Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

"Upgraded" fork for Electra Townie 7d ..

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 08:00 PM
magicpie55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hello All .... I am looking for a replacement fork for my Townie 7d step thru ... The info I have so far and am not sure it's correct is ...1 1/8th threaded fork .. I am looking to upgrade the fork legs to a thicker drop out ..without lawyer lips ..I have a Hub Motor and the mounting seems a little sketchy to me ... I have seen pictures of nice thick flat dropouts ..That's what I'm looking for ... I'm a retired mechanic don't know if that's good or bad but I have blundered thru a lot of things on this bike .. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it ... 26 inch wheel ..rim brakes ..seems to be a long "steer Tube" Thanks for any help I can get ...
Old 09-14-22, 07:14 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Go to a bike shop/mechanic. Forks are not a good place to internet shop. Roger
Old 09-14-22, 07:35 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My experience with our local bike shops is that their good at common things ..chain and sprockets etc. ...When you hit them with a weird problem they just throw up their hands ... I have 1 shop with 1 mechanic I trust ... I will run it by him and see what he says .. Remember ... I was a mechanic in the 70's ..perhaps I don't trust them because I was "One of those guys " ....
Old 09-14-22, 10:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I doubt you'll find any forks without "lawyer lips" since there is too much liability, and putting a hub motor on an aluminum front fork is very risky and should be done with two torque arms and the "lips" removed or with a "c" washer. The only safe alternative is to use ebikesca (Grin)'s all axle motor. This should be in the electric bikes sub-forum. Also, you need to make sure it's 1&1/8 threaded (look at sheldon brown for the difference between threaded and non-threaded). There are very few forks available with this type of steerer tube.

Last edited by 2old; 09-15-22 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 02:50 PM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
... Yea ..Thanks for the reply ... The forks on My bike are steel ... I will never find the one I'm looking for if I don't try ... I have seen pictures and should have pressed more about it ... Bike is fine I have ridden it almost every day for over 2 years with no real problems .... i just like to "Upgrade" things when I can .. I do have 2 torque arms and all the hardware to deal with the lawyer lips ... Thanks for the Encouragement anyhow ... Do J.
Likes For magicpie55:
Old 09-14-22, 02:52 PM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Likes For magicpie55:
Old 09-15-22, 10:14 AM
2old

That's a nice setup and you did a great job using two torque arms. I wouldn't consider a suspension fork with that big motor(must be 1200w or 1500w). Maybe a suspension stem and/or grips would be beneficial.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-15-22, 10:36 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the reply and compliment ..that was nice ... I am not looking for a suspension fork .. Just one without the lawyer lips and a nice strong steel dropout to put this 1000 watt motor in ... The little horseshoe washers you use with the lawyer lips and torque arm sorta concern me ..not a lot of clamping power in that little horseshoe washer ... Just if I could find a better fork I'd do it ..

1 1/8 threaded with a long 300 mm steer tube ...26 inch wheel ..rim brakes ....
Old 09-16-22, 08:24 AM
2old

My first conversion was a front hubbie, and I used a Surly steel fork (which has served me well for at least 10 years on several different bikes). I just filed the lawyer lips off smoothly. AFAIK, the only other option is to have a custom fork constructed (Waltworks, but it'll cost $400 or some other builder if they'll even do it).

Last edited by 2old; 09-16-22 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For 2old: