Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Heavy backpack, 12 y/o boy school commute.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Heavy backpack, 12 y/o boy school commute.

Old 11-13-22, 01:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I've heard that some schools are getting rid of the school lockers. Rather silly idea if you ask me.

As far as the backpack. When in school, I used to carry a duffel bag back and forth to school that was absolutely monstrous. But in reality I rarely looked at everything that I was carrying.

I'd encourage going through the backpack one evening and try to figure out what is needed, and what is not needed.

Perhaps it means doing a bit of scheduling and planning. So, what day does one want to do social studies reading? And what day does one want to do math?

Just carry the books home that one actually needs rather than lugging everything back and forth every day.
Old 11-15-22, 09:10 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
CliffordK I took a look at the little guys pack last night and I see that he is bringing stuff home that he doesn稚 need to so that will pare the weight down substantially. The X factor here is if he can stash the various books, spiral notebooks, etc in his locker AND remember to get what is necessary for each class throughout the day. His ADHD is significant and if you give him 4 things to do you値l be lucky if he gets one of them done.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 11-18-22, 12:41 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
A backpack pannier might work well. Here's a not huge one on ebay. I own the predecessor of this two wheel gear one.
Old 11-18-22, 02:59 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
I ended up installing a Sunlite rack and ziptie段ng a Wald basket to it:

The kid痴 been using this setup for the past week with no (audible) complaints. The most important thing is the bungie cords with carabiner clips. Regular bungee cords fall off way too easily.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 11-20-22, 02:48 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Riding w/ a heavy pack can cause medical probs so do be careful of that.

In Europe (NL, DE, DM, SE particularly) kids wear light packs but their bikes always have a rear rack for heavier stuff. The racks have attached Bibia straps that make it quick and easy to stick a pack on. Some kids have an old wine crate bolted to the rack and occasionally you'll see panniers but these latter are less popular since they prevent friends from riding on the rack.

One note, K-12 kids in many EU countries never (Finland) or rarely (NL, DM, SE) have homework and yet score significantly higher on PISA tests than U.S. students.
Old 11-20-22, 03:09 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I always found racks kind of dorky when I was young (and nothing has changed) what about a cool little trailer?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Spo...-CZ2/330439097

Old 11-21-22, 12:16 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Off he went! I rode with him so he knew to walk his bike at the cross walk of a busy street. I have forgone any baskets or racks for now, just his backpack. No problems except for me realizing how janky (technical term) the front thumb shifter is on my seldom ridden, old MTB. Definitely prefer friction shifting for the front.
Old 11-21-22, 12:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Good for that little boy!!
Not for long... Ha
Won't be long before he can hoist his back pack and you for that 1 mile sprint.

Note that stuffing a card board or plastic box into the bottom of the pack will make it much more stable when strapping it down...
Old 11-21-22, 01:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
...His ADHD is significant and if you give him 4 things to do you値l be lucky if he gets one of them done.
Ha... that's me for sure! Old times ADHD just meant ya got your attention adjusted through out the day. Not necessarily a good thing. Worse was Hyperactivity Disorder. Those guys were not allowed in the house till it got dark, if then...

Seeing a young health kid ridding ta school gives me reassurance that there will be a future. ADHD is just a matter of adapting to overcome. And he will... Love it...