (I had a Raleigh Chopper as a kid & maintain they're a kids bike!! Heeheheheh!)

So far I've found a couple of EU suppliers & like the look of Cruiser Shop - Europe. The trouble is, they can only help me with so much, mainly which of their parts are compatible.
As I want something with a 6-7 gear sprocket I need an XL frame & this is where my problems have started.

So, question...

The frame is paired with forks that have a 1 1/8" steerer diameter. The only handlebar stems that fit the forks hold slightly thicker bars to normal (25.4mm instead of the standard 22.2mm)
All the twist shifts I've looked at have 22.2mm clamps. Is there an easy fix for this? Some kind of adapter at the top of the forks or the handlebar clamp?

Another question...

Has anyone had experience with Cruiser Shop Europe? Are they fairly priced? Can you recommend good alternative supplier based in the EU (not the UK anymore....sniff!)
The main parts I'm looking at appear to be 3G which I gather is a US company.

I can't post any photos yet - I need to post 10 comments first.

Thanks for your help, in advance!
Old 11-17-22, 05:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Beach Cruisers - Bike Forums

Old 11-17-22, 05:43 AM
mynameismark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey 10 Wheels,

Your reply doesn't have any content.
Old 11-17-22, 08:10 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
GUESS YOU NEED MORE pOSTS

Old 11-17-22, 04:28 PM
mynameismark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess so
Old 11-17-22, 04:35 PM
mynameismark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kinda boring without pictures but this is my parts list so far...

3G XL BeachCruiser bicycle frame 20"
Fork dedicated to the frame 3G XL BeachCruiser OLD100mm
Stem AHEAD 1-1/8 inch ( 28,6) 12 cm 25,4 - ALU 3G
Handlebar BANDIT 72 x 12 cm 25,4 BLACK aluminium
Bottom Bracket Cartridge FAT BIKE BB 100 x 159 mm BSA 1.37”x 24T - AL
170mm classic crankset BSA 38T CHROME square-mount - for 9/16 pedals - Van Schultze Classic
Brooks Twist Shift grips - Dark brown
BRN Cruiser RLX bicycle saddle BROWN 24x27 steel springs

I'm still trying to work out which derailleur & brakes set to use.
Old 11-18-22, 05:14 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameismark
Hi all,
The frame is paired with forks that have a 1 1/8" steerer diameter. The only handlebar stems that fit the forks hold slightly thicker bars to normal (25.4mm instead of the standard 22.2mm)
All the twist shifts I've looked at have 22.2mm clamps. Is there an easy fix for this? Some kind of adapter at the top of the forks or the handlebar clamp?
The clamp diameter is 25.4, the bar diameter is 22.2.
22.2 grip shifts will fit. If your bar is 25.4 you're building a Harley Davidson cruiser and you're in the wrong place.
Old 12-21-22, 08:15 AM
bhiter010

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & a big fan of beach cruisers, ever since I discover that everybody rides them along the beaches of Costa Rica. They were a revelation!!! So comfy & relaxing!
I'm from Europe (England originally but I moved to Germany) and living in a relatively flat city so it seemed the perfect opportunity to ditch my old mountain bike & buy a cruiser.

And so began my love/hate relationship with them.

I bought a 150€ cruiser off a guy on eBay Kleinenzeigen (kind of a no fees, no hassle eBay) and he delivered it to my door in his white van, hung around until I'd taken it once around the block, took my money & promptly drove off.
I was happy with my purchase until I realised the seat post was stuck so I took it to the local bike shop. They immediately showed me several problems (dodgy spokes, bent frame, worn out brakes, bare tyre etc...) All these things could have been avoided if I'd been more careful & less hasty (and known what to look for). Anyway, I think it cost an initial outlay of 50€.

It's been 3 years now & I've probably replaced everything (except the frame, forks & handlebars) at least once. I ride at least 5km a day so general wear & tear means I'm bound to have to put money into it. I'mm just not sure I want to anymore.
The frame is steel & weighs a ton. The twist shift gears & derailleur are slowly dying. The back wheel is slightly buckled & the brakes need constant tweaking.

So, I think I'm going to spend a fair chunk of money on a custom build.

What I'm after....

A black bike. No obvious labels.
A classic cruiser shape.
6-7 gears with twist shift.
Hydraulic disc brakes.
Nothing bling, steampunk of gonky (I had a Raleigh Chopper as a kid & maintain they're a kids bike!! Heeheheheh!)

So far I've found a couple of EU suppliers & like the look of Cruiser Shop - Europe. The trouble is, they can only help me with so much, mainly which of their parts are compatible.
As I want something with a 6-7 gear sprocket I need an XL frame & this is where my problems have started.

So, question...

Another question...

Has anyone had experience with Cruiser Shop Europe? Are they fairly priced? Can you recommend good alternative supplier based in the EU (not the UK anymore....sniff!)
The main parts I'm looking at appear to be 3G which I gather is a US company.

I can't post any photos yet - I need to post 10 comments first.

Thanks for your help, in advance!
kindly share the photos in studio!
Likes For bhiter010:
Old 12-25-22, 10:30 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Kinda boring without pictures but this is my parts list so far...

3G XL BeachCruiser bicycle frame 20"
Fork dedicated to the frame 3G XL BeachCruiser OLD100mm
Stem AHEAD 1-1/8 inch ( 28,6) 12 cm 25,4 - ALU 3G
Handlebar BANDIT 72 x 12 cm 25,4 BLACK aluminium
Bottom Bracket Cartridge FAT BIKE BB 100 x 159 mm BSA 1.37”x 24T - AL
170mm classic crankset BSA 38T CHROME square-mount - for 9/16 pedals - Van Schultze Classic
Brooks Twist Shift grips - Dark brown
BRN Cruiser RLX bicycle saddle BROWN 24x27 steel springs

I'm still trying to work out which derailleur & brakes set to use.
10 posts and you can share pics. We all had to go through the vetting process. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this.
Old 12-25-22, 02:07 PM
mynameismark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I'm on another internet forum & know the drill. I'll post a few "Nice bike!!" comments & politically incorrect statements (to test the water) Hehehehee!
Old 12-25-22, 02:08 PM
mynameismark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or I could just keep chatting here...oops!
Old 12-27-22, 12:49 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Or I could just keep chatting here...oops!
A post a day would allow the pics today,...
Old 12-28-22, 01:47 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I personally hate grip shifts, but the rest sounds okay.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 01-05-23, 06:03 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Are Electra's available in Germany? They are owned by Trek now, so maybe. Here is one that I had but sold on. It is a better bike than the Schwinn Heavy Duty that I kept. It has a better frame and all components are better as well. I didn't have room for both.

Anyway, on cruisers I tend to like single speed, however, I can see getting 5 or 7 gear ratios. Electra seats are pretty good too. This one was missing when I got it.

Likes For Velo Mule: