Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Today bike suddenly began pulling right

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-07-19, 09:56 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts

I went out for a quick ride this morning on my League Fuji. I rebuilt this frame last year (new cables/cable housing/brake pads/all bearings brand new/replaced grease - for headset/BB/hubs/seatpost greased and bar stem greased.

Zero issues until about 6 weeks back when two flats in 100m so Gatorskins (700 x 23) gone and replaced with Vittoria Rubino (700 x 28). Unsure if relevant but I found riding with the 28mm tires to be harder and steering then seemed sluggish compared to the ride with the narrower tires, but I got used to the ride.

I rode Thursday and Friday for 20km (about 12 miles). Zero issues.

This morning ride started all fine. About 5km (3 miles) I turned left onto a sideroad and steering suddenly felt very sluggish.

I stopped immediately and checked the front. Headset tight, wheel centered, tires fully inflated, brakes not rubbing and bars centered. I'd had no impact. Assumed it must have a been a freak incident and continued. Didn't notice anything odd. Turned left at next intersection but this time had to stop and wait for cars so was fully stopped and foot down. A tractor was approaching with a wide load so I moved towards the right shoulder to give extra room and pulled right off the pavement! This road has only a very narrow grass shoulder and then a grassed ditch. I was moving pretty quick so couldn't stop fast and luckily I was able to ride through ditch.

I stopped immediately and checked the front. Headset tight, wheel centered, tires fully inflated brakes not rubbing and bars centered (exactly as before).

I quit my planned ride and rode home slowly. There was one grade on the way (very slight) and riding down it was unnerving. During the ride I stopped twice. Nothing seemed out of whack and I am at loss to explain it. At home I checked headset for loose parts or binding but nothing noticeable.

Plan

I am going to open up the headset and see if it's just bad bearings but that is a guess. I had planned to strip this bike over the winter anyway and replace bearings and grease throughout as well as all cables and housing and also the headset as starting to rust.

I have a Park ***-1 that I bought after using the string method on a bent frame and by coincidence I just bought a Park FFS-1 straightening tool so if I open the headset up I can check the frame with the ***-1. I don't have a spare fork that will fit a 25inch frame.

Questions

Could a wheel hub "go bad" on just one side?

Could a damaged/dirty brake cable be the cause?

Can photo later if required and update

wesley
Old 10-07-19, 10:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Headset tight. Maybe too tight? Does the fork pivot freely?
Old 10-07-19, 10:53 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Problem might be with the back wheel.
Old 10-07-19, 11:45 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Problem might be with the back wheel.
+1

Bearings don't do that suddenly. Look for something broken: axle, frame, fork, dropout, steerer, etc.

If you can't control the bike, don't ride it until you find something definitively wrong and correct it.
Old 10-07-19, 12:41 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I am going to bet that AnkleWork is correct in his/her assessment that something has broken, likely in the back by the OP's description.
Old 10-07-19, 12:54 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
The only time I had weird steering issues is when I over-tightened the headset. And if I remember correctly it was pulling to the right.
Old 10-07-19, 01:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Debris inside the headset? Loose headset that is tightening as you turn left and then binding? String or debris thrown up by the tire into the bottom headset? Fork issues (crack starting in a blade or steerer tube)?
Old 10-07-19, 01:33 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Seems to turn right under acceleration + freewheel(?) rear hub = check for a broken rear axle first.
Old 10-07-19, 01:38 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Headset cage bearings? perhaps they're arse about face
Old 10-07-19, 01:48 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Given that a bicycle has only two contact points and that to go in a straight line the planes through the wheels always have to be parallel, the only way that the a bike is forcing the fork to be turned one way or the other when going straight is if one or both of the wheels is not aligned with its mounting (either the fork or the frame, depending on which wheel). This could be crack or bend in the fork or in the frame. On the other hand, a tug of the fork to the left could be a cracked headset bearing (or, again, a cracked steer tube on the fork).

Good catch to get off the bike. Let us know what you find when you pull the fork to inspect the headset.
Old 10-07-19, 01:50 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB

Questions

wesley
yes. I've pulled hubs apart that had 1 too many ball bearings in them. That can really mess everything up. Mixing ball bearings from different batches doesn't help either. It's usually better to replace all the ball bearings using new from the same package.

Inspect the entire frame, stem, seat clamps, etc for cracks, including the steerer tube on the fork when you have it out.

I've seen plenty of bikes where someone put cages in the wrong direction or the cages got chewed up due to bad adjustments. Loose balls are usually an improvement. The cages are mostly for quick assembly in the factories.

