Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Peloton workers say that rusting bikes were knowingly sent to customers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Peloton workers say that rusting bikes were knowingly sent to customers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22, 09:21 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Because if you are going to spend over $2k to sit indoors and stare at a screen...Why not just spend it on bike and clothing to ride outside in the real world instead of the fake peleton world?
I can't imagine how people can sit indoors on a stationary bike in front of a TV and call that a fitness workout and actually find it enjoyable. ..I would rather find an alternative form of exercise which is more fun a more productive than waste time and energy on an stationary bike in front of a big screen TV
Old 02-20-22, 09:27 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Can’t we all just get along?
The only way for us to get along is to wear the same brand of bibs, ride the same carbon bikes, shave our legs, have exact same FTP and Watts, eat and burn the same amount of calories, ride at the same speed and eat the same diet. If we all follow that then we would all get along perfectly.
Old 02-20-22, 09:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolla
Planet Fitness charges $10 a month, and they're open 24/7. It would take 16 years to spend $2000 there.

Planet Fitness is not even a gym, it's just a playground and an amusement park
Old 02-20-22, 09:45 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No one asked you how long the bike would take to pay for itself.
You argue poorly. I never mentioned anything "paying for itself." I simply compared the cost of Peloton ($2000) to the cost of a gym membership ($10 a month), as Sheep asked about. Sorry that enrages you. Have a Snickers.
Old 02-20-22, 09:50 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Your irrelevant opinion aside, I really wouldn't know. I was just quoting the cost of a membership.
Old 02-20-22, 11:09 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Funny, In the past I would not buy a car if it showed signs of rust. Now I just take it as part of the history of the car. And I typically buy midwestern owned cars that are 20 plus years old...they have rust.

And my bikes too. All steel frames and they have rust and they average 50 yrs old.

And my Lionel trains. Old tinplate with plenty of rusty bits.

And me too. Not literally rusty...but a bit woolly.
Old 02-20-22, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Planet Fitness charges $10 a month, and they're open 24/7. It would take 16 years to spend $2000 there.

You argue poorly. I never mentioned anything "paying for itself." I simply compared the cost of Peloton ($2000) to the cost of a gym membership ($10 a month), as Sheep asked about. Sorry that enrages you. Have a Snickers.
You're playing ridiculous semantic games--what does 16 years have to do with it then? You've literally stated how many years of gym membership the price of the Peloton would purchase. It taking the bike 16 years of gym fees to "pay for itself" is obviously a fair paraphrase of your point.

The only who got enraged was you with the completely uncalled for "nitpick" remark. BTW, I know you rewrote that comment at least 3 times to stick that nitpick thing in, my email in box has your two previous, much less confrontational, versions. Wasn't me who needed the Snickers, obviously you were getting all kinds of wound up and needed to "vent."

I usually like your posts, I have no idea why your dander got raised here. All I did was point out other costs to going to the gym and the fact that home equipment is shutdown-proof.

I'm only responding because you keep posting snarky crap at me. Yes, I find it annoying but that's obviously why you're doing it at this point. You've posted several times you don't actually care about the subject.

Now, walk away from the keyboard, relax, and stop posting silly things that claim you didn't say things you obviously did.
Old 02-20-22, 12:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I can't imagine how people can sit indoors on a stationary bike in front of a TV and call that a fitness workout and actually find it enjoyable. ..I would rather find an alternative form of exercise which is more fun a more productive than waste time and energy on an stationary bike in front of a big screen TV
to each his own.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-20-22, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Has anyone ever said where the rust was that seems to concern everyone?

If it's inside the tubes and out of sight, I wouldn't be bothered. All my steel bikes had rust to some degree inside the tubes. By the time I got rid of them, some 40 years later, they had more rust. So what?
Old 02-20-22, 12:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I can't imagine

We know.

Your inability to understand that other people have preferences different than you do is the basis of most of your posts.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-20-22, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's complete bs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-20-22, 12:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
Has anyone ever said where the rust was that seems to concern everyone?

If it's inside the tubes and out of sight, I wouldn't be bothered. All my steel bikes had rust to some degree inside the tubes. By the time I got rid of them, some 40 years later, they had more rust. So what?

Looks like no one would ever have known about it if the warehouse workers hadn't leaked the story. No idea if that means that the company's line that this is cosmetic only is true or not.
Old 02-20-22, 01:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Looks like no one would ever have known about it if the warehouse workers hadn't leaked the story. No idea if that means that the company's line that this is cosmetic only is true or not.
I did see some notes on the web about the bikes with spots of rust with use over time. And, it likely is a problem the company doesn't want to deal with.

