Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recently acquired Giant Allegre w/Suntour GPX, before pics and a question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 02:34 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

Hi folks,

I just wanted to show off a little because I'm excited to have a new refurb project for the first time in a while. I got this thing for $60, and there is literally nothing else remotely appealing available in my area so I grabbed it thinking hey I'll have a fixie again, but I'm now thinking to leave it with the Suntour stuff and just keep it that way.

Anyway cheers everyone!

Perfect size for me, feels like a 57, wish the headset and stem were less ugly, and those are 700x22 tires

Guy I got it from tuned it up but didn't replace anything as you can see from the rusty chain

Some oxidation and surface rust, looks like it may have been sitting in a shed or something

Wish this was the original GPX headset but oh well

Front view... Some clip-on triathalon bar things were included which is why the tape is like that I guess
Old 11-09-21, 03:25 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Cool bike. Early Giant era stuff is interesting to me since that is when they started transitioning from a contract manufacturer to building their own branded bikes and eventually becoming the juggernaut they are today.

Tight clearances! Those 22s look like they fill up the fork and rear triangle quite a bit.

What's your question?
Old 11-09-21, 06:21 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Nice find! Suntour GPX is pretty nice.
Old 11-10-21, 12:31 AM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
You saw this and thought "fixie"?
Old 11-10-21, 02:34 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I saw that one sitting for quite awhile. Glad someone bought it who will appreciate it. Looked like solid quality for pennies.
Old 11-10-21, 06:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
This one doesn't have the fastback seat lug with the binder bolt through the stays. That, in conjuction with the GPX and graphics, points to a 1990 model. The serial number will provide corrobration. At the time, it would have been 2nd in the Giant road line, below the carbon fibre 980C. MSRP would have been ~ $500-$550 US.

I was never fond of GPX but at least it's 2nd generation AccuShift, which performs a lot better than 1st generation. Also, Giant had a lot of foresight, installing a longer fork with a substantial headset spacer, allowing the taller stem heights that are popular with many of the C&V crowd.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-10-21, 10:15 AM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by degan
You saw this and thought "fixie"?
Well, other than the downtube shifter bosses yeah, but really I was just scanning the local classifieds for some kind of super-budget project and I couldn't come up with anything worse than this, but yeah gonna leave it stock and have fun cleaning it up...

Originally Posted by sd5782
I saw that one sitting for quite awhile. Glad someone bought it who will appreciate it. Looked like solid quality for pennies.
Ah I see you're in Toledo, I'm down here in Findlay. I almost passed but I just wanted to buy an old bike and 99% of the stuff on craigslist is not interesting at all. The seller was a nice guy, bit eccentric, he had a bunch of projects going and I think he just wanted to clear some space. This thing does have signs of having sat outside for a while but I think it will all clean up pretty nicely.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Thanks for the info! All I know about the GPX is that it looks cool haha