As pointed out, a broken rear axle will sure make any bike ride squirrely. If you take the wheel out, a broken axle is real obvious, not so much when it's still in the bike where the axle nuts or QR are holding it.
Old 10-07-19, 02:59 PM
WGB 
WGB

Just got back home. Didn't see anything on the front but didn't even think of back!

I won't ride it until I've taken the rear wheel off and inspected it and the frame minutely. If I find nothing there I will return to the headset. Hopefully it's something small.

I did check the headset with a Park 32mm wrench and it was tight. If the headset tightened I am at loss as to why it self tightened since it was tightened last time I checked the stem and seatpost to see they were greased and came free and I've ridden it perhaps 500km since without issues. I would've hand tightened the stem bolt using an allen key but that shouldn't be the issue.

Perhaps this is sign and I'd better just rebuild it now and not wait for winter.

I will post what the cause is when I find it.
Old 10-07-19, 03:13 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Are the frame and fork intact? When my fork broke, it was beyond my imagination, so I wound up checking a lot of arcane things before noticing the obvious.
Old 10-07-19, 04:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Okay. You've had about 10 guys respond with their best guess on this unusual issue. If and when you figure it out, please post back with what was actually wrong.
Old 10-07-19, 04:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
^^^ "I've got three of my best guys on it" like that old Pep Boys commercial.

The suspense is killing me!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-07-19, 05:44 PM
WGB 
WGB

I went out and first looked over bike from stem to stern. No visible damage. I then checked front and rear hubs. No real issues and though I will get wheelset trued on principle the wheels now seem straight with very slight - very slight - wobble to rear. All spokes tight. Brake pads not rubbing. Crankset is not loose. I have had a lock cable wrapped around the TT up against the HT for the past year. I took that off incase it was weighting the right side. I pulled the front wheel and reversed it. I then took a very short ride. It seems better. Possibly several minor corrections have added up to make it safer but I'm still not happy. I believe I will have to advance my rebuild schedule.

Tomorrow I will try adjusting the headset and see if maybe that is too tight. Just baffled how it could have magically tightened.

If it doesn't get better after that I may take it to a local frame builder and see if he has any ideas.
Old 10-07-19, 05:53 PM
WGB 
WGB

Sorry forgot. No cracks found.
Old 10-07-19, 09:39 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by WGB
Yes, but for the reasons stated in my other post (the wheels planes have to be parallel) and because the hub is rigid, and force on one side of the hub is transmitted to the other side. So you can't get the thing pulling to one side due to a sticky bearing on that side. The pull left has to be a frame or fork component.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-07-19, 09:41 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by WGB
If it doesn't get better after that I may take it to a local frame builder and see if he has any ideas.
If the fellow is generous enough to help you, that would be a great learning experience. Good luck.
Old 10-08-19, 06:11 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 154 Posts
wgb-

Swap out the wheels with another bike. Test ride.
Old 10-08-19, 06:21 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Sorry forgot. No cracks found.
Did you try applying pressure on the back drop/forks/frame/tires whilst checking for cracks? You'd likely not see them otherwise if they originated near a connection point.
Old 10-08-19, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
1) headset caged bearings flipped
2) broken rear axle
3) crack at seatstay-seatpost lug
Old 10-08-19, 06:33 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Wheels might be running straight but did you check wheel dish?
You have a frame alignment tool, what's the alignment like?

If everything checks your forks might be out of alignment
Old 10-08-19, 07:11 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Sounds like something is broken. My bet is the frame or fork. I can't see from here, though.
Old 10-08-19, 07:55 AM
WGB 
WGB

As I said it is running better than yesterday morning, now that I reversed the wheel and removed the lock cable.

I pulled on front forks from either side and same with rear triangle. Both sides. No cracks found anywhere. I set the bike up in the stand and turned it so it was standing end and the wheel didn't flop over. Both wheels fully seated in fork dropouts and centered. I even photo'd the front axle from either side and compared the photos.

Using the alignment tool and also string test the frame appears straight.

I plan to bring to the Co-op this evening and have the mechanics look at it. Between now and then I have some wife jobs but will try and replace the headset bearings. Hoping having a second set of eyes will see what I didn't.

Please note that when I something is working that doesn't mean it is working, it's just that I think it's working which might not be the same thing!

The forks are parallel (see photo 3)

Wheel is centered between forks (photo is offset to right)

Bike balances on end without front wheel flopping

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.