So far I'm not seeing any notes of the machines crumbling into a pile of rust in the middle of the living room, or looking like they were salvaged from the Titanic.

It is hard to say if anybody would have noticed it without the bigger news of the worker complaints.

I still think this has to do with disgruntled employees being laid off with the boom and bust trajectory of the company.

Although, perhaps it is a marketing scheme, and one can buy the 2nd generation zinc coated exercycles with stainless chainring bolts.
Old 02-20-22, 03:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts

Your inability to understand that other people have preferences different than you do is the basis of most of your posts.
Sound like someone else who pops into the forums now and then?
Old 02-20-22, 03:05 PM
Rolla

You're playing ridiculous semantic games--what does 16 years have to do with it then? You've literally stated how many years of gym membership the price of the Peloton would purchase. It taking the bike 16 years of gym fees to "pay for itself" is obviously a fair paraphrase of your point.

The only who got enraged was you with the completely uncalled for "nitpick" remark. BTW, I know you rewrote that comment at least 3 times to stick that nitpick thing in, my email in box has your two previous, much less confrontational, versions. Wasn't me who needed the Snickers, obviously you were getting all kinds of wound up and needed to "vent."

I usually like your posts, I have no idea why your dander got raised here. All I did was point out other costs to going to the gym and the fact that home equipment is shutdown-proof.

I'm only responding because you keep posting snarky crap at me. Yes, I find it annoying but that's obviously why you're doing it at this point. You've posted several times you don't actually care about the subject.

Now, walk away from the keyboard, relax, and stop posting silly things that claim you didn't say things you obviously did.
16.6 years is how long it would take the cost of a $10 monthly gym membership to equal the cost of a $2000 Peloton. That's it. I have no idea why this simple math has triggered you so badly, but I wish you a speedy recovery from whatever your problem is.

Last edited by Rolla; 02-20-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-20-22, 03:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I can't imagine why someone with absolutely no interest in stationary bikes would be wasting their time reading a thread about Peleton bikes and even contributing to it? Don't you have something more interesting to do with your time?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-20-22, 03:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
The only way for us to get along is to wear the same brand of bibs, ride the same carbon bikes, shave our legs, have exact same FTP and Watts, eat and burn the same amount of calories, ride at the same speed and eat the same diet. If we all follow that then we would all get along perfectly.
Lubing our chains all the same way would be a more direct route.

Old 02-20-22, 04:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

16.6 years is how long it would take the cost of a $10 monthly gym membership to equal the cost of a $2000 Peloton. That's it. I have no idea why this simple math has triggered you so badly, but I wish you a speedy recovery from whatever your problem is.
Three drafts to formulate a lame putdown says you were the triggered one. That's simple math, too. Have a nice day.
Old 02-20-22, 04:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sound like someone else who pops into the forums now and then?

There's a few of those.
Old 02-20-22, 05:27 PM
Rolla

Three drafts to formulate a lame putdown says you were the triggered one. That's simple math, too. Have a nice day.
Hope you feel better soon.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-20-22, 06:16 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Damn! Is that the original saddle in the video?
Come on now. They got that at Walmart.
Tell me I'm wrong?
POS
Old 02-20-22, 08:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hope you feel better soon.
Well, you can't argue with figures:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-22, 10:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Here is an Ars Technica/Financial Times accout of the current situation about Peloton's plans to conceal its rust problem:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...xercise-bikes/

Inside “Project Tinman”: Peloton’s plan to conceal rust in its exercise bikes

Company insiders say execs hatched a scheme to cover up corrosion, avoid costly recall.

Old 02-22-22, 10:43 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The more I learn about Peloton, the less I like them as a company. It seems they have something seriously askew with their corporate culture. They had a really good rating on Glassdoor but we’ll see if this holds up after layoffs.
Old 02-22-22, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Here is an Ars Technica/Financial Times accout of the current situation about Peloton's plans to conceal its rust problem:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...xercise-bikes/

Inside “Project Tinman”: Peloton’s plan to conceal rust in its exercise bikes

Company insiders say execs hatched a scheme to cover up corrosion, avoid costly recall.

I find this story very confusing. No one seems to be claiming that the rust problem is anything but cosmetic, so if Peloton is "concealing" the rust, aren't they actually curing the problem?

If they're actually covering up serious corrosion, then everyone who's leaking this story appears to be burying the lead. I'm skeptical this is anything but an attempt to embarrass the company in its attempts to keep its premium brand status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.