Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Freehub body on Mavic Cosmic 1995 wheels

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 03:49 AM
Destruktoren

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,
I've recently bought a pair of Mavic Cosmic 1st gen wheels from 1995 and the threading for the lock nut on the freehub body is completely ruined, so I'm not able to put on a cassette.
I've looked around the internet for which type of freehub body to buy, without luck.
I'm looking for a shimano/sram 10 speed body.

Can anyone tell me which kind of freehub body I need to buy?
Old 09-25-19, 08:01 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
What brand of hub?
Old 09-25-19, 11:59 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
10spd didn't exist at the time, search for an 8spd bpdy. 8/9/10 are the same, or close enough it doesn't matter.
Old 09-25-19, 01:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Those old Cosmic wheels may have used the early freehub body that had ball bearings instead of a bushing, but then again that feature might have been only on the more-expensive Helium wheels.

Try unscrewing the opposite axle endcaps using 5mm hex wrenches (you may have to pull out the end-caps first), then slide the freehub body off to see what you've got and to compare with what's available at the LBS and online.
Old 09-27-19, 01:53 AM
Destruktoren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just opened my account to do this post and I need to do 10 post before I can post links or photos. I'll post photos when possible!
Old 09-27-19, 11:37 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Let us know. BTW, I saw a Cosmic rear hub with spokes last night at the co-op, could probably be had for cheap. Not sure about model sequence, it looks kinda modern and very clean.
Old 09-28-19, 02:55 AM
Destruktoren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos are now available!

Do you have a link for that cosmic rear hub?

Old 09-28-19, 01:15 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Yours is very old, 1st-gen ratchet. The hubshell looks nothing like the one down at the co-op. I highly doubt that any parts would be compatible.
Old 10-03-19, 08:36 AM
Destruktoren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I might have found a solution! Maybe.
The lockring threading is only ruined in the first turn. Currently I'm running a 10 speed cassette with 9 cogs and a spacer, however I'm looking into getting a lockring with deeper threading than the shimano.
I've heard that Token lockrings are 5mm and Shimano supposedly are 4mm. Can anyone confirm this?
If you have advice on any lockring that has deeper threading please let me know
Old 10-03-19, 01:50 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I knew it was only a matter of time before I heard of a problem with the meager two threads of engagement on lockrings that are spec'd to be torqued to a reefing 30 Ft-lb!!!

Anything you can do to shorten the cassette, even moving it closer to the spokes might be the answer (since Mavic wheels had enough dish to handle 11s even when 10s was in). So if there is a spacer washer that can be removed for instance at the inward end of the cassette(???), then there you go.

I looked for a longer-threaded lockring many years ago, for a different reason. Sunrace and one of the CNC versions were all I could find that had a bit more threaded length.
Since you are essentially salvaging an old wheelset, might it be feasible to use a narrower cassette with fewer speeds, perhaps a narrowed 10s cassette using only 9 cogs?
Old 10-04-19, 08:17 AM
Destruktoren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dddd
I knew it was only a matter of time before I heard of a problem with the meager two threads of engagement on lockrings that are spec'd to be torqued to a reefing 30 Ft-lb!!!

Anything you can do to shorten the cassette, even moving it closer to the spokes might be the answer (since Mavic wheels had enough dish to handle 11s even when 10s was in). So if there is a spacer washer that can be removed for instance at the inward end of the cassette(???), then there you go.

I looked for a longer-threaded lockring many years ago, for a different reason. Sunrace and one of the CNC versions were all I could find that had a bit more threaded length.
Since you are essentially salvaging an old wheelset, might it be feasible to use a narrower cassette with fewer speeds, perhaps a narrowed 10s cassette using only 9 cogs?
There isn't really anything that can be done in terms of shortening the cassette except removing the smallest cog and replacing with a thinner spacer (which I already have done).
I've ordered a Token lock ring and hopefully it will allow me to use all 10 cogs!
Old 10-04-19, 11:25 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I think the Token will work. Just play with it a lot. It only has to hold a few times in it's entire life. Even the original, with 3 undamaged threads, should work. Check behind the cassette for spacers, and use as minimal spacing as you can and still keep the cassette tight.

At one time, those freehubs were fairly plentiful. I've swapped Shimano for Campy on at least 5-6 older Mavic wheels, always picked up the freehub on the 'Fray.
Old 10-14-19, 04:51 AM
Destruktoren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Token lock ring did the trick! Now running the 10 speed cassette with all 10 cogs